Jun 12, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #138 of 182
Just to add to the list:
Musical Fidelity X-DAC v8
$1499
SS output or Tube buffered switchable with button on the front
Burr-Brown SRC4392 Sample Rate Converter
Burr-Brown DSD1792 24bit/192kHz DAC
Burr-Brown PCM2706 for USB
2 Phillips 6922 Triodes for tube buffer before final SS output stage (can be bypassed)

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #140 of 182
Thanks... keep the details coming.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #141 of 182
I like the Benchmark DAC1 USB so much that I just bought a second one...this time in silver.

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #143 of 182
By the way, if you haven't yet bought a Benchmark DAC1 USB, you need to.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #144 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No thanks!
I am perfectly happy with my Electrocompaniet ECD1.
lambda.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #145 of 182
Quote:

I've heard it.. it's an improvement only so far as benchmark dacs are compared to each other. it is still not as good as my VDA-2.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #146 of 182
So in the $2500 or less price range, which DAC would have the best overall SQ with Jazz and female vocalists? I also want a true balanced capability in case I get my AKG 701 modified for balanced output.

I will be using a MACBOOKPRO as my source with apple lossless and itunes.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #147 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post should be stickied...

Actually, I just looked up this thread to suggest the same...

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #148 of 182
Maybe consider this Dan the Man:
http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/usbdac.html

They are 3500~ new but you can find the used ones (Well they just got sold, but for between 1850-2190 apparently. I have the non usb version basically and its pretty good, a lot of depth. Granodemostasa used to have the version down and thought it was alllrightttt, solid, but it had its deficiencies. I think these more expensive versions are a level up for sure and Gordon Rankin has remarked that his usb dacs are a bit better than the non usb versions... but I can't vouch for that ;p

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #149 of 182
Quote:

DACs seem to be a somewhat personal thing here, but I would like to at least put in my two cents worth in support of the DAC1-USB. To my ears this is a very fine sounding DAC, especially when outputted to a good amp that is synergistic with it - personally I find the DAC1-USB matches very well with the GS-1 and produces a smooth but detailed and highly resolving sound. I've had a couple of very high-end CDPs and I find that I much prefer the sound of the DAC1 over the analogue outputs of these units. I suspect that this synergy thing may account for why some people prefer one DAC over another, and certainly in the case of the DAC1, there is no question in my mind that its internal headphone amp does not do justice to what the DAC1 is really capable of. So, if you're comparing combined DAC-amps I wouldn't be too surprised if the DAC1 might fall short to some ears, however as a stand-alone DAC, it is right up there with the best of the lot.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #150 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DACs seem to be a somewhat personal thing here, but I would like to at least put in my two cents worth in support of the DAC1-USB. To my ears this is a very fine sounding DAC, especially when outputted to a good amp that is synergistic with it - personally I find the DAC1-USB matches very well with the GS-1 and produces a smooth but detailed and highly resolving sound. I've had a couple of very high-end CDPs and I find that I much prefer the sound of the DAC1 over the analogue outputs of these units. I suspect that this synergy thing may account for why some people prefer one DAC over another, and certainly in the case of the DAC1, there is no question in my mind that its internal headphone amp does not do justice to what the DAC1 is really capable of. So, if you're comparing combined DAC-amps I wouldn't be too surprised if the DAC1 might fall short to some ears, however as a stand-alone DAC, it is right up there with the best of the lot.

The best interconnect is no interconnect.

I actually like the sound of the DAC1 USB's internal headphone amp...that is to say it has almost no sound of its own. I think it is a fairly colorless representation of whatever the beautiful DAC is doing musically. To me, the character and synergy of the headphones makes a far bigger difference. I love the DAC1 USB with the Denon's.

With the Grados? Not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back