All the DACs money can buy...
Sep 24, 2006 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi.
This is a list of all the common dacs that I've ran across. If there are more, please add them to the list. The prices reflect their "new" price, or current price if they are no longer being made. For the Chinese dacs i tried to guess what shipping would be.

List of Digital to Analogue Converters
:
Dacs you can't buy:
a. "Dac from bufferfly-look-alike box" $800-1600
b. "Dac from discrete maker" $499-599
c. upcoming mini-dac from Headroom $ only Tyll knows
d. Zhaolu D 3.0

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 182
Item 46) Musical Fidelity X-Dac V3 can be purchased from Music Direct as a Demo for $475 plus $7 S&H. I know 'cause I just got one.
biggrin.gif

By the way good list, thanks.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 182
The D-01 should really be listed as $32K(Dual Mono).

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 182
… and the RME ADI-2 – 639$ + Shipping

I also read somewhere about the MSB Link DAC III but I don’t know the price.

Please correct 63) Bel Canot with Bel Canto

If in the future you could add the links to the manufacturer’s websites (or more …), this thread really could become the new bible for everyone looking for a dac.

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 182
WOW! Almost all links already added! CONGRATULATIONS! GREAT JOB!

I which I had this kind of information when I started looking for a dac (that I didn’t buy yet btw). It would have saved me lots and lots of searching. Hours ......
blink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 182
I vote for STICKY status.....

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 182
Very useful. A sticky pending a little clean-up would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 182
I've heard word that a new DAC might be hitting the market place, but I don't know when. At the So Cal, Craig had his Moth Audio DAC from the late 90s and it out did the legendary 508.24 and everyone that compared them confirmed it.

After the meet, I mentioned to Craig that he should make another DAC and a few days ago he told me that he's talking with the Moth Hyper DAC designer. Right now, they are currently brain storming an updated version.

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 182
i'm gonna edit this throughout the week... as more dacs and info come in.
thanks.. i can't put the moth dac unless i figure out the price (before or in the future).... i am hungry for that moth dac though... count me in as interested
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 182
I vote:STICKY, in the "Source Components" section?

Great research granodemostasa!!

can I suggest, maybe adding what DAC chip each unit uses, and what OP amps (if any) are used on the analog side?

Some of that info might be proprietary info though.

Garrett

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I vote:STICKY, in the "Source Components" section?

Great research granodemostasa!!

can I suggest, maybe adding what DAC chip each unit uses, and what OP amps (if any) are used on the analog side?

Some of that info might be proprietary info though.

Garrett

i wanted to... what i'm having troube on is getting the tabs to work so that it doesn't look all piled atop and unorganized.. for example, if you look at the zhaolu section, the a./b. things are on the same level as the numbers...

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 182
Try using the "CODE" tags.

How about including whether each DAC is tube or solid state based (Maybe also non-oversampling, oversampling, etc.)?

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Try using the "CODE" tags.

How about including whether each DAC is tube or solid state based (Maybe also non-oversampling, oversampling, etc.)?

I'm not sure how to use "code" tags...
how does the top "dac in a box" look like- as a model for the rest of them?

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
I'm not sure how to use "code" tags...
how does the top "dac in a box" look like- as a model for the rest of them?

Click on that pound button that is next to the quote button, and then just insert your formatted text in there.

The "dac in a box" model looks great, though my brain doesn't like adding the US dollar sign at the end of the number (Just looks unnatural with "$," as opposed to other forms of currencies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back