All NEW WhipMOD and WhipLOD; the next audiophile iPod 5.5 generation Modification!!
Sep 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #61 of 259
Hi -
I see you also own a pair of B&W P5's - so do I (love 'em!). I have a Whipmod 120G and all I can say is that I have never heard such a massive sound improvement for so little money. It's insane. Comparing my Whipmod to my stock 120GB iPod Classic is a little like comparing some crazy high end system (maybe Aerial 20T's driven by a bunch of Musical Fidelity electronics) to a home-theater-in-a-box you might get at Best Buy. I don't know how it compares to other mods, but I can tell you that it totally smokes the stock iPod classic. Layers of detail, depth & ambience, soundstage detail - you name it, it's way better. Even my 7-year daughter can hear the difference. Also, I find most electronics have a very hard time reproducing strings. Not so on the Whipmod! No hint of stridency at all! Just incredibly smooth, liquid, yet ultra detailed sound. Amazing!

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #62 of 259
Craig,

Sent you a PM regarding Whipmod and LOD.

Thanks

A

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #63 of 259

Quote:
Hi -
I see you also own a pair of B&W P5's - so do I (love 'em!). I have a Whipmod 120G and all I can say is that I have never heard such a massive sound improvement for so little money. It's insane. Comparing my Whipmod to my stock 120GB iPod Classic is a little like comparing some crazy high end system (maybe Aerial 20T's driven by a bunch of Musical Fidelity electronics) to a home-theater-in-a-box you might get at Best Buy. I don't know how it compares to other mods, but I can tell you that it totally smokes the stock iPod classic. Layers of detail, depth & ambience, soundstage detail - you name it, it's way better. Even my 7-year daughter can hear the difference. Also, I find most electronics have a very hard time reproducing strings. Not so on the Whipmod! No hint of stridency at all! Just incredibly smooth, liquid, yet ultra detailed sound. Amazing!

Which LOD are you using??  The Reference?  Getting more and more interested in this, but having a hard time justifying the $300+ fat cable vs. the standard, lesser priced iMod cable being offered

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #64 of 259

Quote:
Which LOD are you using??  The Reference?  Getting more and more interested in this, but having a hard time justifying the $300+ fat cable vs. the standard, lesser priced iMod cable being offered

The Standard WhipLOD is very good, but the Fat Boy is in a different league.   If you can afford it, just close your eyes and push the button.  The difference is worth it.  Just my 2 cents.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #65 of 259

Quote:
The Standard WhipLOD is very good, but the Fat Boy is in a different league.   If you can afford it, just close your eyes and push the button.  The difference is worth it.  Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, you PMed me awhile back and told me that: was just trying to get another opinion on the lesser-priced cable.

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #66 of 259

Quote:

Can you give us a more detailed impression of the Fat Boy and why it is that good? It is really a big jump in price from all the other LODs out there so ....

Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #67 of 259
Please see my WhipMOD/WhipLOD review (in sig block) for impressions on the "Fat Boy" LOD.  My reaction was the same as yours when I saw the price tag, but in the end the difference was worth it for me.  I have a second one on order without the BG caps now.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #68 of 259

Please see my WhipMOD/WhipLOD review (in sig block) for impressions on the "Fat Boy" LOD.  My reaction was the same as yours when I saw the price tag, but in the end the difference was worth it for me.  I have a second one on order without the BG caps now.

Why the 2nd one without the bg caps warp?

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #69 of 259
to put between a new Nano and the RSA Shadow...:)  ultraportable setup.  I just can't go back to the regular--also excellent--WhipLOD after my Fat Boy experience...
basshead.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #70 of 259

Quote:

I read the review, but what is it that makes it worth the price tag? I have an RWA Imod set up right now. Thinking of keeping that for now, but getting a 4g 20G ipod whipmodded and then purchase the WhipLOD but not sure which one as I have not been able to read detailed impressions.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #71 of 259

Quote:
I read the review, but what is it that makes it worth the price tag? I have an RWA Imod set up right now. Thinking of keeping that for now, but getting a 4g 20G ipod whipmodded and then purchase the WhipLOD but not sure which one as I have not been able to read detailed impressions.

Thanks

I wonder the same thing: what EXACTLY makes this cable worth $300+?  Even reviewer Warp admits if you already have the iMod from Redwine, it may be a hard decision to switch.  Think that before I spend $800 or so for the entire WHiplash experience, I'll wait for more reviews, comments and opinions.  I used to own a 5.5g iMod and ALO cabling but sold it for the larger capacity iPod Classic--the newer configured slim iMods were not available then--and honestly the Classic with decent cabling and a decent amp are perfectly OK for me and my portable needs.  So someeone's really gotta sell me on spending $800 for a portable setup before I take the leap

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #72 of 259

Quote:
I wonder the same thing: what EXACTLY makes this cable worth $300+?  Even reviewer Warp admits if you already have the iMod from Redwine, it may be a hard decision to switch.  Think that before I spend $800 or so for the entire WHiplash experience, I'll wait for more reviews, comments and opinions.  I used to own a 5.5g iMod and ALO cabling but sold it for the larger capacity iPod Classic--the newer configured slim iMods were not available then--and honestly the Classic with decent cabling and a decent amp are perfectly OK for me and my portable needs.  So someeone's really gotta sell me on spending $800 for a portable setup before I take the leap

Perfectly valid argument.  I did have the iPod Classic, but the sound signature of those is quite below the iMod and especially the WhipMod.  ALO makes decent cables I used to own their SXC LOD ($200) myself.  The Whiplash edge primarily stems from the fact that only Craig is allowed to resell the superior TWag cable from Cryo-Parts.  When you have a TWag LOD/IEM recable and a WhipMOD, you are doing portable systems matching.

If you are happy with your current configuration--whatever that may be--I'm not sure you should spend that kind of money either.  Would you get considerable improvement out of it?  Yes, I'm positive on that based on my experience and others.  Would you get $800 worth?   Only you can answer that question.

BTW, what I said on the iMod vs. WhipMOD is that I think that most of the improvement comes from the cable upgrade (regular vs. fat boy LOD), but to my ears the WhipMOD is still superior sounding to the iMod.  This is why I am keeping the WhipMOD and selling the iMod, despite smaller storage capacity.  All reviews are subjective to an extent.  Hopefully others will dedicate some of their time to chime in with their impressions.

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #73 of 259

Quote:

Perfectly valid argument.  I did have the iPod Classic, but the sound signature of those is quite below the iMod and especially the WhipMod.  ALO makes decent cables I used to own their SXC LOD ($200) myself.  The Whiplash edge primarily stems from the fact that only Craig is allowed to resell the superior TWag cable from Cryo-Parts.  When you have a TWag LOD/IEM recable and a WhipMOD, you are doing portable systems matching.

If you are happy with your current configuration--whatever that may be--I'm not sure you should spend that kind of money either.  Would you get considerable improvement out of it?  Yes, I'm positive on that based on my experience and others.  Would you get $800 worth?   Only you can answer that question.

BTW, what I said on the iMod vs. WhipMOD is that I think that most of the improvement comes from the cable upgrade (regular vs. fat boy LOD), but to my ears the WhipMOD is still superior sounding to the iMod.  This is why I am keeping the WhipMOD and selling the iMod, despite smaller storage capacity.  All reviews are subjective to an extent.  Hopefully others will dedicate some of their time to chime in with their impressions.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on my 4th gen ipod and having it upgraded to whipmod level ... and then buying the Fatboy. Already own the Twag OM, so the synergy should be there. But it does raise the question of amp. What kind of amp would match this combo? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #74 of 259

Quote:

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on my 4th gen ipod and having it upgraded to whipmod level ... and then buying the Fatboy. Already own the Twag OM, so the synergy should be there. But it does raise the question of amp. What kind of amp would match this combo? Inquiring minds want to know.

I could be wrong, but I thought you needed a 5.xG iPod to get the WhipMOD mods done.  The ALO RX is not a bad amp, so I suggest you try that first.  

If you have or are planning to get a TWagged JH13 Pro, you MUST get a TTVJ Slim from Todd Green.  The synergy there is amazing.  At the last meet Craig "stole" mine after listening to it for a few.

The best sounding "fat" form factor portable amp I have at the moment is the iBasso Toucan P1.

The most practical and best sounding slim amp I have for the Fat Boy LOD and the WhipMOD is the Pico Slim.  The Shadow sounds great as well, but because of the form factor it's harder to strap-on/pocket, but it has insane battery life.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #75 of 259

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I thought you needed a 5.xG iPod to get the WhipMOD mods done.  The ALO RX is not a bad amp, so I suggest you try that first.  

If you have or are planning to get a TWagged JH13 Pro, you MUST get a TTVJ Slim from Todd Green.  The synergy there is amazing.  At the last meet Craig "stole" mine after listening to it for a few.

The best sounding "fat" form factor portable amp I have at the moment is the iBasso Toucan P1.

The most practical and best sounding slim amp I have for the Fat Boy LOD and the WhipMOD is the Pico Slim.  The Shadow sounds great as well, but because of the form factor it's harder to strap-on/pocket, but it has insane battery life.

Hi Warp thanks for the info. I think I will start with Rx and then go from there. Right now I have a pair of JH13s and Rooth LS8 (8 driver) customs with Craig's Twag Om. So I am on a quest for synergy - TTVJ sounds intriguing as doe the iiBasso Toucan. I suspect that with the toucan I would need to get my Twag reterminated because it is a balanced amp.

The shadow, never thought of that. I am not so worried about the form factor as I carry it in my commuter bag on the Tokyo trains.

FYI - As for the 5th gen comment for whipmod upgrade, this is from Craig at the beginning of this thread -

WhipMOD upgrade service.
$200
You send in your current 4th or 5th generation iPod and we perform the upgrade. Turn around time is about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again

Please send the ipod to:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back