All music lovers should take a look.
Jul 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 212

alexxfloo

Head-Fier
PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THREAD, PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE INFORMED AND MAKE OWN JUDGEMENT.

This problem is a delicate one because people which spent a lot of money on snake oil won't belive what i tell them, not easily.

This is a special thread, a thread which i think should help all save money and relax a little, an eye-opener. This is hearing to the actual music knowing that there is nothing wrong with your common cable. I am an engineer and i look at things a little different. Why? Because i tend to use my knowledge to make my own opinion and not beliveing what others say before i judge it.
What is the actual problem? Little companys wanting you to belive they own special cables for huge profit. These i call "exotic cables". I couldn't stop laughing when i first heard the expression "directional cable". This is the best BS i have ever heard. I cannot take this anymore, little companys getting your money by means of psihological human problems. Yes, all people have faults in judging and logics. REMEMBER! The music memory of human hearing is 5-10, the rest is subjective.

For now i'll just continue with 2 links, got them from google, googleing "audio cable myths". I'll post later the rest of my ideas and opinions. Read them up. I DO NOT ADVERTISE THESE SITES!!!

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/top-ten-signs-an-audio-cable-vendor-is-selling-you-snake-oil

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/Cable_Controversy/Cable_Controversy.htm

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 212
This isn't going to change anything for believers. The only way to win in the cable controversy is to stay out of the discussion and spend money only on things that you feel are important.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 212
People have the ability to change their mind. I belive they do, it's going to be hard, some will not succeed but if some do i'll be happy. I just want the marketing BS to stop. Directional cryogenic tefloned multi stranded super copper best in brand cables, just for 150$ 3 meters. Please...

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 212
In a hobby as subjective as this, there is no point in 're-educating' the masses. 

EDIT: Even if cables cause only psychological improvements, shouldn't those that enjoy that psychological boost be able to enjoy it without the constant criticism and judgement of those who choose not to drink the proverbial kool-aid?

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 212
I was never a big believer in cables myself, although I dont use cheap garbage cables.  I make my own from Canare Star Quad terminated with Switchcraft plugs.  A 3ft pair of interconnects costs me ~$8 to assemble.  I used to use Monoprice cables previously, but developed a severe dislike of them because the cable they use is far too rigid, and the the plugs dont have much bite to them.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 212
logwed, the problem with cables is that it's like trying to explain to a six year-old why tying a cape around his neck doesn't allow him to fly. You can bring in an aviation engineer, but the kid is either going to cry or pitch a fit. Either way, you become the jerk for pointing out reality and that wishes and desires don't change reality. You want to pat the believers on the head and tell them to have fun, but it's not so easy to do with adults.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 212
I AB'd crappy RCA cables to my cheap $60 King Cobra RCA and there was quite a large difference. Maybe it was because the stock RCA were really, really crap in the first place. Nonetheless, I love cables. I love all the types of connectors, sheilding etc for them. Some look amazing and I am tempted to buy it just for its looks. 

When I get some Nordost Valkyrja wire, I will get RCA connectors on them and compare to my KingCobra and stock RCA cable. I don't care if what I hear will be placebo. If I am happy with my system, I don't care for others biased opinions. What matters is if I am happy with my system or not. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 212
Gotta love placebo. I used all sort of cables to connect to my gear and never once noticed a hint of a difference. I bet none of those cable believers would do well in a blind test.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 212
What I've always wondered, is, do HDMI cables make a difference? I would think they do, since there are actually differences in bandwidth and 1.2 vs 1.3.

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 212

Quote:
Gotta love placebo. I used all sort of cables to connect to my gear and never once noticed a hint of a difference. I bet none of those cable believers would do well in a blind test.

I would love to do a blind test of cables some day 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 212

Quote:
logwed, the problem with cables is that it's like trying to explain to a six year-old why tying a cape around his neck doesn't allow him to fly. You can bring in an aviation engineer, but the kid is either going to cry or pitch a fit. Either way, you become the jerk for pointing out reality and that wishes and desires don't change reality. You want to pat the believers on the head and tell them to have fun, but it's not so easy to do with adults.

Super 'Directional Cable' Man!

post of the year so far. In my humble opinion.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 212

Quote:
What I've always wondered, is, do HDMI cables make a difference? I would think they do, since there are actually differences in bandwidth and 1.2 vs 1.3.

No for 99.9% of setups from HDMI 1.3a onwards.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

Audioholics 'AV University' section is fantastic for real solid scientific information on anything home theatre related. hydrogenaudio.org is fantastic for your digital audio format / computer science side of scientific information.  
Head-fi's audio science forum (this subforum!) is slowly getting there but tbh, it's not quite as useful / established as the two suggested. As an audiophile, you must have knowledge of the science behind sound, psychology wise, computer science wise and the engineering side as well, not only for your own knowledge, but pessimistically, not for you to get scammed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back