All music lovers should take a look.
Jul 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 212
I don't really believe that. Without getting into the finer points of jurisprudence I don't believe all morality should be codified, and things like marketing disputes are probably better off being resolved by more flexible consumer tribunals than the rigid and expensive court system.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 212
Quote:

Maybe you should contact your law maker and tell them there ought-ta be a law.

L3000.gif

There is a law: it's called false advertising.  Unfortunately it may require expanding on to encompass what I consider blatant fraud by a few individuals.  Certain cable makers aren't bad: Blue Jeans makes no outrageous claims and tries to stay grounded in fact.  Others advertising things such as "quantum tunneling" are another story entirely, or a certain maker that built a boutique USB cable that didn't even meet USB specifications.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #33 of 212
Ypoknons wrote:

...and things like marketing disputes are probably better off being resolved by more flexible consumer tribunals than the rigid and expensive court system.

Sometimes it's better to let people educate themselves via the caveat emptor model and let consumers decide what they want by showing their support, or lack of support via the act of opening or closing their wallets.

Shike wrote:

There is a law: it's called false advertising.

Then you need to contact your lawmaker and ask them why, as a lawmaker, they don't insist that previously passed laws, be enforced.

Me?  I'm looking forward to a set of custom made headphone cables for a HD-650 to expectedly arrive, next week.  I guarantee you this, even if they don't improve the sound quality of the headphones, which I hope they will, they're sure going look better than the cables provided by Sennheiser.

Personally, I don't want to have to buy a standalone headphone amp or DAC/Amp in which to clutter up the computer table.

gs1000.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 212
Quote:
Then you need to contact your lawmaker and ask them why, as a lawmaker, they don't insist that previously passed laws, be enforced.

I can already tell you why, not enough complaints, 30-day guarantees (just ask for your money back will be the advise you most often get), and the companies are small compared to other scams.  The only company that my get nailed is Monster Cable, and they tread lightly compared to those that make the largest claims (though I wish they'd get slapped for their dishonest displays).

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #35 of 212
I can already tell you why,...

Well, ya gotta give Monster, credit for their marketing.  The ones that get me are all the snake oils being sold which basically claim to give you a brand new motor for your sad, broken down old car.  This after using only one bottle of what ever it is that you have in your hand, picked up off the shelf at the local auto parts store.  Hope does spring eternal and it's only through experience that we'll find out, the spring never existed.

beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #36 of 212
Shike, if you look at the false advertising laws, you'll notice that the vast majority of cable ads are carefully written to avoid them. You shouldn't need more than one guess why that is.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #37 of 212
Quote:
Shike, if you look at the false advertising laws, you'll notice that the vast majority of cable ads are carefully written to avoid them. You shouldn't need more than one guess why that is.

I know that, which is why I mentioned needing the law to expand to encompass them.  That's also why I mentioned Monster treading lightly, and the size of the company too.  I'm guessing you're referencing the fact that certain terms aren't defined to a certain legal extent allowing them to slide by.  Others though are more blatant ("quantum tunneling" in a power cable for example is outright false.).

Small companies often do get away with ridiculous claims merely due to how small they are.  They can easily interchange random terms they make up, change branding, etc. to try and get away with it.  Monster Cable on the other hand depends too much on their branding, more so than certain higher priced exotica brands I imagine (difference between individuals looking for the quick buck and those in for the long haul).

I think you'll find the carefulness of the wording depends on the size, scope, and ethics of the company.  Regardless even if the FTC shuts down one five more will merely pop-up in its place simply due to the fact that people are willing to buy into it.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #38 of 212
We live in a world of non morality. Money and sex are the only things that rule the planet, and if we count that money can buy sex that lives you with only one factor that decides human behaviour. A lot of us cheat our wifes, screw our friends, our family so why companys shouldn't screw us? BUT there are some of us that don't accept this, and i am one, that's why i started this thread. I want to help people understand when they are fooled, but i can't help people who don't want to be helped. If you really wanna buy an expensive cable, ok do it, i can't stop you. But if only one person reads this thread and understands and with that money he buys some nice music form the store then i made my job. If you want to buy another cable just for looks that i really can't understand, because music is all about hearing. Just think of this: with 200-400$ u give to a nice looking  sparkling 0.000001% better sound cable u could have bought 13-26 CD's with music you've never heard before.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #39 of 212

Quote:
You do know that in this Post-Modern world, sans a moral compass with definition, there is no right and wrong as there's only personal opinion or that what's been codified.

Nonsense! Mother nature has evolved in us a strong sense of right and wrong. I understand that some folks can't see that as they are blinded by their own 'brightly shining intellect'. Well, I would happily pit mother nature against any human intellect. My bet is that she will kill you. It might take a few years, but she will win. Codify that.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #40 of 212

Quote:
Nonsense! Mother nature has evolved in us a strong sense of right and wrong. I understand that some folks can't see that as they are blinded by their own 'brightly shining intellect'. Well, I would happily pit mother nature against any human intellect. My bet is that she will kill you. It might take a few years, but she will win. Codify that.

I'd be very careful there.  It's very difficult to separate a basic sense of right and wrong from intellectual rationalisation of what we deem to be right or wrong based on the facts of the matter a) as we see them and b) how we evaluate their significance.  We can be off the mark on both counts, i.e., with regard to facts and with regard to how we interpret the facts. 

So one may have a 'strong sense' of something being wrong and in the end, the opposite is actually the case.  There are many who create a lot of terrible suffering based on the strong sense of the chaos they're creating being the right thing to do, usually for the greater good.

Anyway, consumer cable advocates believe in what they do.  They share in their beliefs accordingly.  I don't see where the issue of moral conduct comes into this.

OTOH, cable producers are a different matter.  BTW, for hi-fi, this doesn't end with just cables.  Cables get a huge rap but there's little if any for so much other gear and their developments that sport differences not humanly discernible in those same blind tests that cables fail with.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #41 of 212

Quote:
We live in a world of non morality. Money and sex are the only things that rule the planet, and if we count that money can buy sex that lives you with only one factor that decides human behaviour.

More explicitly - Food and sex - this applies to all living creatures in the living planet.  Within society, money gains access to both and without food one can say goodbye to law and order and welcome chaos.  For e.g. a lion, instead of money, it is killing capability that gains sex and food, the same for human when said chaos falls upon civilisation - hence, once again right and wrong becomes redefined.   Why do they say the good girls always like the bad boys? 

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #42 of 212
Alexxfloo wrote:

If you want to buy another cable just for looks that i really can't understand, because music is all about hearing.

And sex is about procreating the species.  What difference does it make what you think regarding what I want to spend my money on?  Who knows if they'll make a difference in the sound signature but I don't think anybody will be able to say with a straight face that they're not cool looking.  One doesn't need to understand why I do things but for the record, I'm happy to tell you that I willingly sent the money off and win, lose or draw, I eagerly await the cables arrival. 

JB197 wrote:

Nonsense! Mother nature has evolved in us a strong sense of right and wrong.

There is no "Mother nature" and there is no inherent "right and wrong" as there's only an unfeeling planet revolving around an insignificant star that in about five billion years is gonna eat all the planets which are in close orbit.  FWIW, there's only what people will put up with before the need for self-preservation kicks in.  One only needs to look around the world and research it's history over the last hundred years to see the falseness of what you write.  No DBT's needed to vet the truth of what I write as it's all common knowledge.

My bet is that she will kill you. It might take a few years, but she will win. Codify that.

Don't need to as pretty much every human over the age of thirty knows that nobody gets out alive.  And seeing that I'm pushing sixty, I've already beaten the odds so I guess you'll lose that bet.  Now the question, how many bets are you going need to lay down every few years, before you collect on your bet because I finally died of old age?  Nature doesn't scare me because nature is as predictable as the day is long.  Nothing happening in nature today that hasn't happened before.  It's people who scare me.  Why?  Cause ya never know when they're gonna stick the knife in ya.

Ya gotta love anti-cable guy's altruism as they just can't stand somebody enjoying and telling others about how much they like their cables.

L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #44 of 212
Now you're being rude but if I did, what would you care?  Maybe you're jealous of my on order cables.

beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #45 of 212
Sorry, but i really don't care about how you spend your money but i just want for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to be carefull and realise that cables won't improve his system. Maybe you have a lot of money you want sexy cables but others don't, they just want better sound. I am having a sign up with " Be carefull on exotic cables" on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back