Alison Krauss Union Station fans
Apr 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 52
I just bought this today as a birthday present to myself.  All I can say is I totally agree with everything ASR said earlier.  This is the first disk I've bought in a long time and I can see myself listening to it a lot.  I'm on my second listen right now.  The first pass was with DT880's and this time it's with DT48e's.  The detail of this recording is outstanding.  I, like one of the earlier posters, wish that all musicians would make the effort to have this level of recording and mastering.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 52
I am a huge AKUS fan to begin with, so take that for what you will, but I think Paper Airplane is an outstanding record. Great sonics, as with all AKUS records. And the music here is excellent. Several songs are just good, but quite a few are absolutely outstanding. I was afraid this might be a letdown, but it is not in the least, it's a very strong record, and is going to be in very heavy rotation around here for quite a while.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #19 of 52
I can say that I have listened to this disk daily since I bought it.  Sometimes 2 or 3 times back to back.  There is not a bad track on this disk.  As I said earlier I wish all musicians made the effort to make their recordings sound this good.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 52
I picked up the Target edition with the 6 extra songs ,I only listened to it once with my T5p/Pico amp/ Dac out of my laptop.
If you are a AKUS fan you will not be disappointed.I agree with the above posters on the sound quality.

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 52
Another band that AKUS fans should check out are The Greencards.  Also "new-grass", also female fronted, and super well recorded.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 52
Thanks for the recommendation on the Greencards Skylab!  I sampled a few of their tracks on Pandora, and they sound great even in a low-def stream.  I just may have to pick up an album or two.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 52
I would start with Weather & Water. Then go for Fascination, the latest, and then to Viridian. But all three are really excellent, IMO.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 52
Nice! I hope you enjoy them. Let us know what you think!

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #28 of 52

Quote:
Do you know the Cowboy Junkies? Their singer, Margo Timmins has a lovely voice.
Seek out their acoustic live album the Trinity Sessions.

The Cowboy Junkies are excellent!  They also have a "Revisited" album of the Trinity Sessions, where they they've gone back and re-performed the songs with some changes.  Good stuff.

I've listened to "Paper Airplane" by Allison Krause & Union Station.  I guess it's taking me some time to get used to.

Also, another to consider might be Lucinda Williams.  She has a voice like a roughed-up Margo Timmins (probably the best way to sum it up).

May 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 52

Quote:
Nice! I hope you enjoy them. Let us know what you think!

I received The Greencards - Weather and Water yesterday.  Listening to it now for the first time.  The musicians are certainly talented.  I like the female singers voice, but not as well as AK's.  Alison's singing on the new Paper Airplane CD is amazing.  Thanks for the recommendation.  You are spot on about it being well recorded.

May 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #30 of 52
Yep, that's about right - great music, great recording, and I like her voice, but not as much as Alison's, that is for sure. But there are not a lot of singers as talented as Ms. Krauss :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back