Alison Krauss Union Station fans

Discussion in 'Music' started by kunalraiker, May 2, 2010.
First

Back
1 2
Page 3 of 4
Next

Last
  1. tunarat
    I've been an Alison fan for decades, and not to rain on the parade but she was always a better violinist than a vocalist. She decided to go for the money, and I have no problem with that whatsoever. She could pluck the ..... out of that fiddle back in the day though. Jerry Douglas holds the fort in that band now, he's a master of his instrument

2. BmWr75
    How come Jerry Douglas is not considered a member of Union Station?  Recently saw him presented as a "guest" I think it was.  Could be his decision I guess.  Maybe he doesn't play with U.S. when A.K. is not with them.

3. Skylab Contributor
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure I agree with you, Tunarat. I too have been a big AK/AKUS fan for a very long time. I think she has matured a lot as a singer. Very early in her career her voice was a little too cutsie. But I think she has evolved into a fantastic singer. Not just a good singer, but beyond that. Which is not to take away from her fiddle playing, which is also excellent to be sure.

4. BmWr75
    +1 on what Skylab said.  AK's singing on the new Paper Airplane CD is amazing.

5. tunarat
    Oh, I'm not saying she isn't a great vocalist, she certainly is! That wasn't meant as criticism. Just mentioning that she was an amazing fiddle player when she was much younger and it's just ashamed she doesn't play more. But I understand, you can't be a commercial success playing hardcore bluegrass.

6. Skylab Contributor
    Gotcha. I understand your point. She actually plays more fiddle on the songs she doesn't sing, at least when I saw them live a few years back.

7. tunarat
    She'll be here in Oregon again in June, should be fun!

8. BmWr75

Quote:

Just received Fascination today, another keeper.  It a very different record than Weather and Water, I like it though.  Will order Viridian now.

9. Skylab Contributor
    Cool!  Glad you are digging it.  I especially like "Davey Jones" from "Fascination", but the whole album is very good.

10. BmWr75
    Skylab,

You ever listened to The Wailin' Jennys.  Not really Bluegrass, but great female harmonies.

11. Skylab Contributor
    I have only heard a little of them, but I liked what little I heard. Do you have a particular album you recommend?

Another worthwhile band along those lines is Uncle Earl. Great female harmonies, and pretty straight ahead bluegrass most of the time.

12. BmWr75
    "40 Days" was the first cd I purchased, suggest that would be a good one to start.

13. skeptic

Quote:

I'm a big fan of their album: "Bright Morning Stars"  

14. jsamp05
    I have tickets to AKUS in September at Red Rocks.  It's going to be a fantastic show, can't wait.

15. fatcat28037 Contributor

Quote:

My wife and I saw their show in Charlotte last year, it was outstanding. Their play-list highlights everyone and their sound system is incredible.

First

Back
1 2
Page 3 of 4
Next

Last