Alison Krauss Union Station fans
May 2, 2010 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

kunalraiker

Headphoneus Supremus
I really enjoy their symphony, their recording are so clean, pleasure listening to their music.
Alison's voice is so sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted more suggestions on similar artists or groups.

May 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 52
I too am a fan of AKUS, love AK's voice and the playing by Union Station is amazing. Never ceases to amaze how fast they can play.
smily_headphones1.gif

The following artists have a direct relation to AK:
- Jeannie Kendall (guest spot by AK on one track)
- Nickel Creek (two albums produced by AK)
- Rhonda Vincent (friend of AK)

There's also Bearfoot, sort of a similar style.

May 2, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 52
If you like Allison Krauss, give The Wailin Jennys a shot. They have similar folk roots and, in my opinion, are very, very good.

May 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 52
Do you know the Cowboy Junkies? Their singer, Margo Timmins has a lovely voice.
Seek out their acoustic live album the Trinity Sessions.

May 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know the Cowboy Junkies? Their singer, Margo Timmins has a lovely voice.
Seek out their acoustic live album the Trinity Sessions.

I'am listening to cowboy junkies, they are so nice, amazing soundstage ,very sweet voice and what awesome recording,definitely recommend their platinum and gold collection.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 52
Bump for an old thread with the right title.

I recieved word from Amazon yesterday AK&US new CD Paper Airplane shipped, that's 5 days before the April 12 release date.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00484HYPS 

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 52
I went out to get my copy of Paper Airplane today and have listened to it a couple times already.

Somehow the word "amazing" doesn't seem appropriate, but the album is nonetheless amazing. It has the otherworldly time & place feel of Raising Sand with the slow pacing & intimacy of Forget About It to form something practically surreal. Not really any "fast" hoppy tracks (just a couple faster songs) but it doesn't need them. Listening to Alison sing is like being in a dream and this album really enhances a dream quality. 
smile.gif
Will definitely be spinning this CD a lot, I suspect.

FYI: they're performing on Letterman's show tomorrow night (4/13) and are on tour this year too. Complete tour info up over at alisonkrauss.com. Can't wait to see them live again later this year! (Saw them last year at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival.)

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 52
Can't believe I almost missed this! Time to get up to date on releases from bands I like. I've only listened to the 30 second samples so far but this will be added to cart. Thanks for the heads up!

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 52
Another great album by Alison Krauss & Union Station starting with Alison’s vocal on the title track Paper Airplane and Dan Tyminski’s upbeat Dust Bowl Children to the ballad Bonita & Bill Butler and the closing My Opening Farewell.[size=10pt][/size]
 [size=10pt][/size]
Rounder records has, as in the past, engineered an excellent recording. I wish other artists would take note of the high quality of Paper Airplane and insist their labels did the same. 

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:
I went out to get my copy of Paper Airplane today and have listened to it a couple times already.

Somehow the word "amazing" doesn't seem appropriate, but the album is nonetheless amazing. It has the otherworldly time & place feel of Raising Sand with the slow pacing & intimacy of Forget About It to form something practically surreal. Not really any "fast" hoppy tracks (just a couple faster songs) but it doesn't need them. Listening to Alison sing is like being in a dream and this album really enhances a dream quality. 
smile.gif
Will definitely be spinning this CD a lot, I suspect.

FYI: they're performing on Letterman's show tomorrow night (4/13) and are on tour this year too. Complete tour info up over at alisonkrauss.com. Can't wait to see them live again later this year! (Saw them last year at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival.)

Asr, Thanks so much for the "heads up" on their Live on Letterman's show Wed. Got my DVR set already.. If anyone of you fans of this "Amazing Group" get to see them live .........DON'T MISS IT.......One of the best live acts I 've seen in years! What I appreciate also is that they release most titles on Vinyl.....My copy should be here tomorrow..... You know guys, this is the real reason I've become addicted to this web site...It's when "We REAL" music lovers (no matter what equipment we use or how we, like or dislike someone Else's choices in audio gear) It goes back to what they say, Some or many of us LOVE the Music 1st.. It makes me smile with joy when we talk of our love for a group like Alison Krauss and share our thoughts and share the Heads- up Info on the groups............Kinda' makes all the griping or reading my cans are better then yours worth while when we share the MUSIC.... as far as finding other groups in the same field (that's not going to happen) but some above, talked about Cowboy Junkies, well add "Over the Rhine" their new release---"The Long Surrender"is good (they take a few listens to really appreciate their sound and song writing)  Now it's not Blue grass, but still a great group with a silky voiced Female singer.. 1 more I ordered Emmylou Harris--"Hard Bargain"...........Let's keep the sharing our great musical finds.......
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 52
Steve, did you get the "deluxe" edition from Target with the extra songs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back