Aliexpress Cables
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #181 of 4,339
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #182 of 4,339
Unfortunately, I don't have anything available right now to test on it.

Once I get that gryphon knockoff power cable, I'll have some freedom to power cable roll. I'll be honest I dont like doing this with the power cables because they're big and heavy and every cable has a wood block under it to support the weight so that it doesn't put stress on the socket.

Its hard to tell with the burn in, there probably is but I have the audio-gd DI20HE and new audioquest carbon coax cable burning in right now and since its going through some wild swings its impossible to tell. Good news is only another 950 hours left recommended to go before its all settled in.
LOL burn-in is pain and real. I learned to just be patient.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #183 of 4,339
I think I mentioned that I bought this cable to try:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802712395331.html

Made by Audiocrast, one of the companies that makes the Odin 2 cable.

I wanted to see what the build quality was like and if there might be an audible difference over my current Pangea cables (which are well made for their price). And yes, there is a difference, but it's not to my taste. On the Pontus, this cable has an edge to it that makes for a less relaxed and more analytical presentation. The leading edge of everything just seemed harsher, even on the Pontus. Build quality is excellent though, especially for its price.
Has that cable been burned-in? Meaning has that cable seen at least 300 hours through it? The reason I ask this is if the cable has not seen at least 300+ hours of current through the cable, the PTFE dielectric will have the effect sonically you are describing.

From my experience building and prototyping audiophile power cables, what you describe based on the materials (assuming the info is correct) is exactly what I would expect. You may want to allow the cable to settle in or hook it up to a PC or small or large fridge and give it 300 - 500 hours and then try it again. I am fairly sure the results will be different. The issue with the design of the cable you reference is the amount of dielectric. If you do what I am suggesting and let the cable burn-in on a different device then re-install to your DAC or component, do not judge until the cable has been in place for a few days.

To many the above sounds ridiculous, my experience tells me this is what happens. For fun try it, you have nothing to lose.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #184 of 4,339
Has that cable been burned-in? Meaning has that cable seen at least 300 hours through it? The reason I ask this is if the cable has not seen at least 300+ hours of current through the cable, the PTFE dielectric will have the effect sonically you are describing.

From my experience building and prototyping audiophile power cables, what you describe based on the materials (assuming the info is correct) is exactly what I would expect. You may want to allow the cable to settle in or hook it up to a PC or small or large fridge and give it 300 - 500 hours and then try it again. I am fairly sure the results will be different. The issue with the design of the cable you reference is the amount of dielectric. If you do what I am suggesting and let the cable burn-in on a different device then re-install to your DAC or component, do not judge until the cable has been in place for a few days.

To many the above sounds ridiculous, my experience tells me this is what happens. For fun try it, you have nothing to lose.
It has not been burned it but I'll give it a try--will report back in... weeks lol.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #185 of 4,339
@dougms3 I'm so glad you referred me to this thread! Discovering things I didn't even know about and I'm all about those little audio hacks or tricks. Looking into the Odin 2 and Odin gold AC cables. So far, my take is they're both outstanding and the Gold is somewhat warmer with the other being faster / more detailed?

I'm also looking into the metal tape and liquid paste hack and now this has really caught my attention:
This

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003583405036.html

Same function as a grounding box, i.e. clean-up ground.
Have you or anyone here tried it? I think this may be the new link.
I'm interested to see how it may affect the sound on my tube amp, and see if it may reduce hum / buzz - would that be something it can do also? I was considering an Akiko Audio RCA tuning stick, though I'm not sure if the effect is similar(?). And these are a lot cheaper!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #186 of 4,339
@dougms3 I'm so glad you referred me to this thread! Discovering things I didn't even know about and I'm all about those little audio hacks or tricks. Looking into the Odin 2 and Odin gold AC cables. So far, my take is they're both outstanding and the Gold is somewhat warmer with the other being faster / more detailed?

I'm also looking into the metal tape and liquid paste hack and now this has really caught my attention:

I'm interested to see how it may affect the sound on my tube amp, and see if it may reduce hum / buzz - would that be something it can do also? I was considering an Akiko Audio RCA tuning stick, though I'm not sure if the effect is similar(?). And these are a lot cheaper!
I have done a/b (with/without) with a friend. On his power distributor. I doubt it will remove any tube hum. It has a more subtle effect than that.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #187 of 4,339
There are several types with different wire thicknesses and both paper and redwood ground loop noise isolators, do you have a type to recommend?

I'm actually looking for something to reduce hum that is in fact generated from within my tube amp itself (transformer or other components), and curious if it can improve the sound in other ways too.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #189 of 4,339
There are several types with different wire thicknesses and both paper and redwood ground loop noise isolators, do you have a type to recommend?

I'm actually looking for something to reduce hum that is in fact generated from within my tube amp itself (transformer or other components), and curious if it can improve the sound in other ways too.
The best is the one with 18awg silver wire. The wooden version is only a little more expensive, it is beautifully finished, worth the price difference.

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #190 of 4,339

I don't have the odin 2 power cable only the gold, cdacosta has both.

I found it to be a neutral cable with some accentuation at the top end, I found it added alot of space and depth to my system. Its a real bargain at the price its available at now.

The furutech nano liquid is very worthwhile investment. Its hard to explain but once you apply it one thing you will see the difference it makes and you'll coat every single connection in your system with it.

Jul 25, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #191 of 4,339
It has not been burned it but I'll give it a try--will report back in... weeks lol.
LOL yes, it will be weeks. You may like the cable somewhere else in your system once it is burned in. Never know until you try it.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #192 of 4,339
Couldn't resist the temptation. Ordered one odin gold powercord and one xlr interconnect to try
Did you order the Odin Gold XLR interconnects or Odin 2?

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #193 of 4,339
The mids on the Odin2 have gotten a lot better, much more clear now... I have 200+ hours on it now...the bass is insane...

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #195 of 4,339
Odin Gold. Wanted something musical.. hope it will be good.
I ordered the gold xlr too, also an Odin 2 USB cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back