Aliexpress Cables
Jul 24, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #166 of 4,364
@Gazza

Any update on your order of the gold odin power cables?

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #167 of 4,364
@Gazza

Any update on your order of the gold odin power cables?

Still waiting for them to arrive. Hopefully in the next few days.

On a different note, my audiophile ethernet switch has started to run in and I have noticed a change in the sound, most notably a relaxing of the overall presentation. Removed quite a bit of glassy harshness that would creep in on some compressed recordings, something I ascribed to what I thought were my ancient valves being one-foot in the grave. Guess not! A really listenable sound overall, which makes me appreciate my new DAC all the more. It still is ruthless in telling me if a recording isn't up to snuff but without making it an unpleasant. It has also made Tidal streams sound quite a bit more musical and enjoyable. Still behind my CD rips but not an artificial facsimile as they were prior.

Very curious how the power cords will improve things.

I'm also (satan help me) thinking of saving for the Aqua LinQ streamer to replace my Naim NDX. It's an eye-watering cost but seeing how my valves seem to still be holding up I can put off that upgrade and save for the LinQ. I wish a pure streamer made no difference to the sound but sadly I have found that is really not the case.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #168 of 4,364
You could try one of the knockoff cables.

They are pretty cheap and work well.

A couple of us have the gold odin cable. There are many sellers with the same product so you may want to shop around.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804113993563.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.630d38dahriWV8&mp=1
Thanks. So is any seller with a gold Odin cable legit, or are certain sellers more likely to have the authentic version?

And is there any opinion on the sound? Hopefully it is neutral and not colored too much

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #169 of 4,364
Still waiting for them to arrive. Hopefully in the next few days.

On a different note, my audiophile ethernet switch has started to run in and I have noticed a change in the sound, most notably a relaxing of the overall presentation. Removed quite a bit of glassy harshness that would creep in on some compressed recordings, something I ascribed to what I thought were my ancient valves being one-foot in the grave. Guess not! A really listenable sound overall, which makes me appreciate my new DAC all the more. It still is ruthless in telling me if a recording isn't up to snuff but without making it an unpleasant. It has also made Tidal streams sound quite a bit more musical and enjoyable. Still behind my CD rips but not an artificial facsimile as they were prior.

Very curious how the power cords will improve things.

I'm also (satan help me) thinking of saving for the Aqua LinQ streamer to replace my Naim NDX. It's an eye-watering cost but seeing how my valves seem to still be holding up I can put off that upgrade and save for the LinQ. I wish a pure streamer made no difference to the sound but sadly I have found that is really not the case.
Very interested to hear your comparison vs the cables you have.

I've come to realize how a streamer / music server can be highly beneficial in terms of sound quality improvement. The PC adds so much noise into an audio signal its ridiculous.

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #170 of 4,364
Thanks. So is any seller with a gold Odin cable legit, or are certain sellers more likely to have the authentic version?

And is there any opinion on the sound? Hopefully it is neutral and not colored too much
It seems to me they're all the same because almost all are using a stock image. Seems like they're ordering it from the manufacturer when you place the order.

I wouldn't know how it sounds compared to the original but I'm sure the original is better. It also costs as much as a car so probably gonna assume the original is alot better.

I can only directly compare it to the cable I replaced it with, it sounds alot better than the Furutech 314ag power cable. More resolving, alot more stage and depth, better imaging, better articulation in the treble and less warm than the 314ag.

cdacosta did a very thorough review earlier in the thread.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #171 of 4,364

I have both the Odin 2 and Odin Gold power cable. Still burning in the Odin Gold. Excellent performing power cables. Would recommend to anyone. The two cables do sound different. Look through this thread for my thoughts, experiences and burn-in comments for these two cables.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #172 of 4,364
I forgot to mention I bought this linear power supply from aliexpress.

It replaced an ifi ipower x. Swapped back and forth 4 times to know for sure, its not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. Its funny how these things relate to audio impact. The effect is a more 3D sound, more space all around, microdetails are more audible, clearer imaging and positioning of sounds, slower decay especially with reverb, echoing seems to linger a bit longer.
IMG_20220724_114425.jpg

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #173 of 4,364
I forgot to mention I bought this linear power supply from aliexpress.

It replaced an ifi ipower x. Swapped back and forth 4 times to know for sure, its not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. Its funny how these things relate to audio impact. The effect is a more 3D sound, more space all around, microdetails are more audible, clearer imaging and positioning of sounds, slower decay especially with reverb, echoing seems to linger a bit longer.
IMG_20220724_114425.jpg
I am going to verify power input plug size and voltage and will order one to try on the modem/router. Have you tried different power cords on that Linear PS to see if it made any difference? I have 3 good power cords on hand to try on the unit. Did you notice a break-in period with the Linear PS?

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #174 of 4,364
I think I mentioned that I bought this cable to try:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802712395331.html

Made by Audiocrast, one of the companies that makes the Odin 2 cable.

I wanted to see what the build quality was like and if there might be an audible difference over my current Pangea cables (which are well made for their price). And yes, there is a difference, but it's not to my taste. On the Pontus, this cable has an edge to it that makes for a less relaxed and more analytical presentation. The leading edge of everything just seemed harsher, even on the Pontus. Build quality is excellent though, especially for its price.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #175 of 4,364
I am going to verify power input plug size and voltage and will order one to try on the modem/router. Have you tried different power cords on that Linear PS to see if it made any difference? I have 3 good power cords on hand to try on the unit. Did you notice a break-in period with the Linear PS?
Unfortunately, I don't have anything available right now to test on it.

Once I get that gryphon knockoff power cable, I'll have some freedom to power cable roll. I'll be honest I dont like doing this with the power cables because they're big and heavy and every cable has a wood block under it to support the weight so that it doesn't put stress on the socket.

Its hard to tell with the burn in, there probably is but I have the audio-gd DI20HE and new audioquest carbon coax cable burning in right now and since its going through some wild swings its impossible to tell. Good news is only another 950 hours left recommended to go before its all settled in.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #176 of 4,364
I think I mentioned that I bought this cable to try:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802712395331.html

Made by Audiocrast, one of the companies that makes the Odin 2 cable.

I wanted to see what the build quality was like and if there might be an audible difference over my current Pangea cables (which are well made for their price). And yes, there is a difference, but it's not to my taste. On the Pontus, this cable has an edge to it that makes for a less relaxed and more analytical presentation. The leading edge of everything just seemed harsher, even on the Pontus. Build quality is excellent though, especially for its price.
The cable looks nice and I'm sure its well made but my issue with it is that it lacks shielding and a more effective dielectric.

If you look at the conductors of the odin knockoff, it has aluminum or silver spiraled shielding that covers 99% of each conductor and it uses teflon or PET as a dielectric which is much more effective than PVC. I'm not 100% sure but I think it also has an air tube or something other dielectric going through the center of the cable, if its an air tube, air is one of the best dielectrics and would significantly enhance its capabilities.

It explains why that odin cable in particular is very good even with the aforementioned lower quality materials.

I would have recommended this earlier to you but you already purchased it and didn't want to be a negative Nancy.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #177 of 4,364
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #178 of 4,364
The cable looks nice and I'm sure its well made but my issue with it is that it lacks shielding and a more effective dielectric.

If you look at the conductors of the odin knockoff, it has aluminum or silver spiraled shielding that covers 99% of each conductor and it uses teflon or PET as a dielectric which is much more effective than PVC. I'm not 100% sure but I think it also has an air tube or something other dielectric going through the center of the cable, if its an air tube, air is one of the best dielectrics and would significantly enhance its capabilities.

It explains why that odin cable in particular is very good even with the aforementioned lower quality materials.

I would have recommended this earlier to you but you already purchased it and didn't want to be a negative Nancy.
I knew... couldn't help but try it for the price. Plus it's so pretty.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #179 of 4,364
I knew... couldn't help but try it for the price. Plus it's so pretty.
It does look nice, looks like a steroided version of those 16 core headphone cables

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #180 of 4,364
It does look nice, looks like a steroided version of those 16 core headphone cables
OK, offer accepted. I'll send it to you to adapt for my BLON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back