Aliexpress Cables
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #211 of 4,363
We were discussing break in characteristics of a Odin 2 power cable.
Incidentally, why wouldn't the mids improve with a proper USB cable? All frequencies would improve, no? :thinking:

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #212 of 4,363
Incidentally, why wouldn't the mids improve with a proper USB cable? All frequencies would improve, no? :thinking:
I think a common perception is that a USB cable either functions or it does not, as any error would be corrected. So a $5 generic cable if built to standards would function the same as a $500 cable made of 6N ofc... assuming it met the same standards.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #213 of 4,363
I think a common perception is that a USB cable either functions or it does not, as any error would be corrected. So a $5 generic cable if built to standards would function the same as a $500 cable made of 6N ofc... assuming it met the same standards.
Yeah, except they don't. lol.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #215 of 4,363
Incidentally, why wouldn't the mids improve with a proper USB cable?
From my humble experience, maybe or maybe not. Your question is not simple to answer, here is what I mean... I like fuller and fleshed vocals, you may not. Is it possibly you may try a $2500 Audioquest USB cable and it unbalances an area of your system and you do not like it? I have experienced this.

I have read and was told the Nordost Odin USB cable can compete with $500 USA sold USB cables. I do not have a use for USB, so I have not tried this cable yet.

All frequencies would improve, no? :thinking:
Again maybe, or maybe not. This is a very complicated topic. Every part of the cable makes a difference, including solder used or termination. This all effects the overall sonic ability and presentation of the system when the cable is installed. Any and all cables in a system will effect the overall performance of a system. So another factor is synergy with the rest of the gear and cabling.

Like if I have your system, knowing what I know and experienced with the Odin 2 and Odin Gold. I would install a Odin 2 PC at computer and Ares II, Odin Gold at Jot 2 and Odin Gold XLR interconnects. Understanding the system is near unlistenable until at least 400 hours of burn-in. After that it should sound amazing.

For a tad more tubey/analog feel I would even use a Odin Gold PC at the Ares II. Odin 2 will make the DAC more resolving and quicker, but a notch or two less analog.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #216 of 4,363
In the 25 years or so in this hobby I have learned that I cannot assume anything and conventional logic usually does not apply. LOL There are a lot of really good arguments by people in and out of this hobby that I found to be just not true. I wish some of these were true, I would have saved tens of thousands by now! And the arguments make sense, here are some off the top of my head regarding headphone rigs...

1) All digital cables sound the same. They all transfer 1s and 0s. It turns out the transference of the data is way more complicated than that.

2) You have hundreds of feet of cheap 14ga. Romex wire running through your walls and to the power provider. There is no way a 5' power cord from your component is going to change anything. Power cords can make a big difference, especially the more resolving your system.

3) Your headphone cable whether SE or XLR balanced makes no difference aside ergonomics and esthetics. Copper is copper. I watched a well regarded reviewer say this in a live stream. He said he has never been able to hear a difference. Hmmm to me the difference can be big and can be super obvious.

I will stop here, it just goes on and on.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #217 of 4,363
The difference it makes with a high quality solder like mundorf supreme is pretty wild.

It brought out the sparkle in my modded Sony z7m2 when I upgraded only the solder on only one end of the wire. Would have just replaced the wire but its designed in a way so that you can't access the other end without possibly destroying the headphones.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #219 of 4,363
Digital playback over usb isn't perfect--there's variation across cables and setups.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #221 of 4,363
So should be a defective cable?
What I'm saying is that two cables made to usb spec can still sound different. The data is digital, but it's still transmitted electrically. As such, it's influenced by inductance, capacitance, impedance, crosstalk. Many cables also carry power along with that signal, which can also cause issues with sound quality. There are also external factors, like emi, that can negatively impact sound depending on cable shielding, geometry, etc.

So not defective, there's just a difference in sound.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #222 of 4,363
What I'm saying is that two cables made to usb spec can still sound different. The data is digital, but it's still transmitted electrically. As such, it's influenced by inductance, capacitance, impedance, crosstalk. Many cables also carry power along with that signal, which can also cause issues with sound quality. There are also external factors, like emi, that can negatively impact sound depending on cable shielding, geometry, etc.

So not defective, there's just a difference in sound.
Still I don't understand how an usb cable could improve low, mids or highs, anyway I think I'm venturing into a swamp

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #223 of 4,363
It's just a cable bringing data, i don't understand how it's possible to hear such changes, unless it's something you want to hear
In theory, yes you are correct but in practice, it makes a difference. A usb signal is an electrical signal that needs to cross a medium to send data back and forth to a destination. Wouldn't it make sense that a higher quality conductor with shielding would be better than an unshielded, cheap copper conductor?

We can all theorize with conjecture whether or not it does or doesn't but those of us who have more than one can A/B compare to make sure. I have 4 usb cables, they all sound different on my system.

I can guess as to the reasons why but while I have some theories, in all honesty, I'm not 100% sure. I just know they sound different. That is 100%, no doubt about that part.

Some people will try to argue that it doesn't make it a difference while refusing to even test a higher end usb cable, like a child refusing to try broccoli and state they know for a fact that it doesn't make a difference with their pseudoscience.

And to be clear, depending on the system, it may not make much, if any difference. Its not like we all have the components and environmental factors (ie type of pc, apt vs house, power, wifi, radio, bluetooth signals). If you account for how many possible variables there are that can affect the audio system, its ridiculous to say for sure that something doesn't make a difference when you can't even account for possible variables that influence the audio system.

The easiest and most definitive way is to check and test it on your system.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #224 of 4,363
Still I don't understand how an usb cable could improve low, mids or highs, anyway I think I'm venturing into a swamp
The knock-off usb cable we're talking about in this thread is $25 USD for 0.5m, so not a deep swamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back