Alessandro MS Pro vs. Grado RS-1
Dec 5, 2007 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
asking those who have experienced both - which do you prefer/genres? I've heard the MS Pro's are only a tad better than RS-2 - would that be correct? Has anyone spotted a F.R. graph for the Alessandro Pro's?

Finally - which version of the RS-1 is noticably the best - IOW, are the vintage pairs REALLY superior to current or recent production - or is it simply a matter of aging/use of the drivers?

edit: oops - I've read a couple of comments where peeps remarked that MS Pro's are Grado's with the fun sucked out of them - did that seem true to you (I'm thinking primarily toe-tappin' intrumental jazz)?

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 41
I would say GS1000, but if between you have mentioned, RS1.

RS1 is just more fun listen to it, but not only that. I do believe that JAZZ would be much better with RS1. I just had RS1 in my possession again and they have left very good impressions after all, however I do prefer GS1000 above.

And forget the vintage RS1, cos they go like USD 1200+ and I don't believe they are worth that money. Well, they do if you really like RS1 ONLY and not other line, like GS1000 or HP1000 ( never heard of them yet )

MS PRO are really nice phones, but that's how far I can go to describe them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
asking those who have experienced both - which do you prefer/genres? I've heard the MS Pro's are only a tad better than RS-2 - would that be correct? Has anyone spotted a F.R. graph for the Alessandro Pro's?

Finally - which version of the RS-1 is noticably the best - IOW, are the vintage pairs REALLY superior to current or recent production - or is it simply a matter of aging/use of the drivers?

edit: oops - I've read a couple of comments where peeps remarked that MS Pro's are Grado's with the fun sucked out of them - did that seem true to you (I'm thinking primarily toe-tappin' intrumental jazz)?

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 41
I have both MS-Pro and RS1 at home and I personally prefer the MS Pro over the RS1 for their more neutral sound and great extension, at least for the moment. They surely are less funny than the RS1, but enough for me
smily_headphones1.gif
I only have the RS1 since last week end so I'll have to spend more time listening to them before making a real statement...

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 41
I've owned both the RS-1 and MS-Pro at the same time and wrote up this comparative review after several weeks of back and forth listening...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rs-...review-153453/

The crazy thing is, I briefly re-compared my MS-Pro with someone else's RS-1 at a subsequent meet and thought that the differences between the two were extremely subtle (if any). Another guy thought the same also. As with the original review, I did the comparison out of my own amp/source and listening to the same song, something I bet alot of people who compare different headphones at meets don't do. It could be the crushed bowls on the MS-Pro or that I've gotten use to the MS-Pro sound or the typical "less than ideal for critical listening" meet conditions for the diminished perceived differences.

Nonetheless, I still have the MS-Pro for over two years now and couldn't be happier with them. IMO, jazz music excels out of the MS-Pro/RS-1, assuming it is well recorded to begin with. For example, Diana Krall's S' Wonderful sounds almost holographic. Wide and deep soundstage, precise imaging, great decay of notes, deep articulate bass, airy treble, textured vocals, etc. The only fault I hear out of them is a slight woody coloration in the vocals, but this is dependent on the recording. On most songs, I don't hear it.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say GS1000, but if between you have mentioned, RS1.

RS1 is just more fun listen to it, but not only that. I do believe that JAZZ would be much better with RS1. I just had RS1 in my possession again and they have left very good impressions after all, however I do prefer GS1000 above.

And forget the vintage RS1, cos they go like USD 1200+ and I don't believe they are worth that money. Well, they do if you really like RS1 ONLY and not other line, like GS1000 or HP1000 ( never heard of them yet )

MS PRO are really nice phones, but that's how far I can go to describe them.

One pair sold at that price doesn't mean this is the market price.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 41
I have both pairs and it's suprising to me that the differences were subtle to me as well. But I did notice that the RS1 has more treble and this "in your face" characteristic than the mspro but other than that, they pretty much sound the same to me.

note: The differences are so minor that I shouldn't be keeping both pairs at the same time at all :S.

Dec 7, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 41
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to participate in this thread. While there was quite a diversity of personal opinions, they DID prove helpful in focusing in what I want to do.
Factor 1 for me was having had RS-2 (sold) and deciding that while they were pretty good in some areas (eg. a bit more fun and foreward than my usual) - I knew it would be worth it to me to move up......and the question really asked was ...where?
If I didn't already have my Beyer buddies (2x Darths, dt880/600, and dt990/600 [my k340 don't count in this analysis]) the GS1000 could be a good addition. Ultimately, I don't intend to sell any of those Beyers.........so GS1000 would be covering pretty much the same territory.
Then, there is MS Pro.........it would seem the toe tapping or fun quality admired with the RS-2 gave me might even be diminished by the MS Pro.
I should have known - that leaves me looking for a good pair of RS-1 to buy. It's easy when you have a staff of battle-hardened veteran Head-Fiers doing your thinking for you
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd read some recent (other) posters who stated complaints about the mids/treble peaks inherent in the Grado design, but thru the owning of that pair of RS-2 I'd had - I already know to amp my to-be-purchased RS-1 with a tube amp (an OTL design) to do double duty with those dt880.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 41
What you need are GS1000 or PS1, thats it. RS1 will be just a little step further, from RS2 level I mean.
Right now I am listen to Diana Krall through my MP3, GoVibe6 and PS1 with GS1000 pads and I think I listen to the GS1000
confused.gif

Damn this forum, damn this hobby, damn my wallet.... I just dont know anymore, sorry guys
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to participate in this thread. While there was quite a diversity of personal opinions, they DID prove helpful in focusing in what I want to do.
Factor 1 for me was having had RS-2 (sold) and deciding that while they were pretty good in some areas (eg. a bit more fun and foreward than my usual) - I knew it would be worth it to me to move up......and the question really asked was ...where?
If I didn't already have my Beyer buddies (2x Darths, dt880/600, and dt990/600 [my k340 don't count in this analysis]) the GS1000 could be a good addition. Ultimately, I don't intend to sell any of those Beyers.........so GS1000 would be covering pretty much the same territory.
Then, there is MS Pro.........it would seem the toe tapping or fun quality admired with the RS-2 gave me might even be diminished by the MS Pro.
I should have known - that leaves me looking for a good pair of RS-1 to buy. It's easy when you have a staff of battle-hardened veteran Head-Fiers doing your thinking for you
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd read some recent (other) posters who stated complaints about the mids/treble peaks inherent in the Grado design, but thru the owning of that pair of RS-2 I'd had - I already know to amp my to-be-purchased RS-1 with a tube amp (an OTL design) to do double duty with those dt880.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 41
I wouldn't put the GS1000 on the same level as a PS1 or HP1000. To each his own I guess. I find the MS-Pro to be very close to the RS-1, and would likely buy an MS-Pro just because they are so much cheaper than the RS-1 here in Canada.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 41
Not having heard of HP1000 I just can not say anything about that, but I do like GS1000 more than PS1, which still very difficult to admit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't put the GS1000 on the same level as a PS1 or HP1000. To each his own I guess. I find the MS-Pro to be very close to the RS-1, and would likely buy an MS-Pro just because they are so much cheaper than the RS-1 here in Canada.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 41
Bob, i think you and i may have been down this path before but let me briefly share some of my impressions. having owned two vintage rs-1s, two vintage rs-2s (simultaneously), and having vintage ms-pros through all of the above, my take is that the ms-pro is the most neutral of the bunch and that the rs-2 sounds more akin to the ms-pro than the rs-1. if you can't find or afford the fabulous and very neutral hp1000 then go for the ms-pro. if you're looking for a 'fun' phone some of the audio technicas qualify there, but i'm pretty jazzed over my recently acquired jvc dx-1000s. at the ny meet last month i had the opportunity to compare them against hp2s, ed9s, and l3ks and i preferred them to the latter two phones (caveats - unfamiliar system and limited music selection). while i wouldn't call that a definitive take i think they are definately worth looking into. and they're super comfy too.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not having heard of HP1000 I just can not say anything about that, but I do like GS1000 more than PS1, which still very difficult to admit.

It is just a matter of preference at this level anyways. You've never heard the HP1000 series?

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 41
Yes, of course and no I have never heard one
frown.gif

Can you arange one for auditioning
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is just a matter of preference at this level anyways. You've never heard the HP1000 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back