Alessandro MS-2 or Grado SR325is for extended listening?
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

deniall83

100+ Head-Fier
Trying to decide between these two headphones and struggling to come to a decision. Where I live the MS-2's are significantly cheaper so i'm leaning towards them but I decided to ask on here first.

I'm quite sensitive to treble and I find that harsh treble fatigues me really quickly. I know Grado has a reputation for being quite bright and aggressive with their highs but I have also read that the MS-2's are really bright. Keeping this in mind, which headphone would you go for? Unfortunately i'm unable to try these headphones before I buy them due to there not being an Alessandro stockist that I know of in London.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 18
I used to have the MS1's and they were painfully bright. Not sure if that carried over to the MS2...I have never listened to them.

Some people say the 325's are also very bright. I own a pair and personally do not find this to be true at all, at least with my setup. I feel the mids and highs are simply delightful.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 18
If you're sensitive to treble, go for the MS-2.

While some may classify both as being bright, the MS-2 is likely much less so than the 325, being designed to be a more neutral set.

My MS-2's seem dull in comparison to my Ultrasones, but I do enjoy treble, and the MS-2 is still very enjoyable to listen to.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
If you're sensitive to treble, go for the MS-2.

+1.  I have the MS2i's and I had the SR325is's, and I really didn't like how much brighter the 325's were vs the MS2's. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
I used to have the MS1's and they were painfully bright. Not sure if that carried over to the MS2...I have never listened to them.

Some people say the 325's are also very bright. I own a pair and personally do not find this to be true at all, at least with my setup. I feel the mids and highs are simply delightful.

That's interesting because I have the MS-1s and I don't find them overly bright at all.
In fact I based my choice of them on the what I thought was the consensus on this forum that they were relatively neutral compared to Grados, with the Grados being the brighter choice.
The fact that you recommend the 325s is even more interesting because I'm sure I've read that these are some of the brightest Grados of all.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 18
I had the MS2 and am familiar with the SR325, both are awfully agressive (the Grado is a bit worse though). Longtime listening sessions (especially when doing something else besides) are an absolute no-go IMO. On the other hand, concentrated listening with closed eyes can be a very rewarding experience.

Nevertheless, longtime users of both are rather seldom, they tend to get sold or collecting dust after the 1st brand new toy syndrome has cooled down.

I rather recommend the MS2 too, but the most reasonable thing would be quitting that step and go towards MS Pro or RS1/2 directly. The price/performance ratio is even worse with these, but...

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 18
But?

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Trying to decide between these two headphones and struggling to come to a decision. Where I live the MS-2's are significantly cheaper so i'm leaning towards them but I decided to ask on here first.

I'm quite sensitive to treble and I find that harsh treble fatigues me really quickly. I know Grado has a reputation for being quite bright and aggressive with their highs but I have also read that the MS-2's are really bright. Keeping this in mind, which headphone would you go for? Unfortunately i'm unable to try these headphones before I buy them due to there not being an Alessandro stockist that I know of in London.

I've got to know - why are you looking at the Alessandros and the Grados instead of something that isn't so treble heavy, since you're so sensitive to it?

Wouldn't a Sennheiser HD 600 (or something similar sounding) be a lot more appropriate?  A couple of weekends ago I know it was only 220 EUR from Amazon.de, but they're priced higher now (a different seller, I think).

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
MS1i it's definitely smoother and less bright compare to MS2i. So I'm sure that 325is is just simply brighter than MS1i.

I'd definitely recommend the MS-1 for extended listening. Whenever I take mine off I get separation anxiety. 
o2smile.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
@Bblitz 
but they're worth it. :)

@ArmAndHammer 
MS1i it's definitely smoother and less bright compare to MS2i. So I'm sure that 325is is just simply brighter than MS1i.

No...the 325 is not brighter than the MS1...not to my ears. I can not stand the MS1's on my ears for even a couple minutes but I can listen to the 325's for hours. I own the Grados and I did own the MS1's for a very short time but hated them. Same setup...nothing different.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
No...the 325 is not brighter than the MS1...not to my ears. I can not stand the MS1's on my ears for even a couple minutes but I can listen to the 325's for hours. I own the Grados and I did own the MS1's for a very short time but hated them. Same setup...nothing different.

Treble in headphones can be weird.  Different people can hear it differently.  Especially peaks in the treble.  One person may find a certain treble peak to be enhancing and enjoyable, while another person could find that same treble peak to be annoying and uncomfortable.

It could be that your MS1 had a treble peak right were it annoys you.  And your 325i could happen to not have a peak right at that frequency.  So the 325i would sound better to you even though it has more treble overall both in quantity and character.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Quote:
@Bblitz 
but they're worth it. :)

@ArmAndHammer 

No...the 325 is not brighter than the MS1...not to my ears. I can not stand the MS1's on my ears for even a couple minutes but I can listen to the 325's for hours.

You make me speechless. But yeah, I know, in audio world we have to agree to disagree.

May I know what songs usually you hear?

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #14 of 18
I listen to a lot of rock, classic rock, acoustic rock, electronica, alternative. Examples....Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, ect...

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 18
That's quite possible. 

Quote:

Quote:

Treble in headphones can be weird.  Different people can hear it differently.  Especially peaks in the treble.  One person may find a certain treble peak to be enhancing and enjoyable, while another person could find that same treble peak to be annoying and uncomfortable.

It could be that your MS1 had a treble peak right were it annoys you.  And your 325i could happen to not have a peak right at that frequency.  So the 325i would sound better to you even though it has more treble overall both in quantity and character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back