Alessandro MS-1 Pads
Feb 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

XTTX

Head-Fier
So I'm looking for alternative pads for my MS-1. Right now I just have the Grado comfies, but the comfies cause discomfort after prolonged use (~30-45min) due to them pushing on my glasses. So I'm looking at switching over to either Grado bowls or the HD414 pads. Are there any other alternatives. If not, what are your opinions on these two "mods".

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 14
move your glasses up man, that's what I do. Bowls are way more uncomfortable so I don't know where you heard elsewise.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 14
I have had great success with both the "comfie's and 414 pads.
Perhaps the clamping force is to great.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 14
May as well bend the headband a little to soften the clamp. Trying to change from comfies to any other Grado pad for comfort sounds like.... backwards.

Jumbos I heard are comfy but they don't particularly match well with the MS1, FWIR.

Glasses aside, are the comfies comfortable enough? I want a pair of MS1i for work (I need super open), but I'm still hesitating...

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Comfies are fine once you adjust the clamp. Discomfort after an hour or two shouldn't be anything to whinge about. These are on ear headphones afterall. Just give your ears a rest for a few minutes. It'll be good for your hearing as well.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Has to be a lot better in comfort than the torture device known as the ES7...even post metal bending mod. <_<

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 14
 Bend the headband to loosen them.  I've worn Grados with comfies with glasses now for 3-4 hrs every day at work for the last 2 years or so.  Comfort is not a problem. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 14
how think are your glasses? I don't see how placing it just above the headphone pad wouldn't fix this problem.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 14
 I myself don't wear Grados any differently than if I didn't have glasses.  And I have pretty thick frames.  Plastic, not the metal kind.  1/8" thick at the ear.  Bend the headband. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Well the frames to my glasses are pretty thick - around 1/4". So I can move them up, but it causes my eyes to become tired much more easily due to minor distortion in viewing. The reason why I thought of bowls is because I find other circumaural designs extremely comfortable. I haven't tried the Grado bowls in particular (and I have heard that they're inferior in comfort), but I think it might be worth experimenting with.

Edit: By the way, with the jumbo bowls, do those fit without other modification? I recall looking at the MS1000 thread, and seeing the housing changed completely.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 14
jumbo(G-cushion) most comfortable for me with specs follow by 414, comfies(S-cushion) then bowls(L-cushion).
But jumbo sound differently.

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/Reviewss/GradoHeadphones2009.html

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 14
Bowls are actually the most comfortable of all the pads (except jumbos I haven't tried them) for me. I was surprised when I got them as I had delayed getting them after reading all the negative comments about their comfort but after the reverse quarter modded HD414 pads I had before the comfort improved 200%. Comfies just got itchy and annoying for me.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 14
Guys, how do the comfies compare to the KSC75 foam pads? Because I love those things.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 14
If you bend the headband a little bit it may relieve the pressure, though I still found the comfies to be uncomfy. I've never tried the HD414 pads, but I hear some people prefer them to the stock comfies.

I would suggest 1000'ing them. Though it may cost a bit for both the G cush pads and the distancers, they are much more comfortable than they were stock, and the soundstage and mids are very much improved. The G cushes are good for me along with loosening the band. They feel very light on my head and I don't get that sort of folded ear feeling after wearing them for extended periods of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back