Alessandro MS-1 ($99) or Grado SR60 ($55)
May 27, 2005 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Moody

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a nice compact headphone to used with my Zen Micro and laptop. I'm not planning to buy an amp.

On Ebay they sell the Grado SR60 for an amazing $55. The MS-1 costs $99 at www.alessandro-products.com

I've searched the forum and read lots of topics about these headphones, but I've got some questions.....

1. Does anybody know a better price than $99 for the MS-1's?

2. What do you recommend? Buy the 'somewhat better' MS-1 for about twice the price of the SR60 or just go with the 'good enough' SR60?

Thanks a lot!

May 27, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 23
having never heard the MS1 or SR60, I'd recommend looking out on the for sale forum for a good quality pair. that'd reduce the gap and it'd certainly be worth it i'm sure

May 27, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 23
Alessandro MS-1

May 27, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
having never heard the MS1 or SR60, I'd recommend looking out on the for sale forum for a good quality pair. that'd reduce the gap and it'd certainly be worth it i'm sure

Strange. I thought there were the best headhones < $100

May 27, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 23
they are, but the SR60 is the best under 50 bucks
evil_smiley.gif

you can get the MS-1 used here for around $85 if you are patient. But bah just get a new pair for $99!

May 27, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moody
Strange. I thought there were the best headhones < $100

they are, but for some people 100 is a lot to spend on a pair of headphones, especially if you can get another great value for money can, the sr60.

one thing to remember though, is that i beleive the ms-1 are $99 SHIPPED. the sr60s on ebay may require an extra $10 or something postage

May 27, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 23
Either.
They are both incredible and well-worth the price.

The only factor I would consider is your impulse to upgrade in the future. If you only have a few pairs of cans, you won't need both the 60's and the 1's. If you think you may be tempted, save yourself the extra time and money and get the MS-1's.

May 27, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 23
Q: Where will you be using this? At home in a quite environment, while commuting, outside in the park or at starbucks, etc. Do you need isolation, both from letting noise in and your music out? I'm a fan of grados, but not using them in certain areas. I have ksc's or (used to) canalphones for that.

Also, I didn't really like the ms1 with the stock comfy pads, I bought a pair (two actually) of the senn HD414 yellow pads and modded one. Sound better IMO. They're like $4 a pair excl. shipping.

May 27, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 23
Yes, you should really be comparing it as SR-60 ($65 shipped) vs. MS-1 ($99 shipped). I bought a pair from that seller before and he has a flat shipping rate of $10. He also has an auction for the SR-80 for $85 shipped if you're interested. There are only 2 left as of this posting. Good luck.

May 28, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Q: Where will you be using this? At home in a quite environment, while commuting, outside in the park or at starbucks, etc. Do you need isolation, both from letting noise in and your music out? I'm a fan of grados, but not using them in certain areas. I have ksc's or (used to) canalphones for that.

I'm going to use them @home and @work, for outside activities i'm using my Shure E3's
Quote:

Also, I didn't really like the ms1 with the stock comfy pads, I bought a pair (two actually) of the senn HD414 yellow pads and modded one. Sound better IMO. They're like $4 a pair excl. shipping.

The SR60 pads are more comfy than the ones on the MS-1?

May 28, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Yes, you should really be comparing it as SR-60 ($65 shipped) vs. MS-1 ($99 shipped). I bought a pair from that seller before and he has a flat shipping rate of $10. He also has an auction for the SR-80 for $85 shipped if you're interested. There are only 2 left as of this posting. Good luck.

Yes, I was considering those too. Are they worth the price difference when knowing that the MS-1's are just $15 more???
And how do they compare to the SR-60?

May 28, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 23
No, get the MS-1's. These cans pack a serious punch. For 100 shipped, I think it might just be the best value can around. Granted, I havent heard the SR60 or the SR80, so maybe I should shut the ##%% up. But, in comparing SR325 to MS-1, I thought the MS-1 came out on top in everything except detail and imaging...mostly due to its more neutral stance, IMHO
wink.gif

and the MS-1 can come with mini jack, which saves you a 15 dollar adaptor

May 28, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
No, get the MS-1's. These cans pack a serious punch. For 100 shipped, I think it might just be the best value can around. Granted, I havent heard the SR60 or the SR80, so maybe I should shut the ##%% up. But, in comparing SR325 to MS-1, I thought the MS-1 came out on top in everything except detail and imaging...mostly due to its more neutral stance, IMHO
wink.gif

and the MS-1 can come with mini jack, which saves you a 15 dollar adaptor

Ok, I'm 99% convinced
wink.gif

I hope alessandro-products.com will ship to Holland with no extra charge too....

Last Q: Which flat comfy pads do you recommend and where can I buy those? (I read that flat pads will improve sound quality)

May 28, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moody
Ok, I'm 99% convinced
wink.gif

I hope alessandro-products.com will ship to Holland with no extra charge too....

Last Q: Which flat comfy pads do you recommend and where can I buy those? (I read that flat pads will improve sound quality)

Original Flat pads - www.toddthevinyljunkie.com

Sennheiser 414 pads - www.sennheiserUSA.com products, 414, pads

the 414's you'll have to mod by cutting a hole, or try to find them used precut

414's are more comfortable, seem a bit brighter, less bass than todd flats, but both are warmer and fuller than bowls...IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back