Alert to fellow Head-Fiers!
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been browsing Youtube looking at reviews and the like and I came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta9W5-kGkZI&feature=pyv&ad=5700145905&kw=headphones

This absolute effing moron says that all headphones are (along with their prices) is marketing. This made me laugh, but the more I watched the more infuriated I got. 
This pissed me off so much that I thought: "Hey let me see what audiophiles think about this". So watch this video. And show your rage towards him in this thread. 

Thank you have a nice day!

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 23
Never let an ignorant moron's opinion spoil your day.  The dude is ignorant/naive at various levels, not just in regards to his opinion that all buds are constructed the same, but even in regards to where the retail dollar goes.  His claim that Best Buy (the retailer) is ripping people off based on the price of Monster branded buds confirms that he doesn't have a clue, just an opinion.  Now if Monster braned buds were selling for $20 somewhere else his claim would have some credibility, however as that is the recommended retail price based on wholesale distribution, then the rip off would be with the manufacturer or the distributer or elsewhere (if it were a rip off).  The retailer is simply applying its usual markup based on covering costs and turning a profit.

Now as to his obviously outstanding knowledge of earbud construction, how is a tripple driver bud/IEM constructed the same as  a $1 plastic bud?  Worth the money, now that is subjective.  Constructed the same, that is a factual error.  Sound the same, no one would argue that if they heard $1 buds?

There, now I hope you feel better.  My advice is not to post links to moronic statements, it gives them viral exposure that they don't deserve.  Back to your normal viewing everyone.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 23
I'm not particularly upset by this. It's his opinion (obviously not an audiophile) and I do agree with some of his points but I do think he lacks some understanding in this area (namely earbud construction). I doubt he's a lot of time researching or listening to better products than can be had at a local retailer (ie bose, monster, skullcandy, etc). As he said sound quality is subjective and it's up to the listener and it's simply not worth it to him.  To me however, my CK10s (well constructed I might add) sound sweet! I also like how he said to go to forums and get informed about different products before you buy.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 23
Yeah. But calling it "marketing greed". Just pisses me off. There are quality products out there!
Best Buy is terrible by the way. Great model to rip off ignorant/idiotic consumers though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
Yeah. But calling it "marketing greed". Just pisses me off. There are quality products out there!
Best Buy is terrible by the way. Great model to rip off ignorant/idiotic consumers though.

There definitely are great IEMs out there but not many at the local retail level so his exposure to quality products is limited. He's simply making his opinion based on what he knows (which I feel doesn't apply in this case). Is he wrong about quality earbuds that are actually constructed well and sound great, in my opinion, very much so but again it's just his opinion. I do think he's pretty much right about average consumer goods so I'm not offended by that. I probably would've said something similar a year ago when the "best" I knew of was Bose and Monster. Luckily (..or unluckily) I found this place.
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 23
I hate consumerism. That is why I like niche things like this (the website and all). I am also into computer building. And try to educate myself upon technological goods. But it doesn't matter. That guy is ignorant.
I think it is definitely unlucky to find this place. I find myself wanting something new everyday. 
basshead.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 23
I had no issues at all with the corporate greed bit, however I was perplexed as to why he was making statements based off his 'experience' of picking up a newspaper ad. He's never tried any of these 'earbuds' which are actually IEMs, so his opinion is based on no experience at all.

He's trying to be some sort of public crusader but doesn't even know what he's talking about. That's almost more dangerous than letting people buy the overpriced crap.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 23
One must recognize that some of the most "commercial" brands (Bose, Monster, etc) are a little overpriced for what they offer.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 23
But he isn't just mentioning Beats. He's putting the entire IEM industry under the bus, without even listening to one.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 23
It is that damn consumerism. People don't want the best of the best. They would rather remain ignorant. Same goes for politics...but that is for another day...

@Maxvla That is exactly what I am pissed about. There is a huge difference. Even between $30 Sony clearance sale specials and $40 Shure SE110's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back