Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ]
Dec 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #466 of 522
Sound signature wise, I don't think the Westone W4r's were too far off.  They were definitely more grainy though.  

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #467 of 522
Sound signature wise, I don't think the Westone W4r's were too far off.  They were definitely more grainy though.  

I'm surprised to read that. I haven't heard the W4 in a long time, but I do remember it sounded quite a bit warmer and smoother than the Grado GR10. Also, the Headfonia review said the RSM was like a GR10 in custom format. Perhaps the demo I heard of the RSM is very different to the actual custom. It's happened before.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #468 of 522
I haven't heard those grados :frowning2:   If they sound anything my sr80's, than yes the Alclairs are warmer.

The Westones were similar as far as warmth to my ear.  However the Westones were also veiled and grainy relative to my RSMs.  

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #473 of 522
My re 400s have poor bass extension and weak soundstage and imaging (rightfully so as a cheap 1 driver iem). I'm wondering if someone can reflect on their experience with the rsm or even any good multi BA iems. I never heard ciems or multi BA so I don't know how good it will be compared to over ears. I'm not expecting to get the soundstage of my meze 99 classics but I will probably buy the rsm if it at least doesn't have a 2-D soundstage and pleases me enough to use them over my 99c when I can benefit from portability. Also, I hear the bass extends well on the alclairs, but does it have good punch? Any answers are greatly appreciated as I think I will save for the rsms but don't completely trust spending that much yet being too unfamiliar with iems.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #474 of 522
Does anybody in the LA area or Bay Area have an RSM or Studio4 they'd be kind enough to let me measure using a modest mobile IEM measurement rig similar to the one crinacle uses? You can choose where we meet, although it needs to be a place without too much ambient noise like a public library or quiet coffee shop (or perhaps your place if you prefer). I'd be happy to buy you some coffee or lunch or something as a small thank you gift. Please PM me.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #476 of 522
Can anyone with the studio4 make further impressions? I'm hoping to see reviews at some point or an impressions thread for it. How does it compare to others? Especially the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered if anyone has heard the 4 as well as that. I'm looking for the best reference monitor possible. Not bright "reference" but just accurate to how music is intended to sound, following the harman target curve. From the few impressions of the studio4 I assume it's accurate like the UERR and not cold or sterile.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #477 of 522
Can anyone with the studio4 make further impressions? I'm hoping to see reviews at some point or an impressions thread for it. How does it compare to others? Especially the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered if anyone has heard the 4 as well as that. I'm looking for the best reference monitor possible. Not bright "reference" but just accurate to how music is intended to sound, following the harman target curve. From the few impressions of the studio4 I assume it's accurate like the UERR and not cold or sterile.

I’ve had the chance to compare the Studio 4 to the 64Audio A6, InEarz, and Perfect Seal, all great customs, I love the tonality, rhythm, pace and head stage with the S4. They aren’t bright by any means, presenting music in an organic and natural way. I absolutely love mine with mi Fiio X7, Mojo, and even desk top rig.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #478 of 522
Hey guys, I recently picked up some Studio 4s from the Black Friday sale last year and wanted to share my impressions. I've been listening to them for nearly a month now, and I've got to say they sound absolutely amazing.

First, a little backstory. I was in the market for some CIEMs for several months doing an excessive amount of research and was actually pretty much sold on Hidition NT6s. I read every review and thread I could find, looked at measurements from several sources, and even EQ'd a couple of my headphones to mimic the sound signature of the NT6. I really enjoyed that sound signature, and my only real concern with them was having to deal with an overseas company with a less than stellar translator. After trying to get in touch with Hidition and receiving no response, I started to shy away.

Not long after, I reached out to Alclair to see if I could get some measurements and more info about their RSMs and Studio 4s. I'd been reading a lot of great things about their CIEMs, but I'm always hesitant to buy audio products without first seeing some reliable measurements. While they couldn't provide any measurements, they were very responsive, friendly, and helpful. I also liked their above average warranty, reasonable pricing, and that they're US based, which keeps the shipping fast and cheap for any refits or warranty issues that may come up. As you may have already figured out, I decided to pull the trigger on the Studio 4, albeit somewhat reluctantly due to the lack of available measurements.

It took me about a month to receive my headphones, which I think is more than fair considering that it was the holiday season and I ordered them on the very last day of their Black Friday sale. This is my first pair of customs, but I'd say the build quality, fit, comfort, and isolation are all excellent as you would expect from a CIEM at this price point. The wood case is a nice touch too, although I personally prefer something more portable. No complaints there.

The Studio 4 sound is very inoffensive as well with a warm yet balanced character. Initially they actually sounded a little mellow or dull to my ear, especially relative to my headphones that I EQ'd to sound like the NT6, but after spending some more time with them, I've really grown to appreciate their tonality. I do notice a subtle 1 or 2 dB emphasis in the upper bass and slightly recessed upper mids and treble, but the frequency response is among the smoothest I've heard and more than adequately extended on both ends. They don't have that super crisp sound and exciting, in-your-face detail that you get from something with a little more upper-mid and treble emphasis (e.g. Hidition NT6). The detail and airiness is definitely still there, though. On the other hand, I feel like the slightly gentle treble actually enhances the sense of space giving them good stage width and depth especially for an in ear. It also makes for a very pleasant, non-fatiguing and fairly forgiving sound without giving up any of the detail. At the other end, the bass is tight and weighty. It can occasionally sound a touch boomy due to the aforementioned emphasis in the upper bass, but never enough to really detract from my enjoyment. I can't really fault the mids, and the imaging certainly isn't the most accurate I've experienced but still very good too.

Overall, these are excellent IEMs from an outstanding company. While they aren't exactly what I was originally looking for, I quickly grew to love their lush, non-fatiguing sound. They probably aren't the best at any one thing, and if you want really exciting treble or fun bass, then these aren't likely to satisfy. What they are is great all-arounders that do well with any genre and are great for long listening sessions. If that's what you're looking for, then I'd definitely recommend giving these a listen!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #479 of 522
Hey guys, I recently picked up some Studio 4s from the Black Friday sale last year and wanted to share my impressions. I've been listening to them for nearly a month now, and I've got to say they sound absolutely amazing.

First, a little backstory. I was in the market for some CIEMs for several months doing an excessive amount of research and was actually pretty much sold on Hidition NT6s. I read every review and thread I could find, looked at measurements from several sources, and even EQ'd a couple of my headphones to mimic the sound signature of the NT6. I really enjoyed that sound signature, and my only real concern with them was having to deal with an overseas company with a less than stellar translator. After trying to get in touch with Hidition and receiving no response, I started to shy away.

Not long after, I reached out to Alclair to see if I could get some measurements and more info about their RSMs and Studio 4s. I'd been reading a lot of great things about their CIEMs, but I'm always hesitant to buy audio products without first seeing some reliable measurements. While they couldn't provide any measurements, they were very responsive, friendly, and helpful. I also liked their above average warranty, reasonable pricing, and that they're US based, which keeps the shipping fast and cheap for any refits or warranty issues that may come up. As you may have already figured out, I decided to pull the trigger on the Studio 4, albeit somewhat reluctantly due to the lack of available measurements.

It took me about a month to receive my headphones, which I think is more than fair considering that it was the holiday season and I ordered them on the very last day of their Black Friday sale. This is my first pair of customs, but I'd say the build quality, fit, comfort, and isolation are all excellent as you would expect from a CIEM at this price point. The wood case is a nice touch too, although I personally prefer something more portable. No complaints there.

The Studio 4 sound is very unoffensive as well with a warm yet balanced character. Initially they actually sounded a little mellow or dull to my ear, especially relative to my headphones that I EQ'd to sound like the NT6, but after spending some more time with them, I've really grown to appreciate their tonality. I do notice a subtle 1 or 2 dB emphasis in the upper bass and slightly recessed upper mids and treble, but the frequency response is among the smoothest I've heard and more than adequately extended on both ends. They don't have that super crisp sound and exciting, in-your-face detail that you get from something with a little more upper-mid and treble emphasis (e.g. Hidition NT6). The detail and airiness is definitely still there, though. On the other hand, I feel like the slightly gentle treble actually enhances the sense of space giving them good stage width and depth especially for an in ear. It also makes for a very pleasant, non-fatiguing and fairly forgiving sound without giving up any of the detail. At the other end, the bass is tight and weighty. It can occasionally sound a touch boomy due to the aforementioned emphasis in the upper bass, but never enough to really detract from my enjoyment. I can't really fault the mids, and the imaging certainly isn't the most accurate I've experienced but still very good too.

Overall, these are excellent IEMs from an outstanding company. While they aren't exactly what I was originally looking for, I quickly grew to love their lush, non-fatiguing sound. They probably aren't the best at any one thing, so if you want really exciting treble or fun bass, then these aren't likely to satisfy. What they are is great all-arounders that do well with any genre and are great for long listening sessions. If that's what you're looking for, then I'd definitely recommend giving these a listen!
Great Review! Nice to see you like them. I have the RSMs and for quite a few years now and love them and what a great company! What source did you use for your review, and for daily use with your Studio4?

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #480 of 522
Great Review! Nice to see you like them. I have the RSMs and for quite a few years now and love them and what a great company! What source did you use for your review, and for daily use with your Studio4?

Thanks!

Ah, yeah I forgot to mention source. I've been listening mostly out of my iPhone X, iPhone 6 and O2+ODAC and the S4 sounds great with all of them. My review is based on those sources. I also tried them straight out of my Dell XPS 15 a few times, but I didn't enjoy them quite as much straight out of the laptop. I think it exaggerated the boominess a little more or something; I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I don't think the sound card in that laptop is very good, which is probably why.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back