Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ]
Jun 14, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #392 of 522
Getting my Alclair Spires next Monday if anyone is interested in the Spires...

Unfortunately I've never heard the Alclair RSM so I guess I can't really make a comparison or be of help :/

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #393 of 522
So I've been listening to the 4 driver for about a week now. It sounds to me to be the perfect balance of all three ranges of music (low/mid/high). It does have a decent bass presence and that's something I was really looking for. Compared to the CMVK's the bass is quite a bit less but everything else is so much more. The bass now mixes in well to the rest of the sound stage. I'm quite happy with it.

I have the iPhone mic cable as well as the newer high end cables. I haven't done enough A-B testing to determine if the aftermarket cable is significantly better. I think it is.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #394 of 522
So I've been listening to the 4 driver for about a week now. It sounds to me to be the perfect balance of all three ranges of music (low/mid/high). It does have a decent bass presence and that's something I was really looking for. Compared to the CMVK's the bass is quite a bit less but everything else is so much more. The bass now mixes in well to the rest of the sound stage. I'm quite happy with it.

I have the iPhone mic cable as well as the newer high end cables. I haven't done enough A-B testing to determine if the aftermarket cable is significantly better. I think it is.

I'm jealous!! I want that new 4 driver as well, I do have the RSMs.

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #398 of 522
Hey All, an update on the new 4 Driver from Alclair. My move is now complete, so some actual time to do some brief head to head comparisons with the RSM.

First, physically they are roughly 1/3 larger than the RSM, but much more comfortable, not sure why that's the case. Next, the included Forza Cable is excellent, I've compared it to another leading Brand and it performs quite well. Much better than the old Stock Cable.

Sonically, I still love my RSM, but the new Unit is an improvement across the board. First, headstage is expanded dramatically, it expands outside the head much like over ear headphones. Second, while the presentation is less intimate, the clarity is retained, giving a more "you are there" feeling (still a headphone type presentation). Listening to one of the greatest live albums ever, a surety at every party at the University of Arizona in the late '70's, Little Feats "Waiting for Columbus", there are several gems. First, cue up Spanish Moon for a bit of Swamp Funk. With the "Magna Sonus" (my name for the new Unit "Big Sound"), you get an out of the head experience with the intro and interplay of the drums, bass, horns, keyboard and slide guitar. You must get up and boogie (my Daughters just shaking her head in shame :wink:). Next up, Dixie Chicken, Payne's Piano is so sweet, tuneful, and Lowell George's slide guitar is soaring.

To be honest, I've been much slower than I should be in getting my desktop and two channel system set up, I'm just enjoying the Sonus Magnus that much, more to come in the "All AmericanShootout on the Headphone List!

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #399 of 522
Hey All, an update on the new 4 Driver from Alclair. My move is now complete, so some actual time to do some brief head to head comparisons with the RSM.

First, physically they are roughly 1/3 larger than the RSM, but much more comfortable, not sure why that's the case. Next, the included Forza Cable is excellent, I've compared it to another leading Brand and it performs quite well. Much better than the old Stock Cable.

Sonically, I still love my RSM, but the new Unit is an improvement across the board. First, headstage is expanded dramatically, it expands outside the head much like over ear headphones. Second, while the presentation is less intimate, the clarity is retained, giving a more "you are there" feeling (still a headphone type presentation). Listening to one of the greatest live albums ever, a surety at every party at the University of Arizona in the late '70's, Little Feats "Waiting for Columbus", there are several gems. First, cue up Spanish Moon for a bit of Swamp Funk. With the "Magna Sonus" (my name for the new Unit "Big Sound"), you get an out of the head experience with the intro and interplay of the drums, bass, horns, keyboard and slide guitar. You must get up and boogie (my Daughters just shaking her head in shame :wink:). Next up, Dixie Chicken, Payne's Piano is so sweet, tuneful, and Lowell George's slide guitar is soaring.

To be honest, I've been much slower than I should be in getting my desktop and two channel system set up, I'm just enjoying the Sonus Magnus that much, more to come in the "All AmericanShootout on the Headphone List!

Wonder if I should have waited for the New quad drivers instead of getting the Spires :/

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #402 of 522
getting them tomorrow, they were late a day.. well HOPEFULLY i get them tomorrow

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Spire! :) Post some pictures as well!

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #403 of 522
Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Spire!
smily_headphones1.gif
Post some pictures as well!

How about your own Spire?

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #404 of 522
Jun 21, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #405 of 522
out of curiosity, how come the alclairs aren't so popular or well-known? Anyone know?

There are start-ups like Vibro Aria who is getting massive attention and alclair which has been around for much longer hasn't received any attention at all...

There are zero reviews on head-fi on their CIEM...

I'm getting my CIEM later today. If they impress me enough, I'll change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back