Albums you absolutely have to rediscover when you get new headphones?
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #61 of 87
Any Radiohead album, but specifically Kid A, then In Rainbows.

John Coltrane's Blue Train.

Gorillaz Plastic Beach

The Killers Hot Fuss (most of it, not all)

Weezer- The Blue Album (most of it)

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #62 of 87
Pat Metheny's "Secret Sory" - absolutely amazing in every respect and just gets better with age. But, I love this album so much that I purposefully wait past any possible "burn-in" period just to make sure I'm hearing it at the best that the cans produce.

Also love James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater" and Sara Groves' "Conversations." A recent addition to my go to albums is Melody Gardot's "The Absence." it'll show off what your cans can do.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #63 of 87
Quote:
Weezer- The Blue Album (most of it)

I had the luxury of hearing some of this album @ a head-fi meet through STAX SR-009 cans. I never heard "My name is Jonas" before, but wow did that leave a lasting impression, along with my first time with electrostatic phones.

I actually really like the red album too, It's probably the only album I own that's a remotely recent top 40 that's on the poppier side. I guess a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's pretty unique. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is an exceptional song and amazing with phones.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #64 of 87

Ever since hearing this on my old ATH-AD2000, i've never heard it in the same way or nearly as good. I keep trying without any luck.
It seems that some very warm headphones make a complete mess out of this album. It was ruined by the HD-650 and a lot of other headphones.
There's a few tracks I use for reference in here.

Thom Yorke's "The Eraser" (singer for Radiohead's solo album)

I also love "Kid A". When I was around 20 I used to listen to this non-stop for months on my way home from work.
Another old favorite is "Pretty Hate Machine" from Nine Inch Nails. I hate most of his other albums. This one never gets old.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #65 of 87
I had the luxury of hearing some of this album @ a head-fi meet through STAX SR-009 cans. I never heard "My name is Jonas" before, but wow did that leave a lasting impression, along with my first time with electrostatic phones.

I actually really like the red album too, It's probably the only album I own that's a remotely recent top 40 that's on the poppier side. I guess a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's pretty unique. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is an exceptional song and amazing with phones.

The Red Album is excellent. Cold Dark World is one of my favorite Weezer songs.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #67 of 87
Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd.

The title track has all this extraneous noise - Dave Gilmour clearing his throat and breathing before the intro guitar solo, some woman talking in the background part way through, various clicks from studio switches being thrown. Remember the first time I heard that track with my GS1000i and was hearing all stuff I'd never heard before on tracks I've heard hundreds of times before...

(version I have is a 24-bit rip from mint vinyl done by a friend who is one of the countries best sound engineers)

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #70 of 87
I'm looking to get vinyl copies of most of Rush's earlier albums off of amazon. How different do you think it'll be than my mp3s?

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #73 of 87
Quote:

Pink Floyd: The Division Bell - The last great big hurrah of one of the greatest bands to ever grace the globe. Less often citet than earlier works but this shows off a more mature Pink Floyd that is technically beyond reproach. One of the best mastered albums ever - absolutely unbelivable production values. Listen to "wearing the inside out" and "high hopes" especially.

I listened to the Division Bell for the first time in forever a few weeks ago with my SRH-840's, I had already listened to a ton of Pink Floyd albums and the first response that came out of my mouth was "Holy $#!@". That album is mastered perfectly.

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #75 of 87
Rediscovered the album Friend and Foe by Menomena. I don’t think I have ever listened to it on good headphones. It sounds so good on my Modhouse Argons that I had to resurrect this ancient thread to recommend it to other people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back