ALAC vs. FLAC
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #16 of 183
Quote:
Well, since wherever he goes people all complain...you never know.  

OK, we know the same tunes.

beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 183
Nothing except Apple hw will play ALACs

Wrong, your beloved Rockboxed Clip+ will play them, no problem. There are also free decoders for all computer platforms (ffmpeg is one of them), so you can later convert them to FLAC or whatever.

Edit: foobar2000 on Windows and DeadBeef on linux also have native ALAC support, to name just those two.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #18 of 183
Quote:

Click the iTunes menu, pick "Preferences", click "General" (should be the pane that comes up first), look down toward the bottom right side, for "Import Settings".  Click that, and in the next window, click the drop menu "Import Using", pick Apple Lossless Encoder, and "Setting" should be set to "Automatic".  That's it, you're set.  Everything you import will come in bit-perfect, Apple Lossless. 

If by "Streamer" you mean an on-line purchase source, iTunes will play everything natively except FLAC and OGG.  If you want, there are ways to get iTunes to play FLAC but it's sort of a pain, or there are converters that will create bit-perfect AIF or Apple Lossless copies of your purchased FLAC files.  It's a bit of a google project for you...but there out there.  I found this:http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-flac-to-apple-lossless-audio.html

Thank you very much for this info and your input, and also the website that you provided for me. Thank you.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #19 of 183
Quote:

Click the iTunes menu, pick "Preferences", click "General" (should be the pane that comes up first), look down toward the bottom right side, for "Import Settings".  Click that, and in the next window, click the drop menu "Import Using", pick Apple Lossless Encoder, and "Setting" should be set to "Automatic".  That's it, you're set.  Everything you import will come in bit-perfect, Apple Lossless. 

If by "Streamer" you mean an on-line purchase source, iTunes will play everything natively except FLAC and OGG.  If you want, there are ways to get iTunes to play FLAC but it's sort of a pain, or there are converters that will create bit-perfect AIF or Apple Lossless copies of your purchased FLAC files.  It's a bit of a google project for you...but there out there.  I found this:http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-flac-to-apple-lossless-audio.html

Thanks for the guide on how to get into the menu settings so I can begin converting, and also the website that you provided. Thank you.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #22 of 183
Quote:

..That's an interesting option; the last time I checked ALAC support on Rockbox it was flakey, but looking at the codecs page it seems to be mature now.

Those Rockbox guys are a hard working bunch! 

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 183
Quote:

Those Rockbox guys are a hard working bunch! 

Yes, but you have to wonder at their sanity... Checking the codecs page http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SoundCodecs there's all sorts of crazy stuff. A plug-in for playing midi is semi-sane - this means playing real midi using a software synth inside of rockbox rather than recordings made from midi - but support for sid? Which is "music from Commodore 64 games and other productions" - is their sub-culture of people who listen to music from 1980s 8-bit computer games and who refuse to use recordings because that wouldn't be in the right spirit? So someone hacked rockbox so it can read these files directly and synthesize the soundtrack to Star Raiders???

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 183
Quote:

Yes, but you have to wonder at their sanity... Checking the codecs page http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SoundCodecs there's all sorts of crazy stuff. A plug-in for playing midi is semi-sane - this means playing real midi using a software synth inside of rockbox rather than recordings made from midi - but support for sid? Which is "music from Commodore 64 games and other productions" - is their sub-culture of people who listen to music from 1980s 8-bit computer games and who refuse to use recordings because that wouldn't be in the right spirit? So someone hacked rockbox so it can read these files directly and synthesize the soundtrack to Star Raiders???

They embody the spirit of the primal hackers!  If the hardware can support a codec, you should be able to use it by gawd!  
beerchug.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #26 of 183
  Is Apple lossless as good as Free lossless audio codec? If not what's the differencen?

They both do the same thing, though it seems there is more support for FLAC than Apple Lossless.  Make sure you use a secure ripper when you create the lossless file, and I'd say use whatever your devices support more.

FWIW, there is an app in the iTunes Store to play FLAC on an iPod; so I'd probably suggest using FLAC instead of Apple Lossless.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #28 of 183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back