1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ALAC vs. FLAC

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by jonasras, Mar 5, 2013.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last
  1. nelamvr6
    Quote:

[​IMG]

2. skamp

Wrong, your beloved Rockboxed Clip+ will play them, no problem. There are also free decoders for all computer platforms (ffmpeg is one of them), so you can later convert them to FLAC or whatever.

Edit: foobar2000 on Windows and DeadBeef on linux also have native ALAC support, to name just those two.

3. joseph69
    Quote:
    Thank you very much for this info and your input, and also the website that you provided for me. Thank you.

4. joseph69
    Quote:
    Thanks for the guide on how to get into the menu settings so I can begin converting, and also the website that you provided. Thank you.

5. jaddie
    Quote:
    Also look around for XLD, which converts FLAC to anything.  

6. scuttle
    Quote:

..That's an interesting option; the last time I checked ALAC support on Rockbox it was flakey, but looking at the codecs page it seems to be mature now.

7. nelamvr6
    Quote:

Those Rockbox guys are a hard working bunch! 

8. scuttle
    Quote:

Yes, but you have to wonder at their sanity... Checking the codecs page http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SoundCodecs there's all sorts of crazy stuff. A plug-in for playing midi is semi-sane - this means playing real midi using a software synth inside of rockbox rather than recordings made from midi - but support for sid? Which is "music from Commodore 64 games and other productions" - is their sub-culture of people who listen to music from 1980s 8-bit computer games and who refuse to use recordings because that wouldn't be in the right spirit? So someone hacked rockbox so it can read these files directly and synthesize the soundtrack to Star Raiders???

9. nelamvr6
    Quote:

They embody the spirit of the primal hackers!  If the hardware can support a codec, you should be able to use it by gawd!  [​IMG]

10. OceanGuru
    Quote:
    This. Of course it isn't just codecs. A person could get lost for days in the settings menu Rockbox provides exploring all the tweaks.

11. hogger129

They both do the same thing, though it seems there is more support for FLAC than Apple Lossless.  Make sure you use a secure ripper when you create the lossless file, and I'd say use whatever your devices support more.

FWIW, there is an app in the iTunes Store to play FLAC on an iPod; so I'd probably suggest using FLAC instead of Apple Lossless.

12. kyo9112
    Isnt AIFF better than ALAC?
    I get confused here

13. noahbickart

Nope.

They are the same.

Bit for bit identical in fact.

14. whocaifeng
    good,Saint Steven is still trying to protect his children from FLAC, even from beyond the grave.
    [​IMG]

15. hogger129

In terms of the sound quality, AIFF = ALAC.  AIFF has more support across more devices, but ALAC uses less space.  I would just use whatever your playback devices support.

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last