AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Sep 16, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,219 of 1,544
yeah, understand but I think they are worth it. You can always use the filters to account for the increased bass if its too much with foam.
I only sold mine because I was never able to get a good seal, but I also never tried using foam tips. I normally have fit issues with larger sized shells, but with their smaller size I just couldn't get them to seal properly. I've learned since then to try different tips before discounting an IEM, but even then I'm not a huge fan of tip-rolling.

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,220 of 1,544
I only sold mine because I was never able to get a good seal, but I also never tried using foam tips. I normally have fit issues with larger sized shells, but with their smaller size I just couldn't get them to seal properly. I've learned since then to try different tips before discounting an IEM, but even then I'm not a huge fan of tip-rolling.
Foam gives the best fit/sound for my ears, but the bass is still buried. I have other phones where the bass is great, so I don’t think it’s my hearing. My reference track for assessing bass is So What, the first track on Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue, which starts of with solo stand up bass, and the instruments come in.

Oct 4, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,221 of 1,544
I just received some AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastic eartips and I can say already that they are a big improvement to what I was using previously. Highly recommended for the N5005. I will be doing a lot more critical listening with these (including in the car to see if they're better at isolating) and will post about them again soon.

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,222 of 1,544
I recently got an used one under 300, and I really enjoy it very much. With the reference filter, it sounds very similar to Moondrop Variations (understandable as both follow the Harman target). Bass quantity is more on Variations, but bass quality is better on N5005. Mid is similar. For treble, N5005 has more air (specially mid-high filter, it sparkles). Overall, Variations is more relaxing, and N5005 is more analytical and dry. Only con of N5005 is the plasticky timbre.
I can't decide which i should keep. If you can get N5005 around 3-400 (remember MSRP was 999), it is the best value iem PERIOD.

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,223 of 1,544
I've seen that Cinacle called its timbre plasticky, but I've never understood that. I can't hear it at all and I'm not sure what it even means. I paid $325 here for a set, and I consider it incredibly worth that price. My only gripe is the finnicky fit which is thoroughly addressed here.

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,224 of 1,544
I recently got an used one under 300, and I really enjoy it very much. With the reference filter, it sounds very similar to Moondrop Variations (understandable as both follow the Harman target). Bass quantity is more on Variations, but bass quality is better on N5005. Mid is similar. For treble, N5005 has more air (specially mid-high filter, it sparkles). Overall, Variations is more relaxing, and N5005 is more analytical and dry. Only con of N5005 is the plasticky timbre.
I can't decide which i should keep. If you can get N5005 around 3-400 (remember MSRP was 999), it is the best value iem PERIOD.
I got an adapter from AliExpress from mmcx to the n5005 connector, cable rolling not only helped getting better mids and treble, it also increased soundstage, these pair, obravo Cupid’s and the acoustune 1670ss are pairs that cable rolling does miracles to em.

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,225 of 1,544
I got an adapter from AliExpress from mmcx to the n5005 connector, cable rolling not only helped getting better mids and treble, it also increased soundstage, these pair, obravo Cupid’s and the acoustune 1670ss are pairs that cable rolling does miracles to em.
I already ordered an adapter. I will do some rolling with my existing cables. I may order Null Audio Arete with n5005 socket

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,226 of 1,544
I've seen that Cinacle called its timbre plasticky, but I've never understood that. I can't hear it at all and I'm not sure what it even means. I paid $325 here for a set, and I consider it incredibly worth that price. My only gripe is the finnicky fit which is thoroughly addressed here.
When you compare it with Moondrop Variations (which has EST), you can definitely hear its plasticky timbre. Maybe it is not totally fair to compare EST vs BA. I just happen to have both now, so I hear the difference noticeably.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,228 of 1,544
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,230 of 1,544
"This item is currently not available." :slight_frown:

Well, I was able to snag one just before I posted the link. I guess they sold out fast. Terribly sorry for that. I have been waiting for months for the sale price to happen again. I just got the Black Friday email this morning which prompted me to check.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back