AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,096 of 1,548
Have not checked replies to this thread for ages, and expected to have to read many pages. Barely an new posts though.

Just checking in to post about still loving my N5005. I had not used them for a while and it's easy to forget how good they can be. I have them attached most of the time to a Chord Electronics Hugo 2, and the pairing it brilliant. Surprising levels of micro-details, and well as a full rich sound signature. With Chord DACS being bang on neutral, it's easy to be able to evaluate the sound signature of equipment.

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,097 of 1,548
I second that, this is such a underrated model, funny how other brands get so much noise cause of hype and actual good headphones are just left cause nobody else talks about em, this, all the acoustune and the Sony m9 are the best examples

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,098 of 1,548
I second that, this is such a underrated model, funny how other brands get so much noise cause of hype and actual good headphones are just left cause nobody else talks about em, this, all the acoustune and the Sony m9 are the best examples
We're not talking about them because we're busy listening. Pound for pound, the best audiophile earphone I own. In my Top 4 for sure.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,099 of 1,548
It's funny, but to me the first gen GR07 BE sounded better than both the N5005 and the K3003i I have. Actually I like the K3003i better but the cable is a nightmare and the shells are a bit heavy. The N5005 sounds to dark for me even with the treble boost filter. Different ears, I guess...

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,100 of 1,548
I think the N5005 lightly follow the Harman Curve, or maybe they do closely but I can't remember.

Would the mid-high boost filters level the frequency response, to make the N5005 more neutral. Or would we want a mid only boost to do that?

Any thoughts anyone please, or does anyone know pretty much definitively?

May 2, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,101 of 1,548
i’m currently owning a pair of N5005, really like them but i’m ready for an upgrade

i prefer my next iem to have a bigger & wider soundstage, a bit better in layer, details and the bass is tighter compared to N5005
What do u guys recommend?? My budget is about 1k5-2k $

May 2, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,102 of 1,548
i’m currently owning a pair of N5005, really like them but i’m ready for an upgrade

i prefer my next iem to have a bigger & wider soundstage, a bit better in layer, details and the bass is tighter compared to N5005
What do u guys recommend?? My budget is about 1k5-2k $

Acoustune 1670ss or if you got cash 1690ti
Sony ier m9 (majestic iem)
Not like... a high end upgrade but if you stumble upon a imr rah, dude, go for it. Soundstage in em are second to none

May 6, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,104 of 1,548
I can vouch for the tia Trio, tried a pair last year and was smitten. Luckily they went down in price a bit so I was finally able to get a pair, granted, a used pair. Sound-stage on the Trio is the best I've heard.

May 25, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,107 of 1,548
I think the N5005 lightly follow the Harman Curve, or maybe they do closely but I can't remember.

Would the mid-high boost filters level the frequency response, to make the N5005 more neutral. Or would we want a mid only boost to do that?

Any thoughts anyone please, or does anyone know pretty much definitively?

sorry I didn't se this earlier. The 5005s with the MID HIGH boost filters follow the Harman IEM target, I would recommend everyone start with mid high boost and listen for a few days before trying anything else. The info is from Sean Olive himself when i talked with him in ~winter 2018/2019

May 25, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,108 of 1,548
Ive been rolling a lot iems lately, this ones never ever disappoint, changed the tips to cp100’s and maaaaan, the longer nozzle made the soundstage almost as big as my imr rah (the rah imo has the biggest soundstage along with the tri i03 which has same height and depth but better separation) this iems are a gem

May 25, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,109 of 1,548
In my case, I have different headphones, open and closed, dynamic and planar, but since I got my N5005, they are the only ones I use, even being iems. I didn't realize before how important the frequency response is, above other factors like soundstage or imaging. I hope more companies start manufacturing their transducers following this Harman curve, it just sounds right to me, and more pleasant than ever.

May 25, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #1,110 of 1,548
I hope more companies start manufacturing their transducers following this Harman curve, it just sounds right to me, and more pleasant than ever.

Good news for you - A lot of mfrs doing approximations of it now... not necessarily a good job of it, but it is extremely "in fashion".
Moondrop & Tanchjim I think have built good reputations by making some well regarded harman-ish IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back