AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #1,066 of 1,544
New member here. I bought the N5005s a little over a year ago. I'm really surprised they haven't got more love. FWIW they're my first hi res IEMs, so I can't compare them to other IEMs. I use them with the Hugo2 and primarily hi res audio files - rock, jazz, folk, roots, some classical. Here are my impressions.

- Fantastic sound that is a real pleasure to listen to, either with my DAC or using my Apple X's DAC. Instruments, in particular trumpet and sax, are full and natural sounding.
- Amazing detail, mid-range warmth and instrument separation. Listening to multi-part vocal harmonies I can quite easily listen to each individual vocal line.
- Treble is bright but not too bright.
- The bass is considerably less present than I would like. I don't consider myself a bass head - my HD650s come across as a little overpronounced, even muddy, in the low end - but I like to be able to hear the bass guitar and kick drum in the mix without having to concentrate hard. One of my go-to tracks is Miles Davis' So What. The opening stand-up bass notes are definitely there, but they don't stand out as they do with the aforementioned 650s. Similarly, in rock songs the electric bass and drums are clear but to my ear not fully present.
- Possibly related to the previous point, I had a very difficult time finding earbuds that fit and gave me a good seal. I tried all the ones that came in the box, and ended up ordering another few sets based on forum comments. I ended up using foam tips that worked well. I was using the bass filter, but didn't find it made a big difference, and went back to the neutral filter.
- The Bluetooth option is very nice to have and works well, though not something I use very often.
- My phone's DAC is able to drive the IEMs just fine, though in busy, outdoor environments, I would appreciate a little more volume.

All in all I am blown away by the N5005s, and would purchase them again in a heartbeat.

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,067 of 1,544
Same here. I had these for a day and felt they're pretty much on par with the K3003, but their design is less ergonomic and comfy for me. Personally, I'd say the reference tuning represents a slight v-shape. Treble seems a little less spiky to my ears than the graph that's been posted might suggest (possibly a coupler resonance?). But tbh, I didn't hear a noteworthy upgrade in treble quality vs. my old K3003.

Overall, a decent pair of IEMs and a very complete package with all the cables, bluetooth and stuff... but still a little underwhelming imo, considering how much time has passed since the launch of the K3003.

Are these worth upgrading from the EX1000 etc? I love the EX100- treble spikes and would like to know if the N5005 has that same type of pure bright EX1000 treble quality!! :)

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #1,068 of 1,544
Are these worth upgrading from the EX1000 etc? I love the EX100- treble spikes and would like to know if the N5005 has that same type of pure bright EX1000 treble quality!! :)
Sadly no, N5005 doesn't have that kind of brightness, but much much better fit and bass imo. My EX1000 is filterless, do yours already modded or not?

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,070 of 1,544
How would these compare to the sony ex1000 or audiosense t800? I love both of those but just got an akg k701 and want to try their iems. I am seriously surprised how good the k701 is (got them for 10 bucks) and really am now curious to try orher stuff from them. Thats the first akg ive spent time with besides a short audition at a store of a model i cant remember. Anyways, what iem should i look at to fair well against the 2 iems stated? Different signature is fine i dont care, just looking for one that is on the same level of the 2 stated and these looked interesting

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,071 of 1,544
How would these compare to the sony ex1000 or audiosense t800? I love both of those but just got an akg k701 and want to try their iems. I am seriously surprised how good the k701 is (got them for 10 bucks) and really am now curious to try orher stuff from them. Thats the first akg ive spent time with besides a short audition at a store of a model i cant remember. Anyways, what iem should i look at to fair well against the 2 iems stated? Different signature is fine i dont care, just looking for one that is on the same level of the 2 stated and these looked interesting
IMO I will put 5005 miles above both of them. Ex1000 has poor fit

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #1,072 of 1,544
I actually feel the n5005 is way superior to the fh7, HEY! But they can share filters! :wink: but yeah, i own both and imo the n5005 has the upper hand, the only other iem i can place it against is the ier m9
I own both m9 and n5005 and I have to agree. These two are nearly on the same level. Although I'll give an edge to M9 because of its amazing clarity and imaging. However i find the n5005 tonality to be more enjoyable and its bass is just amazing. Probably one of the best I ever heard in any top-tier iem. Highly underrated iem, especially considering its price.

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,073 of 1,544
IMO I will put 5005 miles above both of them. Ex1000 has poor fit

See that's where i realize everyone is different. They fit absolutely amazing to me, the most comfortable iem ive tried to be honest. So if we take away fit since that's where we differ, what about sound quality alone?

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #1,074 of 1,544
See that's where i realize everyone is different. They fit absolutely amazing to me, the most comfortable iem ive tried to be honest. So if we take away fit since that's where we differ, what about sound quality alone?
SQ alone the still I enjoy the 5005 more, might because of its amazing bass response. EX1000 single DD lacks some micro details and separation that I've found in 5005, but better soundstage and treble extension.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #1,076 of 1,544
I’m looking for a 3.5 mm cable for this one.

Is there anything i should be well aware of, cos’ on their website - AKG say the mmcx connector of n5005 is not quite universal??
Bispa sells cables that are compatible with N5005. I got one from Amazon Japan. Just beware the fit it super tight, you have to twist and push at the same time, but they do click and stay well well connected.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,077 of 1,544
Jan 20, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #1,078 of 1,544
Sadly no, N5005 doesn't have that kind of brightness, but much much better fit and bass imo. My EX1000 is filterless, do yours already modded or not?
Better fit yes, After 58 hours of burn in ur right playa the N5005 BASS is much Better, naw playa i keep the fliters on since it was sony orginal design to have fliters lol Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back