AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Jul 25, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #946 of 1,541
any idea how N5005 compares to Fiio FH-7? Given the amazon price, they are similar in price
I have both.
The simple answer is they are both great in their own ways.

The N5005 is tuned more towards "audiophile" preferences, it has solid bass decent soundstage and instrument separation, quite 3d.

The FH7, I've never heard an iem quite like them so comparisons are difficult (for me at least).

They have all the attributes of the N5005, but its overall sound would best be described as fun and exciting, but still as detailed as hell.

It's all down to personal preferences but I don't think either of them would be a bad choice

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #947 of 1,541
I have both.
The simple answer is they are both great in their own ways.

The N5005 is tuned more towards "audiophile" preferences, it has solid bass decent soundstage and instrument separation, quite 3d.

The FH7, I've never heard an iem quite like them so comparisons are difficult (for me at least).

They have all the attributes of the N5005, but its overall sound would best be described as fun and exciting, but still as detailed as hell.

It's all down to personal preferences but I don't think either of them would be a bad choice

thanks for the fast response.

Few questions.

1. I think the only complaints I hear regarding the Fiio FH7 is the trebles might have some sibilance. Would you say the N5005 have any drawbacks similar to the FH7? Maybe a really brief comparison between the two IEMs on bass, mid, trebles?

2. If you were to choose only one, would you choose N5005 or FH7?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #948 of 1,541

Few questions.

1. I think the only complaints I hear regarding the Fiio FH7 is the trebles might have some sibilance. Would you say the N5005 have any drawbacks similar to the FH7? Maybe a really brief comparison between the two IEMs on bass, mid, trebles?

Thanks!
I believe some people noticed slight sibilance in the beginning but it smoothed out, I never experienced any. I had gotten an open box pair for "cheap" last year (about the same price they are going for now), sold it then bought it back a few months later, when it was returned there was a nozzle crack that developed. Went though Harman for a repair, they ended up just shipping me a brand new pair. So I've heard a slightly used one and a brand new one.

The N5005 are smooth and engaging, 3D sound with a good amount of depth and a good enough sense of sound stage width. I'll never be stupid and sell them again.

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #949 of 1,541
Hi,

The treble on the Fh7 is definitely brighter, but it is more detailed in my opinion. Bear in mind I'm in my 60s and though I have excellent hearing my tolerance to treble is probably higher than yours.

The bass on both is good to great. I would probably give the edge to the N5005 it seems to have deeper sub bass and is more controlled.

Mids both are excellent, the FH7 are probably a bit more forward but both are clear and well defined.

Overall if I had to chose just one, and I'm fortunate that I don't, I would probably choose the FH7.

But don't forget the accessory package with the N5005, balanced cable and bluetooth. That's not to be sniffed at.
Few questions.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #950 of 1,541
any idea how N5005 compares to Fiio FH-7? Given the amazon price, they are similar in price

You can also consider the RHA CL2 which is also on sale on Amazon. There's a long thread here on head-fi about them.

Both N5005 and CL2 are $1000 iems, they are just on sale, and they both include a high quality Bluetooth cable.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #951 of 1,541
You can also consider the RHA CL2 which is also on sale on Amazon. There's a long thread here on head-fi about them.

Both N5005 and CL2 are $1000 iems, they are just on sale, and they both include a high quality Bluetooth cable.

Thank you for the recommendation. The choice just got harder :frowning2:

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #952 of 1,541
I haven't heard the CL2 myself, a reviewer on here who I trust, says to stay away from it. Some people like the sound but its one of those unusual ones.

I guess with Amazon you can always return something easily if you don't care for it.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #953 of 1,541
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy one of those. Since the price has gone down to over 500 USD. I'm currently own the LG V50. Does it sufficient for this pair of headphones? I heard the LG amp is quite capable to drive certain headphone when you tricked it to the high impedance mode. If the LG one doesn't. Which dac/ amp should i get to pair with this? Thank you.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #954 of 1,541
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy one of those. Since the price has gone down to over 500 USD. I'm currently own the LG V50. Does it sufficient for this pair of headphones? I heard the LG amp is quite capable to drive certain headphone when you tricked it to the high impedance mode. If the LG one doesn't. Which dac/ amp should i get to pair with this? Thank you.
I'm sure it will be fine, they play with ease from my ES100 and ZX300 which aren't power houses...do note, I'm running balanced which helps a little bit

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #955 of 1,541
Thank you for the recommendation. The choice just got harder :frowning2:

Hi j2kei,

I own both. I can share some comparative impressions.

This is a good point, Totoxio, because this bluetooth neck - addon makes them stand out at this price range.
I listen at super low volume levels ( striving to avoid any hearing degradation). Even at very low levels I don't like the CL2 driven from its Bluetooth neckband, it sounds washed out, not full, not worth using driven like this. I find that the N5005 fares fine with its Bluetooth chord and I do use them like this (before having the N5005, the only Bluetooth IEMs I liked were the inexpensive Focal Sparks wireless). So here for me the N5005 "wins".

Re. neutrality, the N5005 have easily the upper hand, the CL2 having unfortunately a big overemphasis in the lower trebble, much larger than a peak, from before 3 kHz to 5 kHz, I would call it rather a mountain. If neutrality is very important to you, then the CL2 may be ruled out because of this.

Re. bass the CL2 is the easy winner with its highly enjoyable planar magnetic driver.

Re. trebble, the N5005 has a pure, crystal-clear and flatter treble except for a peak at 10 kHz, while the CL2 has that 3-5kHz mountain followed by a subdued trebble.

Both have great attacks.

Re. even more subjective impressions I find the CL2 more fun and more suitable for long listening sessions ( less fatigue because of the CL2 's subdued higher trebble while the N5005 has that 10 kHz sharp peak).

Generally, I think that the N5005 is better than the CL2 for classical music genres.

Both have a nice, small form factor but the CL2 is quite flat so that it fits perfectly and tightly within my ears without extending while the N5005 has a bulkier shape making it protrude a bit out of my ears.

The CL2 inserts very easily into my ear canal and blocks very well outside noise while none of this is the case for me with the N5005.

So I pointed out some positive and negative sides of each for my personal case.
Another thing, comparing to previous models from the same companies:

- RHA, CL2 vs 650: huge improvements in most respects (except drivability), especially in bass which was really lacking with the 650. ( I don't own the 650 but listened to it at my dealer).

- AKG, N5005 vs K3003: improvements in SQ, specially re. bass and sibilance ( I couldn't listen to metal with the K3003, way to sibilant for me with metal, but great with classical); I prefer the tinier form-factor and the insertion of the K3003, but the Bluetooth capabilities of the N5005 are a definitive asset.

Hoping these short thoughts may be useful to you and to other head-fiers, I wish you a lot of enjoyment with your music,
bidn

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #956 of 1,541
I'm sure it will be fine, they play with ease from my ES100 and ZX300 which aren't power houses...do note, I'm running balanced which helps a little bit

Wonder if N5005 do well on iBasso Amp9. I'm considering to upgrade from IT04 since the sale price is so sweet.

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #957 of 1,541
Wonder if N5005 do well on iBasso Amp9. I'm considering to upgrade from IT04 since the sale price is so sweet.

I haven't heard IT04 yet, but own N5005 and DX220.
I also demoed AMP9 for 1 week, and thought that DX229 and N5005 is very good.
AMP1 MKII is good as AMP9 and matches well with N5005, so i decided to enjoy AMP1 MKII and purchase AMP9 when i feel i want another taste.

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #959 of 1,541
I haven't heard IT04 yet, but own N5005 and DX220.
I also demoed AMP9 for 1 week, and thought that DX229 and N5005 is very good.
AMP1 MKII is good as AMP9 and matches well with N5005, so i decided to enjoy AMP1 MKII and purchase AMP9 when i feel i want another taste.

Do you remember your listening volume level on Amp9? Do you need to push it to 130-140/150 high gain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back