AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Mar 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #212 of 1,541

I am also a reviewer in Germany and Austria.....the most critycal lol......i also know the most of the engineers/contributors from this crazy industrie behind the products and know about long time before when it came on the market

AKG K3003......was 7 Years ago....great IEM for this Time

BUILDQUALITY 1
BASS 2
MIDS 2
HIGHS 2
FIT/COMFORT 3-4

2018....7 years later....

AKG N5005

BUILDQUALITY 2
BASS 1
MIDS 3
HIGHS 4 to harsh!!
FIT/COMFFORT 1 with the Spin Fit

All in all.......sorry the 5005 is to bright/harsh Sounding for 999 Euros

I personally prefer ORIOLUS MK2/MELLANUS or the AUDEZE LCDi4

Here my last picture with serial number 000000

REGARDS FROM AUSTRIA

Nomax

I am not familiar with your reputation or reviews Nomax, but I respectfully disagree with your assertion around the N5005 sounding harsh. Maybe your serial number 0 model is defective or tuned differently from mine? I am using the med high boost filter as well, sounds smooth to me.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #213 of 1,541
It can be harsh sounding to him. It varies from person to person drastically.

Only way is to try out yourself. Also try different source, ear tips, especially foam to reduce harshness.

On top, this iem has tuning filters. Is it harsh even on most bass heavy filters?

I really like the accessory package akg has thrown in, also a flagship iem at high but no longer eye watering price. Looks pretty good to me.

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #214 of 1,541

I am also a reviewer in Germany and Austria.....the most critycal lol......i also know the most of the engineers/contributors from this crazy industrie behind the products and know about long time before when it came on the market

AKG K3003......was 7 Years ago....great IEM for this Time

BUILDQUALITY 1
BASS 2
MIDS 2
HIGHS 2
FIT/COMFORT 3-4

2018....7 years later....

AKG N5005

BUILDQUALITY 2
BASS 1
MIDS 3
HIGHS 4 to harsh!!
FIT/COMFFORT 1 with the Spin Fit

All in all.......sorry the 5005 is to bright/harsh Sounding for 999 Euros

I personally prefer ORIOLUS MK2/MELLANUS or the AUDEZE LCDi4

Here my last picture with serial number 000000

REGARDS FROM AUSTRIA

Nomax
What`s your ranking system? 1-6 and 1 ist best? Like the German school grades?

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #216 of 1,541
I am not familiar with your reputation or reviews Nomax, but I respectfully disagree with your assertion around the N5005 sounding harsh. Maybe your serial number 0 model is defective or tuned differently from mine? I am using the med high boost filter as well, sounds smooth to me.

I am over twenty years behind the scenes in this industry....and about defective unit.....its not the first unit that i have lol

My english is not the best.....its the reason that Head Fi is not my main playingfield

I will write later few words about N5005

REGARDS NOMAX

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #217 of 1,541
Well what a difference a tip has made for me.

Using the Comply TSX500 medium size. Fit is now perfect for me and the sound is quite simply very very good.

Think I said it when I first tried these before my first unit broke but they instantly remind me of the Ety Er4 using the reference filters.
Due to this I can see why Nomax might think they are harsh in the treble.

The treble is very accurate with pace - very similar to the Ety’s. The bass is also very accurate and when the song requires bass then it produces bass, what it doesn’t do is exaggerate the bass. I think sometimes there are so many earphones out there that add a presence to the bass (not implying this is bad) that when we hear something that doesn’t we then assume it’s harsh on the treble. I’m hearing no harshness, just a very neurtral presentation of the music.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #218 of 1,541
My final words and conclusion

In my Opinion, the whole soundsignature of the new N5005 is too bright and aggressive. Also to change the filters won´t help. This tuning has nothing to do with a neutral or "Reference " sound.

In 2011 it would be okay for 999 Euros....but not in 2018

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

PS.i will also show the N5005 to the main Contributor/Engineer from the K3003

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #219 of 1,541

In my Opinion, the whole soundsignature of the new N5005 is too bright and aggressive. Also to change the filters won´t help. This tuning has nothing to do with a neutral or "Reference " sound.

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

Please keep us updated on what the main contributor think of the N5005. I am also wondering if there's some Austrian bias towards the N5005 though, seeing that AKG Austria has nothing to do with N5005 and it's a Samsung product instead..just some food for thoughts..

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #220 of 1,541
Just very respectfully Nomax: not everyone is after so-called "reference/neutral" tuning for TOTL IEMs.

As the word suggests, reference is a very personal concept. If it is neutral to you, good, but it may be very different for other people.
And to add complications, pairing with various sources may significantly alter the result.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #221 of 1,541

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

Could you be specific about the frequencies you find too bright? (For instance is it like a 6khz peak or 10khz peak etc...)

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #222 of 1,541
I received mine on Friday and they've been running in since. I'm not at all sensitive to the highs many people seem to be. HD800 is still my "perfect reference" - so frame my comments accordingly.

There's a LOT I like about the N5005. However, very "fiddly" fit for me. I've had to struggle and swap out tips way more than usual. I've never experienced such a wide range of bad characteristics that melted away so completely when I finally found the optimal fit and seal. REALLY disconcerting. The smaller the tip/sleeve, the brighter/harsher the sound. The bigger, the better. Very resolving, articulate bass - great impact. I'm NOT a bass head, so YMMV.

Haven't played at all with filter swapping yet.

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #223 of 1,541
I received mine on Friday and they've been running in since. I'm not at all sensitive to the highs many people seem to be. HD800 is still my "perfect reference" - so frame my comments accordingly.

There's a LOT I like about the N5005. However, very "fiddly" fit for me. I've had to struggle and swap out tips way more than usual. I've never experienced such a wide range of bad characteristics that melted away so completely when I finally found the optimal fit and seal. REALLY disconcerting. The smaller the tip/sleeve, the brighter/harsher the sound. The bigger, the better. Very resolving, articulate bass - great impact. I'm NOT a bass head, so YMMV.

Haven't played at all with filter swapping yet.

Do You have other, third party tips to try?

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #225 of 1,541
AKG N5005s just landed. Right now I can state the vocals are outstanding (reference tips and I'm using the spinfire (???) tips that came with it).

Let me say this off the back, the packaging is stunning of some of the highest quality I've seen in totl iem packaging. I know many have scoff at the $1K price tag (I didn't pay that and you can find deal if you really want one), but these earphones are quite cheaper than when the K3003 initially came out. and the K3003 only gave you three filter pairs, some tips and nice leather wrap around case.

the N5005 is like getting three high-end earphones in one. You get a high-end 3.5 cable, a high-end 2.3 balanced cable and a high-end Bluetooth cable (plus the charger for the Bluetooth). The case (I think it's leather but haven't inspected it yet) has the plate on it with the numbers engraved to let you know in what order you iem was manufactured (or it's the serial number...lol... again I just glanced at the case). Everything feels of the highest quality. The earphones feel marvelous in my hands.

Now, one important question I will address in just a few minutes of listening: there's no harshness in in the highs that I have detected. Those who know me here know that I'm very sensitive to harsh highs. Actually, I think the K3003's had more harsh highs (that settled down a bit after some get long playing and burn-in).

Bass is there and is adequate at this point, but I definitely believe it will come out more several hours of good burn-in (again, as was the case with my K3003, which I still own). Really early sound thoughts: very very good sounding earphone with superb vocals and clarity. More to come.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back