AKG ruined my headphones, what to do?
May 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Aerofallosov

New Head-Fier
Back in January, the left driver of my AKG 240DFs was going dead. I decided to send them to an official AKG repairman Richard Land up in Tennessee. A month or so had gone by, and apparently Richard was waiting for parts to be shipped from AKG in Northridge, CA. A couple more months went by and apparently he was going to ship the headphones themselves to AKG Northridge instead. Finally, after 5 months of waiting to get a simple driver replacement, I was ecstatic to find a box from AKG at my front door.

Unfortunately the box contained the mangled remains of my 240DFs. The ENTIRE headphone (not just the faulty left driver) has been completely dismembered, smeared with some greenish discharge, and stuffed in a plastic bodybag. I can't imagine this as the result of someone trying to perform what is supposed to be a relatively simple repair. If you told me AKG repairs were headed by a herd of irritable orangutans, maybe I'd believe it. When I sent them in, they were still somewhat usable, but now in their current state they're completely worthless to me.

Is there any way I can complain to AKG about this and get some sort of compensation, or am I just pretty much screwed since they were no longer under warranty?

May 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerofallosov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in January, the left driver of my AKG 240DFs was going dead. I decided to send them to an official AKG repairman Richard Land up in Tennessee. A month or so had gone by, and apparently Richard was waiting for parts to be shipped from AKG in Northridge, CA. A couple more months went by and apparently he was going to ship the headphones themselves to AKG Northridge instead. Finally, after 5 months of waiting to get a simple driver replacement, I was ecstatic to find a box from AKG at my front door.

Unfortunately the box contained the mangled remains of my 240DFs. The ENTIRE headphone (not just the faulty left driver) has been completely dismembered, smeared with some greenish discharge, and stuffed in a plastic bodybag. I can't imagine this as the result of someone trying to perform what is supposed to be a relatively simple repair. If you told me AKG repairs were headed by a herd of irritable orangutans, maybe I'd believe it. When I sent them in, they were still somewhat usable, but now in their current state they're completely worthless to me.

Is there any way I can complain to AKG about this and get some sort of compensation, or am I just pretty much screwed since they were no longer under warranty?

Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Sounds like a new one for the books. It almost reeks someone originally working on them and not having a clue of what they were doing. I'm assuming when you said official AKG, you meant authorized repair center.
Maybe after 5 months and elapse of warranty they just thought you would go away. I DON'T THINK SO!

I would scream holy hell and insist upon a replacement pair. One would certainly have to go much higher up the food chain to get satisfaction.

Good luck and let us know.

May 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 54
That stinks. Raise hell at AKG USA first about the situation. Although I suspect you may have to raise the issue with AKG GmBH with the necessary proof (i.e receipt for repair, warranty etc....proof of postage if via registered post....) in order to have any real outcome

May 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 54
this brings back memories of another head-fi member who got his AKG K701 returned in terrible condition by AKG.

May 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this brings back memories of another head-fi member who got his AKG K701 returned in terrible condition by AKG.

Indeed, send a kind email to AKG including some pictures and wait for their reaction first i would say.

May 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 54
from a few threads I've read... AKG makes amazing headphones, but then their service level has dropped a lot since they started.

hopefully nothing happens to my AKG *knocks on wood*

May 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That stinks. Raise hell at AKG USA first about the situation. Although I suspect you may have to raise the issue with AKG GmBH with the necessary proof (i.e receipt for repair, warranty etc....proof of postage if via registered post....) in order to have any real outcome

Contact AKG and give them the chance to do the right thing. I had a similar experience a number of years ago; I had a pair of Spendor SP2s that blew a driver. I removed it and shipped it off to the authorized US repair facility, and waited. And waited. And waited. After several months, I called Spendor in England, and they were clearly horrified. Two weeks later I had a brand new driver to drop into my cabinet.

A reputable company will go out of its way to satisfy a customer in situations like this, but you have to give them the opportunity. Try the US subsidiary first, and then escalate to the next level if necessary. You've obviously gotten a really raw deal here, and I can't believe they will just leave you hanging.

May 22, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 54
some pics

I sent AKG USA an email. I almost don't expect to get a reply and I expect I'll have to start calling and harassing them, but I hope not. The invoice comments from AKG Northridge reads (sic):

One piece of K240 DF studio.
Received in Completely distroy
Needs to be completely Rebuilt? These are very old.

Found in Old Archive (DISCONTINUED.) Obsolete?
Not found in SAP??????????????
Will have reserch to see if we have any of the parts to rebuild this old of model????

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Apparently AKG in Northridge received them from the AKG repair facility in TN in this condition. I suspect this is not true, because Richard Land in TN said he didn't have any parts, so he had to ship them to Northridge. If he knew parts were not available, he wouldn't have dissected the headphones in such a way. I also sent an email to Richard Land as well asking if he really did send them in such a condition, or if the mechanic in AKG Northridge is lying and trying to peg the blame on someone else.

May 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 54
So they literally sent you back the K240DF in pieces?

What is that about?

This was *not a difficult repair. I could do it in 20 minutes. Fitz could do it in 15.

May 22, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

some pics

That is unacceptable! Send the images to the parent co. (Harmon Int.) and on down the line to anyone that works for AKG with an email address. Bad customer service makes me boil. Let them see a copy of this thread. That will leave a bad taste in their mouths.

May 22, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 54
I'm also kinda in awe that the earcups and 1/2 of each cardan joint is still attached to the headband, but the name plates have been removed. Usually you take off the name plates to get at the screw that you remove to separate the headband from the cup and the cardan joint.

Like the incident with the mangled K701, this gives the impression that the 'work' was 'performed' by someone who did not have any idea what they were doing, let alone any experience, and had not so much as glanced at the service manuals that anyone can download from akg.com.

May 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 54
Interesting turn of events...

(from AKG in TN)

I sent the headphones to Northridge just as I received them. I did not even attempt to take them apart since I do not have parts for headphones here, all of the work I do here is on condenser mics and wireless systems. Please contact me by phone to discuss. (phone number removed, please don't call him if you saw that)

Thank you,

Richard Land

...so it turns out the mechanic in CA was probably lying about having received the headphones in that condition.

May 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Interesting turn of events...

(from AKG in TN)

I sent the headphones to Northridge just as I received them. I did not even attempt to take them apart since I do not have parts for headphones here, all of the work I do here is on condenser mics and wireless systems. Please contact me by phone to discuss. {{Phone # deleted by moderator}}

Thank you,

Richard Land

...so it turns out the mechanic in CA was probably lying about having received the headphones in that condition.

Very unprofessional behavior indeed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back