AKG Q701 vs Sennheiser HD598 vs Boss QC 3
May 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ace097

New Head-Fier
Hi! So I'm totally new to the whole audiophile world lol! 
But I'm trying to decide on a pair of headphones, and these three three, the AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD598, and the Boss Quiet Comfort 3 are the ones I've narrowed it down to. 

I've chosen the AKG Q701 and Sennheiser HD598 due to a lot of favorable reviews and positive comments on their sound quality. Based on the minimal research I did, Bose slightly lacks in terms of sound quality, but is unparalleled in their noise-cancellation technology (at least in this price range). I understand that the Boss QC3 is much more expensive than the other two, but someone told me that you don't need to buy an amp for headphones with noise-cancellation (if someone could confirm this, it would be much appreciated). I know about the Boss QC 15 too. I've tried them personally, and though I have yet to try the QC3's, I'm fairly certain I would like them better. 

Just for some more information, I wear glasses. A lot of the times, the headphones I wear (usually really cheap ones) push my glasses up and annoy me. I've tried the Sennheiser HD598's, and they were the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (I think part of it is because they're circumaural?). I'm wondering if anyone would know how comfortable the AKG Q701's and QC3's would be for glasses-wearers. I couldn't seem to find whether these two headphones were circumaural or not (though they are open-back, I think?). Unfortunately, even though I really like this open-back, circumaural design, I also like headphones that isolate noise. I understand that open-back designs aren't capable of doing this, so I was wondering if closed-back headphones can be comfortable as well. If there are any comfortable ones, please tell me which ones! 

Also, I've read countless times that an amp is necessary to maximize the sound quality of the headphones. However, I listen to my music at a REALLY low volume (on my iphone, I'll bring the volume to zero, then just click the volume up button once). Is a portable amp still necessary for better sound? Also, if so, are there any budge portable amps that you'd reccomend? 

Oh and one last thing! xD 
For the breaking-in thing for headphones, will they naturally break in just by normal use for a long time? I don't really care if I don't get their full quality right away, so long as it can be eventually reached. 

Thanks in advance for your help! 
P.S- Just to note, I own IEM's (the Klipsch S4's). I just wanted to move onto full size headphones. 

May 29, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hi! So I'm totally new to the whole audiophile world lol! 
But I'm trying to decide on a pair of headphones, and these three three, the AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD598, and the Boss Quiet Comfort 3 are the ones I've narrowed it down to. 

I've chosen the AKG Q701 and Sennheiser HD598 due to a lot of favorable reviews and positive comments on their sound quality. Based on the minimal research I did, Bose slightly lacks in terms of sound quality, but is unparalleled in their noise-cancellation technology (at least in this price range). I understand that the Boss QC3 is much more expensive than the other two, but someone told me that you don't need to buy an amp for headphones with noise-cancellation (if someone could confirm this, it would be much appreciated). I know about the Boss QC 15 too. I've tried them personally, and though I have yet to try the QC3's, I'm fairly certain I would like them better. 

Just for some more information, I wear glasses. A lot of the times, the headphones I wear (usually really cheap ones) push my glasses up and annoy me. I've tried the Sennheiser HD598's, and they were the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (I think part of it is because they're circumaural?). I'm wondering if anyone would know how comfortable the AKG Q701's and QC3's would be for glasses-wearers. I couldn't seem to find whether these two headphones were circumaural or not (though they are open-back, I think?). Unfortunately, even though I really like this open-back, circumaural design, I also like headphones that isolate noise. I understand that open-back designs aren't capable of doing this, so I was wondering if closed-back headphones can be comfortable as well. If there are any comfortable ones, please tell me which ones! 

Also, I've read countless times that an amp is necessary to maximize the sound quality of the headphones. However, I listen to my music at a REALLY low volume (on my iphone, I'll bring the volume to zero, then just click the volume up button once). Is a portable amp still necessary for better sound? Also, if so, are there any budge portable amps that you'd reccomend? 

Oh and one last thing! xD 
For the breaking-in thing for headphones, will they naturally break in just by normal use for a long time? I don't really care if I don't get their full quality right away, so long as it can be eventually reached. 

Thanks in advance for your help! 
P.S- Just to note, I own IEM's (the Klipsch S4's). I just wanted to move onto full size headphones. 

Both the Q701 and HD-598 are circumaural and cover your ears. The Q710 is OK for those that wear glasses. The HD-598 doesn't require an amp, but does sound a little better with a portable amp. Even an E11 would do.

My suggestion on the Q701 is to NOT buy it unless you're willing to get a desktop amp. The only portable amp that's OK for the Q701 i've tried is the Fiio E11, but only when NOT using a LOD cable. E11 from A Sansa Clip is OK. The Q701 needs the extra power from the portable device. The Total Airhead can also drive them OK. I myself would never buy a Q701 without a desktop amp.

A starter desktop amp for the Q701 is the Fiio E9. Don't let the technical weirdos here tell you it can't drive them. It does and you just have to use the large jack. The 10 ohm output doesn't mess with it's sound. I'm sure there's lots of others that can drive it around the $100-$150 price range. Maybe the Little Dot MK1+.

HD-598 is what I'd suggest if you don't want a desktop amp. It also depends  a lot on what kind of sound signature you want. If you prefer lots of bass, then both of these headphones wouldn't be a good match.

May 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you very much for your help! 
Your opinion has heavily pushed me towards choosing the HD598.

Just wondering, if I were to get the Sennheiser HD598, would an E6 work too? Or would it make little to no difference compared to the E11? 
Hoping to save 40ish dollars :p 

May 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 8
The Q701, HD598 both can drive by iPhone4s and both are very comfy, highly detailed yet offers good bass response(Q701 offers more bass) and it's very close to HD598 in term of soundsignature.

May 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Ahaha sorry for the lack of understanding (as I said previously, I'm a total newbie at this), but does drive by mean that it can play without an amp? 

Yes, but it will sound pretty bad. Getting a Q701 for use without an amp is a big mistake. Better off getting something cheaper if you don't want to deal with an amp.

May 31, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 8
recommendation will either be easy driving K550 or HD598. These two represents best efforts from House of Sennheiser & AKG. Direct will do, or add another portable amp.
Q701 is hifi headphone, much like HD650 really need powerful desktop amp to sing best! Good amps tend to cost thousands of US$ .

May 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Don't scare this guy off man! You're definitely not going to need a multi-thousand amp for the q701. In terms of soundquality, the q701 and hd598 will beat the qc 3 anyday. Off course, the qc 3 will beat the other two in terms of isolation (duh). I would suggest something like the pro-ject headbox s with a usb box s or a o2 +odac combo for an amp and a dac (digital to analog converter, converts usb input into headphone output, for computers). As for the headphones, it depends on the type of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back