AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Feb 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #46 of 427
I dismissed the e9 as being a poor amp (like everyone else) until I had the chance to actually try it with the Q701 at a store near here. I could not believe how good the Q701 sounded paired with the e9. But it is tough to know what's right for you unless you try them out I guess, and especially since people mostly suggest products that they've only read about and not actually auditioned.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #47 of 427
I love my E9. It ain't going anywhere. So much bang for buck performance. I'm a fan of performance. Headfi as a whole has a price=performance mentality, so you won't catch me mingling with that crowd.

If I was to replace the E9 with anything for Mixamp use, it'd definitely be either Objective O2 or the ODA, assuming its not much more expensive, and more versatile with inputs.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #48 of 427

Quote:
If I was to replace the E9 with anything for Mixamp use, it'd definitely be either Objective O2 or the ODA, assuming its not much more expensive, and more versatile with inputs.

Do you know what the ETA on the ODA is?  If the price is right (and it probably will be) I might check it out for poops and giggles...

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #49 of 427
The final plans are supposed to be out this month. I would assume that non-DIYers have to wait until JDS Labs builds them and sells them. Could be a while. I'm just assuming though. Don't know.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #50 of 427
Thanks chicolom for doing this comparison.
k701smile.gif

I've been wondering about this for a while. I have the K701 which I found thin and slightly bright for my preferences. So I borrowed a Q701 with mogami cable (since stock cable was unavailable...hopefully the sound is close enough but I know it's possible that the result could be skewed).

I tested out of an M-Stage as well, which I really liked as a complement to the K701.

The K701 sounded slightly thinner and brighter. In comparison the Q701 sounded more weighted and I found it slighter easier to listen to.

Definitely still a very similar sound signature, but it could make a difference for those who found the K's too bright or thin.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #51 of 427
Color me surprised I was under the impression, from what's been said, they are basically the same.  If its not too much trouble, can yall try blind testing them on yourselves or friends.  Thanks

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #52 of 427
Thanks Chicolom, that's some very useful info.

Given how close these models are, I'm convinced, as Tyll from Innerfidelity is too, that the difference lies in the damping, with a common driver across the 3 models (K70x and Q701). Now that we know the parts are interchangeable, there is room for some tests. And ordering the parts should reveal itself much cheaper than buying a second model :D

Did you see anything inside the headphones that might be different ? anything poping out as physically different ?

The ETA on the ODA is unfortunately unknown for now. Maybe within the first half of 2012, since the DAC seems to be ready. V. has been busy on other projects lately it seems.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #53 of 427

Quote:
Thanks chicolom for doing this comparison.
k701smile.gif

I've been wondering about this for a while. I have the K701 which I found thin and slightly bright for my preferences. So I borrowed a Q701 with mogami cable (since stock cable was unavailable...hopefully the sound is close enough but I know it's possible that the result could be skewed).

The K701 sounded slightly thinner and brighter. In comparison the Q701 sounded more weighted and I found it slighter easier to listen to.  Definitely still a very similar sound signature, but it could make a difference for those who found the K's too bright or thin.

Your welcome, and thanks for chiming in!  Your impressions reaffirm what me and others have said about the differences.
Quote:
Color me surprised I was under the impression, from what's been said, they are basically the same.  If its not too much trouble, can yall try blind testing them on yourselves or friends.  Thanks

Blind testing really isn't necessary.  Trust me - the differences aren't so subtle that you would need to blind test to rule out the effects of sighted testing.  I did have my bro try them both out then I asked him about the bass, and he said the K702 bass sounded normal but the Q701 he said had "almost annoying amounts of bass"   lol
tongue.gif

Quote:
Thanks Chicolom, that's some very useful info.

Given how close these models are, I'm convinced, as Tyll from Innerfidelity is too, that the difference lies in the damping, with a common driver across the 3 models (K70x and Q701). Now that we know the parts are interchangeable, there is room for some tests. And ordering the parts should reveal itself much cheaper than buying a second model :D 

No problem :)   Damping could be definitely be a cause.  You'd have to take your phones apart pretty far to see that though, correct?  I don't know if you can order the damping parts and install them, but isn't it easier to just sell K70x and buy Q's
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #54 of 427

Quote:
Did you see anything inside the headphones that might be different ? anything poping out as physically different ?

Check my first post on the front page, I added some pics of what's under the grill caps.  That's a deep as I went though, these K702 are technically no longer mine.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #55 of 427

Quote:
No problem :)   Damping could be definitely be a cause.  You'd have to take your phones apart pretty far to see that though, correct?  I don't know if you can order the damping parts and install them, but isn't it easier to just sell K70x and buy Q's
wink.gif

Just saw your post with the nice pictures in the other thread. Having seen that, yes, I think that it would be necessary to take out the screws and see what's different inside, but you've done a lot already :wink:

Having 3 different models so close physically and yet differentiated makes no sense, industrially speaking. Simply too costly, and too difficult to produce accurately on the long term without a very thorough selction process. In two words : too costly, for a HP of that price that is. So the difference must be in something that can be added during the assembly process. But what exactly ... 

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #56 of 427
I have no doubt its something that must have been added.

The K701 and Q701 aren't worlds apart in sound. It really does sound like a slight, but completely beneficial tweak somewhere. The added warmth really made a difference in enjoyability though. The K701 was just so dry and analytical for me. The Q, while similar in most aspects, added body to the entirety of the sound. Gave it life, so to speak.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #57 of 427
Only one man knows what's been done.  Only one man can tell us.....

Bald head + headband bumps =
frown.gif

And I don't think I've seen a picture of him yet where he's wearing them with the correct orientation *facepalm*

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #58 of 427

Quote:
I have no doubt its something that must have been added.
The K701 and Q701 aren't worlds apart in sound. It really does sound like a slight, but completely beneficial tweak somewhere. The added warmth really made a difference in enjoyability though. The K701 was just so dry and analytical for me. The Q, while similar in most aspects, added body to the entirety of the sound. Gave it life, so to speak.

I had this idea for about two seconds it could be due to a difference in wire between the Q701 and K702 cables. That'd open up a whole new can of worms and I didn't want to turn it into a cable argument. I think it's common knowledge that a higher capacitance of wire "should" sound slightly warmer. Of course most say with a headphone cable length it won't matter. This would be like the difference between the warmer sounding "Canare" wire and say a Belden that's kind of too bright on the wrong headphone.

I stopped with this stupid idea when I tried using a K240 Studio cable on my q701. Sounded the same..I think. About 95% sure the K240 Studio uses the K702 cable.

Maybe after all this, AKG did really include new drivers. Just kidding...

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #59 of 427
Somehow I doubt he actually knows what's been done. He was probably presented with a few variants, and picked one of the bunch. Then he probably said : "make it lime green and it's a deal".

Unless the secret is to wear them reverse ...

Quote:
Only one man knows what's been done.  Only one man can tell us.....

Bald head + headband bumps =
frown.gif

And I don't think I've seen a picture of him yet where he's wearing them with the correct orientation *facepalm*

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #60 of 427

Quote:
Somehow I doubt he actually knows what's been done. He was probably presented with a few variants, and picked one of the bunch. Then he probably said : "make it lime green and it's a deal".

Unless the secret is to wear them reverse ...

I wonder if he just put them on and people were to afraid to correct him and tell him they're backwards.  I mean the pads are very asymmetrical, not to mention each side of the headband has a "L" and "R" label.  Not sure how he screwed it up.

Uh oh! I think I just found my new avatar
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back