AKG Q701: Are these authentic?
Aug 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ame5051

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I just received a pair of AKG Q701s from Amazon and the box was sealed, and the sticker was intact, usually indications that a box has not previously been opened. I was disheartened though, once I opened the box to find what appears to be dirt on the cable, and many indications of poor quality control such as a lopsided AKG logo and serial number on the phones, slight lint on the pads, and also minor chips in the paint on the 'R' circle on the heaphone. Here are some pictures for reference (native photo uploader won't work). Could these be fake?[/size]

xSPAF.jpg

63Fj6.jpg

AyVS7.jpg

626lg.jpg

W0PUS.jpg

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 8
What, return it ASAP, man, did you get it from 3rd party or amazon itself, give us the name of the vendor so we can get away from this vendor. from your picture it certainly looks fake to me, but I haven't heard any counterfeit of q701, moreover I believe those chinese counterfeit has a higher standard than your q701, meaning they can do a much better job in making the fake product than your q701.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 8
It looks like a used set from Amazon Warehouse or something.

I think you should contact Amazon directly with your concerns and they will definitely make things right. I wouldn't accept those.

In addition, they don't look like a replica pair. Everything matches up as I compare my pair with yours. Stickers are a bit tilted though and mine are all nice and straight.

My advice, return them for another pair!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Sadly, I live in Egypt, and Amazon don't ship headphones here, so I bought them through one of those package forwarding companies that buy things on your behalf from the US. So it'll be the devil's own job getting these back. This really sucks. Also, the vendor name has changed since I bought them and I honestly have no idea what company it was. I also doubt they'd be used as they were shrink-wrapped and with that green sticker intact. This is the main reason I'm worried, because, had they already been opened, I'd understand why they could be dirty.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 8
If everything was sealed, like you said, I'd chalk it up as being a Friday end of the day pair.  If it were easy for you to return them, I'd say do it, but it seems you might just have to live with these cosmetic blemishes.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 8
[size=10pt]Save yourself from headache of sending them back. I ordered two pairs this summer directly from Amazon and they looked exactly the same, dirty cables and all. If you like the sound quality just keep them. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back