AKG new N90Q
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #272 of 380
I travelled with the N90Q for the first time earlier this week, so I got to try the noise cancelling. I didn't buy them because they're noise cancelling, and I don't think of them as noise cancelling because it's so unobtrusive and they sound so good. I think of the noise cancelling as a by-product of the feedback control used to eliminate bass ringing. At the airport I had time to listen to the all the usual noise cancelling headphones, and the N90Q is obviously in a completely different league.

I made a couple of short-haul (2.5 hour) flights, so I had good time to test them. Actually, there isn't much to say - It was just like being at home. The noise cancelling worked exceptionally well. The aircraft noise was reduced to a very low level across the whole frequency range, and I didn't need to increase the volume to compensate. In fact, I initially listened at a much lower level than I might have done at home as I didn't want to disturb the person next to me. I asked if they could hear anything, and they couldn't, so I increased the volume to a moderate level and they still weren't disturbed. It was strange to listen with such good sound quality whilest travelling. One thing I noticed was that as home I don't see much use for the tone control, but in a noisy environment I found that it was more useful - Perhaps it compensated somewhat for the small amount of background noise.

I'm still really impressed with the N90Qs. I recently bought a pair of Denon D7200s, and the only way in which I prefer the Denons is for comfort. The N90Qs, have a much more balanced frequency response, and much better control over the bass.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #273 of 380
my hack coming home from Paris was putting my k3003i inside my qc25, but I'd like to upgrade to a proper high end noise cancelling can.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #274 of 380
my hack coming home from Paris was putting my k3003i inside my qc25, but I'd like to upgrade to a proper high end noise cancelling can.
The N90Qs are high-end headphones which just happen to be noise cancelling. Because of the them I've sold quite a few of my headphones, including things like Focal Elears, T5p.2 and T1.2. Actually, sometimes I think I should get rid of all my other headphones and headphone paraphernalia.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #277 of 380
Dec 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #278 of 380
I haven't dealt with USB C, however I have used them with microUSB on my Nexus. I bought an OTG (On-The-Go) cable and they worked fine. I assume there is a similar cable for USB C...

Happy Holidays,
Hal

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #279 of 380
Dec 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #281 of 380
I haven't found any lightning to microUSB cables. The question is whether N90Q would be able to work out of an iPhone+ without getting the "too much power" error. I've heard it works fine out of iPads, but not out of regular sized iPhones. If the iPhone+ (or iPhone X) were able to meet those power requirements, it would make the N90Q a much more attractive purchase. Limiting myself to my Macs and iPad—and the much inferior aux cable with the iPhone—would certainly be a mark against N90Q in my current state of affairs.

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #282 of 380
I was having the same power issue with my android phone, so I cut the +5 volt lead of the USB cable... that solved the problem. With iPhone you will need the CCK AFAIK. Then, you will need to try the same trick I tried. and see if it works.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #283 of 380
Looks to me like it should. BTW, I ride an unusual bike from your neck of the woods: http://pedersenbicycles.com

Thats funny Hal, a danish bike in the US...Don't know the person or bike - it looks like a crazy bike...Mine are Giant (MTB), Scott (Race)...almost everyone i Denmark ride a bike for transport - specially in the bigger cities - Copenhagen etc. Mine are for sports...Sorry for the off topic.

Happy Holidays

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #284 of 380
I have just bought these amazing headphones from a friend :) and then have a question?

I will primary use the headphones with my phone (OnePlus 3T). The phone has USB C. Is it possible to connect the HP digitally to my Oneplus if i buy a cable like this beetween HP and Oneplus "USB-C to USB micro".

https://www.avxperten.dk/micro-usb-c-kabel/usb-c-kabel-usb-c-usb-b-micro-3m-clicktronic.asp
or
https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-3-1-ot...MIqeD45eab2AIVCLftCh0oGws6EAQYBCABEgJ4J_D_BwE
I use this type of cable, and it works well.

Cable Matters® USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Micro B (Micro USB) Cable with Braided Jacket in Black 1m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UUBRX0Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EatpAbFB1V3F9

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #285 of 380
I haven't found any lightning to microUSB cables. The question is whether N90Q would be able to work out of an iPhone+ without getting the "too much power" error. I've heard it works fine out of iPads, but not out of regular sized iPhones. If the iPhone+ (or iPhone X) were able to meet those power requirements, it would make the N90Q a much more attractive purchase. Limiting myself to my Macs and iPad—and the much inferior aux cable with the iPhone—would certainly be a mark against N90Q in my current state of affairs.

I think I shared this info once a while ago. N90Q is self-powered, but some mobile devices think it uses too much power. To trick devices about the apparent power consumption issue, connect via a USB hub. Even a non-powered hub could work:
ODAC-USB-Hub-768x455.jpg

I personally use a C2G hub for my N90Q, but I think plugable should work too, as shown by JDLabs for their ODAC:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/2014/01/how-to-connect-android-ipad-or-iphone-to-a-dac/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back