AKG new N90Q

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by akgunkie, Jan 6, 2015.
Tags:
  1. bosiemoncrieff
    I imagine boutique analog by definition must be worse than stock USB. You mean boutique USB? How about getting a wyrd?

2. Mark R-S
    I travelled with the N90Q for the first time earlier this week, so I got to try the noise cancelling. I didn't buy them because they're noise cancelling, and I don't think of them as noise cancelling because it's so unobtrusive and they sound so good. I think of the noise cancelling as a by-product of the feedback control used to eliminate bass ringing. At the airport I had time to listen to the all the usual noise cancelling headphones, and the N90Q is obviously in a completely different league.

I made a couple of short-haul (2.5 hour) flights, so I had good time to test them. Actually, there isn't much to say - It was just like being at home. The noise cancelling worked exceptionally well. The aircraft noise was reduced to a very low level across the whole frequency range, and I didn't need to increase the volume to compensate. In fact, I initially listened at a much lower level than I might have done at home as I didn't want to disturb the person next to me. I asked if they could hear anything, and they couldn't, so I increased the volume to a moderate level and they still weren't disturbed. It was strange to listen with such good sound quality whilest travelling. One thing I noticed was that as home I don't see much use for the tone control, but in a noisy environment I found that it was more useful - Perhaps it compensated somewhat for the small amount of background noise.

I'm still really impressed with the N90Qs. I recently bought a pair of Denon D7200s, and the only way in which I prefer the Denons is for comfort. The N90Qs, have a much more balanced frequency response, and much better control over the bass.

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  3. bosiemoncrieff
    my hack coming home from Paris was putting my k3003i inside my qc25, but I'd like to upgrade to a proper high end noise cancelling can.

4. Mark R-S
    The N90Qs are high-end headphones which just happen to be noise cancelling. Because of the them I've sold quite a few of my headphones, including things like Focal Elears, T5p.2 and T1.2. Actually, sometimes I think I should get rid of all my other headphones and headphone paraphernalia.

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  5. bosiemoncrieff
    But toobz! But multibit!

6. Venture Guy
    There is a pair listed in the For Sale Forum...