AKG new N90Q

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by akgunkie, Jan 6, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
  1. bosiemoncrieff
    I imagine boutique analog by definition must be worse than stock USB. You mean boutique USB? How about getting a wyrd?

2. Mark R-S
    I travelled with the N90Q for the first time earlier this week, so I got to try the noise cancelling. I didn't buy them because they're noise cancelling, and I don't think of them as noise cancelling because it's so unobtrusive and they sound so good. I think of the noise cancelling as a by-product of the feedback control used to eliminate bass ringing. At the airport I had time to listen to the all the usual noise cancelling headphones, and the N90Q is obviously in a completely different league.

I made a couple of short-haul (2.5 hour) flights, so I had good time to test them. Actually, there isn't much to say - It was just like being at home. The noise cancelling worked exceptionally well. The aircraft noise was reduced to a very low level across the whole frequency range, and I didn't need to increase the volume to compensate. In fact, I initially listened at a much lower level than I might have done at home as I didn't want to disturb the person next to me. I asked if they could hear anything, and they couldn't, so I increased the volume to a moderate level and they still weren't disturbed. It was strange to listen with such good sound quality whilest travelling. One thing I noticed was that as home I don't see much use for the tone control, but in a noisy environment I found that it was more useful - Perhaps it compensated somewhat for the small amount of background noise.

I'm still really impressed with the N90Qs. I recently bought a pair of Denon D7200s, and the only way in which I prefer the Denons is for comfort. The N90Qs, have a much more balanced frequency response, and much better control over the bass.

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  3. bosiemoncrieff
    my hack coming home from Paris was putting my k3003i inside my qc25, but I'd like to upgrade to a proper high end noise cancelling can.

4. Mark R-S
    The N90Qs are high-end headphones which just happen to be noise cancelling. Because of the them I've sold quite a few of my headphones, including things like Focal Elears, T5p.2 and T1.2. Actually, sometimes I think I should get rid of all my other headphones and headphone paraphernalia.

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  5. bosiemoncrieff
    But toobz! But multibit!

6. Venture Guy
    There is a pair listed in the For Sale Forum...

7. Hoejen79
  8. Venture Guy
    I haven't dealt with USB C, however I have used them with microUSB on my Nexus. I bought an OTG (On-The-Go) cable and they worked fine. I assume there is a similar cable for USB C...

Happy Holidays,
    Hal

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Hoejen79
  10. Venture Guy
  11. bosiemoncrieff
    I haven't found any lightning to microUSB cables. The question is whether N90Q would be able to work out of an iPhone+ without getting the "too much power" error. I've heard it works fine out of iPads, but not out of regular sized iPhones. If the iPhone+ (or iPhone X) were able to meet those power requirements, it would make the N90Q a much more attractive purchase. Limiting myself to my Macs and iPad—and the much inferior aux cable with the iPhone—would certainly be a mark against N90Q in my current state of affairs.

davidmolliere likes this.
  12. Venture Guy
    I was having the same power issue with my android phone, so I cut the +5 volt lead of the USB cable... that solved the problem. With iPhone you will need the CCK AFAIK. Then, you will need to try the same trick I tried. and see if it works.

13. Hoejen79
    Thats funny Hal, a danish bike in the US...Don't know the person or bike - it looks like a crazy bike...Mine are Giant (MTB), Scott (Race)...almost everyone i Denmark ride a bike for transport - specially in the bigger cities - Copenhagen etc. Mine are for sports...Sorry for the off topic.

Happy Holidays

14. Mark R-S
    I use this type of cable, and it works well.

Cable Matters® USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Micro B (Micro USB) Cable with Braided Jacket in Black 1m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UUBRX0Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EatpAbFB1V3F9

15. hotteen
    I think I shared this info once a while ago. N90Q is self-powered, but some mobile devices think it uses too much power. To trick devices about the apparent power consumption issue, connect via a USB hub. Even a non-powered hub could work:
    ODAC-USB-Hub-768x455.jpg

I personally use a C2G hub for my N90Q, but I think plugable should work too, as shown by JDLabs for their ODAC:
    http://blog.jdslabs.com/2014/01/how-to-connect-android-ipad-or-iphone-to-a-dac/

AKGunkie likes this.
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18