AKG N40
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #242 of 311
I think this has happened to me too. Is the Ear Phone Tube not supposed to come away from the ear piece like in the pic I'll attach? I can't seem to get it to stay back in.

Judging from this single photo, it looks to me that the tube has come loose, rather than being broken off. If correct, it should be possible to reattach. I would try to find a pro audio shop or hearing aid service center, they would have the tools and experience to hopefully fix it quickly.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #243 of 311
Cheers, airwhale. This happened to my L one a few days ago and then to my R one today, it's rather perplexing. I've owned them for just over two years now and have used them daily.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #244 of 311
Just to say that my AKG N40 with the Sony Walkman NW-ZX300, for both 3.5 and 4.4 (FiiO LC-4.4c), are an incredible combo. For those who wonder about the difference between 3.5 and 4.4: it is exactly the same, it is not necessary to invest in any expensive cable. The 3.5 output in high gain gives you absolutely wonderful sound quality, even at more than 90 volume.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #245 of 311
When I first got the N40, I was unimpressed with it, mids sounded recessed and I just couldn't get engaged. Left it in the box for a few months.

I then bought the Sony MUC-M12SB1 cable to use with my XBA-N3 and ZX300 and got curious to use it on the N40. The difference it made was incredible, its like I am in the centre of the music. I can which direction the instruments are from. Tested with the Fiio LC4.4C to make sure it wasn't just the balanced output, and it did sound better than the stock cable, but it sounded a bit darker than the MUC-M12SB1.

Using this more than my N3 now. I never really thought a cable can have such a big difference on the sound.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #246 of 311
Funny this thread is bumped. Just saw, half hour ago, since Samsung had taken over AKG, the N40 are now $149.99 which is a more realistic price for them.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #249 of 311
Had a serious scare the other day. I was enjoying music at a vacation resort, totally relaxing. Went for a quick dip in the pool, and when I returned, I found my N40'ies had gone for a dip too! Probably been caught by a gust of wind, due to me failing to place them securely back in their case.

I was able to find a bag of rice (easy enough in Thailand) and kept them in there for 48+ hours. Amazingly, they are back to sounding exactly as good as they always did. I was so not expecting that, and I am very grateful for my good fortune.

So, if you're hanging out by the pool today, secure those IEMs, alright?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #250 of 311
OMG... I've many an earphone that only work with a certain tip to get the best sound for me but none as much as these. With the stock tips these sounded good but a bit overly smooth in mids and bass was a bit wooly. I could see why some people were disappointed having paid decent money. Spinfits helped bring out a bit more definition but a bit cold. Then I used a tip that exposed the grill more and brought speaker closer to the ear.

Wow. The entire soundstage opened up, bass had oomph and depth. Detail is superb. I can feel the weight pressed down on keyboard and drums. Vocals are separated and layered accurately. The whole sound is just more "premium" sounding. It also takes slightly less volume from my sources to sound right. Very musical.

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #251 of 311
OMG... I've many an earphone that only work with a certain tip to get the best sound for me but none as much as these. With the stock tips these sounded good but a bit overly smooth in mids and bass was a bit wooly. I could see why some people were disappointed having paid decent money. Spinfits helped bring out a bit more definition but a bit cold. Then I used a tip that exposed the grill more and brought speaker closer to the ear.

Wow. The entire soundstage opened up, bass had oomph and depth. Detail is superb. I can feel the weight pressed down on keyboard and drums. Vocals are separated and layered accurately. The whole sound is just more "premium" sounding. It also takes slightly less volume from my sources to sound right. Very musical.
This is super true, i changed my tips to my old mee p1 double flange tips with wide bore and omg it opened them up.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #253 of 311
Hey everyone, bumping an oldie here but it appears to be the main thread for these. They are on sale for 99 bucks right now..

Is anyone still using them? Long term thoughts?

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #254 of 311
Yes I still use them once in a while. I like the small form factor and the sound is good. Although lately I'm mainly using my headphones. Drop + Panda on order, curious how it sounds to me.

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #255 of 311
Picked these up on the sale, just showed up today. They sound pretty good out of my micro bl. Still burning in, but their fit is phenomenal, and I have weird ears that can be very easily irritated if they aren't shaped right. I feel good about them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back