AKG N40
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #121 of 311
N40 should be bad on ipod shuffle (I can't really confirm as i dont have or tried shuffle). on the iphone6, n40 sounded bad, thin and hollow highs, bass isn't dynamic (still acceptable level), and low volume level (still loud enough for me, but not my friend). my personal opinion n40 pricing feels slightly premium, sound quality is not really worth it price. it is good if you look at the cable you are getting, as you get 2 very decent cable with it (decent cable usually goes at $80 to 120). So you most probably paying for the cable rather than the sound. great if you are sucker for premium earphone cable.

for me, footstep boom and thud i get them both with semi-opened and closed iem. I can only reduce it by walking slowly and softly (controlled steps).

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #122 of 311
N40 should be bad on ipod shuffle (I can't really confirm as i dont have or tried shuffle). on the iphone6, n40 sounded bad, thin and hollow highs, bass isn't dynamic (still acceptable level), and low volume level (still loud enough for me, but not my friend). my personal opinion n40 pricing feels slightly premium, sound quality is not really worth it price. it is good if you look at the cable you are getting, as you get 2 very decent cable with it (decent cable usually goes at $80 to 120). So you most probably paying for the cable rather than the sound. great if you are sucker for premium earphone cable.

for me, footstep boom and thud i get them both with semi-opened and closed iem. I can only reduce it by walking slowly and softly (controlled steps).

That makes it sound like the N40 would not be any good for me. I might have to stick to my MX500 after all. No good if I can't walk while wearing ear-phones. ... However it doesn't make sense, or everyone would be complaining about footstep thud.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #123 of 311
That makes it sound like the N40 would not be any good for me. I might have to stick to my MX500 after all. No good if I can't walk while wearing ear-phones. ... However it doesn't make sense, or everyone would be complaining about footstep thud.

i think everyone hears it (pure assumption, but i can confirm that i do hear the footstep thump), it just a matter how much and how much it bothers you.

*edit: maybe no one mentions about it as there nothing you can do about it but live with (another assumption).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #124 of 311
Check out the Pioneer CH9T. I like it more than the N40 and it's not source dependent to sound really good.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #125 of 311

Yeah, I am betting the Shuffle is not powerful enough to drive the N40. However it is surprisingly good paired with AKG Y50. ... I keep thinking about buying an LG V30, which is said to have the best phone music audio quality, bar none. It's meant to have a good B&O DAC, plus a strong headphone amplifier. (Leaving other phones to shame.) ... I am always arguing with myself though, about what to buy. Like I also have interest in the new Sony NW-ZX300, which the N40 should pair easily with. Just there is such a shortage of reviews on that new Sony DAP.

Check out the Pioneer CH9T. I like it more than the N40 and it's not source dependent to sound really good.

Not sure. I think I had my heart set on the N40 for its low cable noise, and supposed excellent comfort.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #126 of 311
Yeah, I am betting the Shuffle is not powerful enough to drive the N40. However it is surprisingly good paired with AKG Y50. ... I keep thinking about buying an LG V30, which is said to have the best phone music audio quality, bar none. It's meant to have a good B&O DAC, plus a strong headphone amplifier. (Leaving other phones to shame.) ... I am always arguing with myself though, about what to buy. Like I also have interest in the new Sony NW-ZX300, which the N40 should pair easily with. Just there is such a shortage of reviews on that new Sony DAP.

Not sure. I think I had my heart set on the N40 for its low cable noise, and supposed excellent comfort.
Pioneer is comfortable (I used to use at the gym, no cable noise (I know bc I used at the gym lol), sounds great with all sources

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #128 of 311
Pioneer is comfortable (I used to use at the gym, no cable noise (I know bc I used at the gym lol), sounds great with all sources

Yeah, it does seem odd that the N40 sound bad on only average quality sources. It's half put me off the N40 for a long time. I kept thinking how I can't guarantee what sound source I might end up using them on. Lack of versatility.

However aren't some quality hi-fi speakers the same?

You'd think an iPhone 7 would be good enough though. It's supposed to be close to the iPod touch, which is meant to be very good. Yet What Hi-Fi say the N40 sound flat and treble sounds hard and incessant with e.g iPhone 7.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #129 of 311
I've used the N40 out of my Galaxy S8 before and it was fine just not as dynamic and refined as when using my quality DAPs

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #131 of 311
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #133 of 311
Hi guys, I just got a pair of N40. I saw so many review said that this IEM bass is pretty good. But mine n40 bass seems pretty weak. It's there but not good as my previous rha t20. I'm using it with dp-x1a. Does it too weak to use with this IEM? Btw.. this n40 got a black, white and an orange filter. Am i getting a fake one? :'(. Can anyone clarify me about this? Thank you

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #134 of 311
The filters have a black, grey or white o-ring.
I use the grey reference filter and the bass is very good with that one. It should give a full sound with some delicate oomph

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #135 of 311
Hi guys, I just got a pair of N40. I saw so many review said that this IEM bass is pretty good. But mine n40 bass seems pretty weak. It's there but not good as my previous rha t20. I'm using it with dp-x1a. Does it too weak to use with this IEM? Btw.. this n40 got a black, white and an orange filter. Am i getting a fake one? :'(. Can anyone clarify me about this? Thank you
They don't require power, they require a high quality source. That source is fine, I have the 300R which is pretty much the same DAP.

Please take pics of filters. As stated above there is no orange filter. You may have a fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back