AKG M220 semi-open studio headphones
Aug 22, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #46 of 88

Haven't tried those.

I've owned around 50 headphones now and have reached the point where I'm really only interested in a few ultra-high-end models.

As far as closed studio monitor style headphones go, my favorite is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. Like I mentioned, none of them in my experience are really all that neutral (my neutral reference is the STAX SR-207), but the MT220 (not to be confused with the M220 of this thread...haha) still manages to have an engaging, clear sound that isn't too far away aside from its powerful bass. Oh, and I did put gauze under the pads, which improved the sound and comfort.

Ear-side modifications can help, sure, but I'm talking about stuff like this:

Ear-side mods are last priority.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #47 of 88
  Ear-side modifications can help, sure, but I'm talking about stuff like this:

Ear-side mods are last priority.

Ah, I gotcha. I'd be more inclined towards something like this in that area:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-energy-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #48 of 88

Ah, I gotcha. I'd be more inclined towards something like this in that area:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-energy-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

That's another essential, in my opinion.  I use Dynamat Xtreme.  It solves an issue that fiberfill does not, but does not solve the issues that fiberfill solves.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #49 of 88
I keep going back and forth on whether I should get this or not, haha. I don't have any over-ears except my SZ2000 currently, and I did like the DT990 when I had them, I only got rid of them because someone wanted to trade a synthesizer for it, and I really wanted the synth...

If I get them I will likely do a mod like those posted above to fill out the bass a bit. I know there is no such thing as a bassy AKG.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #50 of 88
  I keep going back and forth on whether I should get this or not, haha. I don't have any over-ears except my SZ2000 currently, and I did like the DT990 when I had them, I only got rid of them because someone wanted to trade a synthesizer for it, and I really wanted the synth...

If I get them I will likely do a mod like those posted above to fill out the bass a bit. I know there is no such thing as a bassy AKG.

My philosophy is, if it's under $500 and you're curious about it, just buy it and see how much you like it. If you get it new, you can return it. If you get it used, you can sell it for the same price you paid, or perhaps trade it. Of course, no one else has to follow my philosophy.
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #51 of 88

My philosophy is, if it's under $500 and you're curious about it, just buy it and see how much you like it. If you get it new, you can return it. If you get it used, you can sell it for the same price you paid, or perhaps trade it. Of course, no one else has to follow my philosophy.
tongue.gif

The problem is that I almost always adhere to this philosophy and my wallet hates me for it! But, you know as well as I do i'll probably join the drop at the last minute...

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #52 of 88
  The problem is that I almost always adhere to this philosophy and my wallet hates me for it! But, you know as well as I do i'll probably join the drop at the last minute...

Which reminds me...you can't return items to Massdrop for a refund. The M220 is also available on Amazon, though.

What I did last year to minimize costs was do things one (or two...or three) headphones at a time, then return, sell, or trade them to try other ones. That way, I had thousands of dollars worth of headphones without spending nearly that much at once.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #53 of 88
Not being able to return to Massdrop is not a huge deal to me. Even when I have the option to return stuff I'll usually go to the classies and try selling/trading them there anyway.

I'm already contemplating what to do for pads if I get these. The Brainwavz pads can be tough with circular shaped headphones to get on as they're a bit oval shaped. Too bad the World's Greatest Pads come from the JVC 55x. Will have to see if I stashed a pair of pads from them somewhere.

I am pretty positive if I get these they will see more use in the studio than anything. I have been using the Monk Plus in the studio a ton but I haven't had a set of over ears for recording in a really long time. Not since I had the DT990. I get the impression these are slightly less bright than the 990, which would be nice, the 990 was too bright for me.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #54 of 88
  ... I know there is no such thing as a bassy AKG.

K181DJ.  I read that its cup arms tend to break, though.  I heard a friend's recently, quite nice sound, and able to throw down with DT1350 and HD25-1, plus it has a bass boost switch if you want even more bass, though you'll sacrifice some control by doing so, unfortunately.

There's also K545 if you use it with Shure SRH750 earpads or something similar.  Then the little rubber cup behind the driver magnet in each cup acts just like a multi-band compressor set to compress bass only in order to even it out, removing it unleashes more bass.  Bass balance isn't anything bad at all afterward, it's just that AKG was after a neutral-ish FR balance with K545 (and K553/550/551).

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #55 of 88
Are there any nice aftermarket XLR to 1/4 cables that fit this model? I am not sure how AKG's wiring goes and wouldn't mind paying for a nice cable.

I had the K81dj and K181dj both way back in the day. I don't think either comes close to the JVCs in terms of bass impact though.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #56 of 88
Unsurprisingly, they are a fraction of the price of SZ2000.

You could try cables meant for Q701, K240, K272, and K702, be it AKG's own, or Double Helix Cables, Moon Audio, Oyaide, and so forth.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #57 of 88
  Unsurprisingly, they are a fraction of the price of SZ2000.

You could try cables meant for Q701, K240, K272, and K702, be it AKG's own, or Double Helix Cables, Moon Audio, Oyaide, and so forth.

Hmm! If k181dj's got a lot cheaper i will definitely look into getting another set. However last I checked they were about 150, which is SZ2000 monies. and even $25 less than SZ1000 monies if you're not an insane basshead.

Good call, I did not realize that AKG had their own mini XLR cable wiring pattern, I'll definitely look into those solutions. If they have a definite standard wiring protocol, i'll happily make myself a cable before they even get here
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know how long massdrop is supposed to take, the Monk Plus drop was my first one, and that is awaiting shipment still, but i can't imagine it doesn't take a few days to get 6k monks put together.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #58 of 88
  I know there is no such thing as a bassy AKG.

K518, K81, K181 etc. And of course bassportmoded K7##. As for vintage, that statement is quite true, except K290.

I'm already contemplating what to do for pads if I get these.

As for velour, EDT-990VB or EDT-T1V (or their newer version with greater bass potential). EDT-990V you can observe in my review. Links were posted on previous pages.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #59 of 88

Hmm! If k181dj's got a lot cheaper i will definitely look into getting another set. However last I checked they were about 150, which is SZ2000 monies. and even $25 less than SZ1000 monies if you're not an insane basshead.

Good call, I did not realize that AKG had their own mini XLR cable wiring pattern, I'll definitely look into those solutions. If they have a definite standard wiring protocol, i'll happily make myself a cable before they even get here
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know how long massdrop is supposed to take, the Monk Plus drop was my first one, and that is awaiting shipment still, but i can't imagine it doesn't take a few days to get 6k monks put together.

K181 goes for $80 on Massdrop, $99 on Amazon.

If you want to build your own cable, you can google up the wiring pattern, it is noted in many places.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #60 of 88

K518, K81, K181 etc. And of course bassportmoded K7##. As for vintage, that statement is quite true, except K290.

As for velour, EDT-990VB or EDT-T1V (or their newer version with greater bass potential). EDT-990V you can observe in my review. Links were posted on previous pages.

Thanks a lot for this, I did read the comments on previous pages but was about to look into which of all has greatest bass potential. I may have some of my favorite JVC 55x pads hidden away somewhere. I will have to see if i still have them. Hopefully they fit.

I am pretty excited for the M220s to show up.

I had K290 many many years ago. I think I ebayed them many years ago, or sold them at a head-fi meet.

IMO Massdrop deserves to give me a discount on my M220 for bringing this thread back to life and surely helping with a couple of their sales :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back