AKG M220 semi-open studio headphones
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #32 of 88
Thnx. Although not high-end ES, but I can assure you that for example SRS-3030 or 3050 are huge step-ups over M220. Much more clarity and extension, as well as more holographic and 3D-like spherical soundstage with very intimate, direct midrange. But I think those two headphones (ES and M220) are highly unrelated to each other (no matter which model of STAX you'll buy) as none of them is inferior for the other one. You will never get this level of sound quality from M220 but at the same time not so much of durability and ergonomics from ES. That is why M220 can perform supporting roles in many collections, at least in my opinion based on practical experience with my own setups containing both planar magnetic and electrostatic solutions as main gear.

I bought AKGs myself partly from pure curiosity, partly as cheap semi-open pair for electronic music for work in my office. K2xx models are solid and reliable in terms of sonic performance and even if in mid-fi class, still can be very useful piece of equipment.

For any new owner of these headphones I strongly recommend to try Beyerdynamic silver velour pads, EDT990V. You'll be heavily surprised how M220 can mix sound signatures of Q701 and DT990 together in such configuration, of course still being in mid-fi class. Highs are getting much more open, soundstage is increasing and bass is less mid-oriented than before. Still there is a margin for changes, but this headphones has serious potential and shouldn't be underestimated. For me M220 are the best K2xx model in current production.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #33 of 88
  Thnx. Although not high-end ES, but I can assure you that for example SRS-3030 or 3050 are huge step-ups over M220. Much more clarity and extension, as well as more holographic and 3D-like spherical soundstage with very intimate, direct midrange. But I think those two headphones (ES and M220) are highly unrelated to each other (no matter which model of STAX you'll buy) as none of them is inferior for the other one. You will never get this level of sound quality from M220 but at the same time not so much of durability and ergonomics from ES. That is why M220 can perform supporting roles in many collections, at least in my opinion based on practical experience with my own setups containing both planar magnetic and electrostatic solutions as main gear.

I owned a STAX SR-207 and SR-30 in the past. Really loved 'em, but want to go for the SR-009 now. The M220 is in my "collect someday" list. On a related note, my favorite closed headphone is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. Very similar name.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #34 of 88
I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with SR-009 if you prefer honest and precise sound. I would suggest to look for vintage AKGs like DF or Monitor instead. They can be obtained for about the same price as M220 and with more sonic value (as for vintage headphones). The main reason is construction of whole sound - very correct and in some ways similar to STAX, especially midrange. 

I've heard about MT220 and as for closed headphones they are indeed quite good pair of headphones.

EDIT: review is here: http://www.audiofanatyk.pl/recenzja-sluchawek-akg-m220-pro/

Link for Google Translate:
https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiofanatyk.pl%2Frecenzja-sluchawek-akg-m220-pro%2F&edit-text=

It is quite far from perfect translation since polish language is quite difficult for work to begin with, but I hope the clou will be understandable enough. The review is actually mix of two separated reviews. One for stock pads and the second for Beyer pads and additional small teaks like cloth under original foam net pads. The sound of this headphones is probably one of the very best from all modern K2 variants in terms of potential for acoustic modifications.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #35 of 88
I gifted my K240 Studio after getting a Sextett but now kinda want one again. The m220 is tempting... Maybe after I get a mid-fi Senn.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #36 of 88
I've had very similar sounding K240 MKII and to my ears M220 are better sounding headphones than those two. More linear treble response and positive reactions for velour ear pads can do the trick quite nicely. I've been using M220 PRO with EDT990V + Aune X1S since the review in my office with great sonic success.

May 11, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #37 of 88
I'm looking for a Father's Day gift. My dad specifically needs a headphone to use for music (classic rock, R&B without the rap, some 90's music) and watching Basketball in his little man-cave which is a door-less alcove around the corner from his bedroom. Apparently, my Stepmom can hear his Grado SR-60 I bought him before when she tries to sleep.

How "impressive" is the isolation and, more importantly, lack of audio "leak" for my stepmom? If not this model, I would appreciate sub-$80 recommendations for my dad's situation. Thanks everybody!

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #38 of 88
These are back on Massdrop for $50 ( https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-m220-semi-open-studio-headphones?referer=DHAHHZ ). Can anyone compare these to Beyer DT 990 Pro 250s? I'm not sure I qualify as a basshead, but I like bass to be strong and clean.  M220 reviews seem to be pretty sparse!

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #39 of 88
Don't see much activity about these. Noticed them on Massdrop and was curious because of the low price and resemblance the K240. I always liked the K240 but thought it sold for way too much $ for what it was. Anyone got one?

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #40 of 88
I bought them a year ago from the first drop.  I didn't like them.  Stuffy sounding, mids and vocals recessed.  Not too much bass.  They did sound a little better on my M-Stage since the M-Stage is more forward sounding so it brought out the mids some.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #41 of 88
  These are back on Massdrop for $50 ( https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-m220-semi-open-studio-headphones?referer=DHAHHZ ). Can anyone compare these to Beyer DT 990 Pro 250s? I'm not sure I qualify as a basshead, but I like bass to be strong and clean.  M220 reviews seem to be pretty sparse!

Sound quality wise, M220 PRO are just a tad under the DT990 PRO when properly driven and steer. 

Don't see much activity about these. Noticed them on Massdrop and was curious because of the low price and resemblance the K240. I always liked the K240 but thought it sold for way too much $ for what it was. Anyone got one?

https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiofanatyk.pl%2Frecenzja-sluchawek-akg-m220-pro%2F&edit-text=

I bought them a year ago from the first drop.  I didn't like them.  Stuffy sounding, mids and vocals recessed.  Not too much bass.  They did sound a little better on my M-Stage since the M-Stage is more forward sounding so it brought out the mids some.

Try different ear pads. M220 can really outshine many mid-fi headphones this way. I'm surprised though, M220 had quite juicy lower registers on stock ear pads. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #44 of 88
  I've pretty much given up on trying to find a truly accurate studio monitor headphone. They all have problems in the frequency response. Thankfully, studios tend to rely on speakers and just use headphones as a second opinion. Since the M220 is so affordable, I would probably be less picky about its sound than, say, a studio monitor headphone that costs hundreds. And of course, equalization is a convenient (and essential) solution to many of these issues.

Tried the M-Audio HDH50/Akai MPC/Denon HP2000?  I think it gets close enough.
All closed-backs have issues with cup resonances/reflections to some degree or another, too, so adding acoustic foam and/or polyester fiberfill in the cups is a modification I recommend.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 88
  Tried the M-Audio HDH50/Akai MPC/Denon HP2000?  I think it gets close enough.
All closed-backs have issues with cup resonances/reflections to some degree or another, too, so adding acoustic foam and/or polyester fiberfill in the cups is a modification I recommend.

Haven't tried those.

I've owned around 50 headphones now and have reached the point where I'm really only interested in a few ultra-high-end models.

As far as closed studio monitor style headphones go, my favorite is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. Like I mentioned, none of them in my experience are really all that neutral (my neutral reference is the STAX SR-207), but the MT220 (not to be confused with the M220 of this thread...haha) still manages to have an engaging, clear sound that isn't too far away aside from its powerful bass. Oh, and I did put gauze under the pads, which improved the sound and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back