AKG M220 semi-open studio headphones
Dec 19, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #77 of 88
  Got mine, they're really comfortable and I can wear them for ages, just what I was looking for :)

HHKowwA.jpg

Where did you get yours from? Mine have vinyl earpads D:

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #82 of 88
Bought mine on Massdrop today. Chickened out and went Satin Black instead of Red or Blue.
Got them yesterday. Initially impressed. Will spend more time with them through the weekend. Did some quick listening and swaps between my K601 and the M220. Mostly rock and pop music. Will report more after I've played with them a bit more. Will have my 10-yr old listen to them - he's got really good ears and likes music (violin and piano player, but, like many youngsters, a basshead).

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #83 of 88
Got them yesterday. Initially impressed. Will spend more time with them through the weekend. Did some quick listening and swaps between my K601 and the M220. Mostly rock and pop music. Will report more after I've played with them a bit more. Will have my 10-yr old listen to them - he's got really good ears and likes music (violin and piano player, but, like many youngsters, a basshead).
any feedback yet on the m220 and comparisons? im getting mine thursday from the recent mass drop

May 4, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #84 of 88
Hey, new M220 owner here. My AKG 240 Studios fell apart (ear cups), so I replaced them with an all-black pair of M220's. But I did not buy from Massdrop directly, I purchased from Amazon new. However, the box indicates they are Massdrop branded.

Anyway, I find them to be an upgrade over the AKG 240 studio in a couple ways: First, they don't clamp as bad. Second, the pleather earpads seem less plasticky than the 240 Studios. In terms of sound, they seem *slightly* more airy and transparent.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #85 of 88
Hey, new M220 owner here. My AKG 240 Studios fell apart (ear cups), so I replaced them with an all-black pair of M220's. But I did not buy from Massdrop directly, I purchased from Amazon new. However, the box indicates they are Massdrop branded.

Anyway, I find them to be an upgrade over the AKG 240 studio in a couple ways: First, they don't clamp as bad. Second, the pleather earpads seem less plasticky than the 240 Studios. In terms of sound, they seem *slightly* more airy and transparent.
Hi, thanks for the post. I got mine a couple weeks ago. They are awesome. I also got my M 220s because the earpads on my k240 S were cracked but mine still work fine. My k240 S are older Austrian ones. I think they sounded almost identical. The 240s are slightly better but I realize that the ear pads are thinner because they are worn which brings the drivers closer to my ears And when I press down on the 220 pads they sound identical.

May 4, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #86 of 88
any feedback yet on the m220 and comparisons? im getting mine thursday from the recent mass drop

Here are some notes I've made over the past 12 weeks:

Entry 1: These are pretty close to my venerable K601 in sound, but with more upper bass. It isn't as refined as the K601 - bass is less tight (but not bloated or too sloppy), mids a bit more forward, and slightly more sparkle in the highs. Because of the bump in the upper bass area, I wouldn't consider them too neutral, but they aren't bad. The materials are different, feeling less substantial and cheaper (as one would expect). Still, this is a very nice everyday headphone that is suitable for long listening sessions. I am interested in replacing the stock earpads with either velour, or a nicer leather. Headphone hunters in this range should audition this and the Grado SR-60e. I've never heard anything as good as this M220 or the SR-60e in the $50-$75 price range. So far, so good!

Entry 2: OK. I've spent more time with these, and I still enjoy the sound. I've decided that a worthy upgrade would be to swap out the faux leather earpads for some velour earpads from AKG. As soon as it got over 70F at home, I noticed the pads getting a little warmer on my head than I like. It isn't bad, but spending ~US$30 for upgraded pads on a headphone I enjoy isn't crazy. It puts a dent in the value proposition, but US$79.99 spent for these things is too bad at all. My only fear is that switching to velour pads from faux leather may change the sound signature. I related in an earlier post how switching from velour pads to sheepskin on my DT-880 negatively changed how they sounded. I'll cross my fingers...

Entry 3: After doing a lot more listenting, the gap between the M220 and K601 becomes more obvious. Of course, the K601 is head and shoulders above the M220, but the M220 is still a decent headphone for the price. At higher volume levels the difference in bass is clear. The M220 starts to lose control and the bass gets a little muddier. The K601 handles things with ease. This happens up and down the spectrum - M220 just not as tight and refined as the K601 - why should it be? It is at least 1/4 the cost of the K601. Still a good buy, though. Won't cry if any of my kids pull the sponge covering the driver apart (like one did to my DT770/80 Pros).

Entry 4: I spent $79.99 on these things (headphones + new ear pads). These are nice, light headphones that have a neutral presentation. They aren't terribly resolving, the bass tends to get sloppy at higher volumes, and when pushed hard volume-wise, they sound less-full, less resolving, and slightly "plasticky" compared to higher-priced headphones - and even low-end Grados. Turn the volume up, and it sounds as though dynamic range is shrinking with each increase in dB. They aren't as fatiguing as Grados, so those who are treble-sensitive should take note.
I use these infrequently, and only when I'm someplace my headphones may be at environmental risk. They aren't that portable due to their size, so I won't be tossing them in a bag and bringing them to work - ever. TBH, I have them around in case one of my kids or my wife needs a full-sized, open-backed headphone. In other words, I have them in the event something with a 1:100,000 chance occurs. But hey, at least I'll never be put in a position where I have to loan out one of my nicer headphones, right?

May 4, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #87 of 88
Here are some notes I've made over the past 12 weeks:

Entry 1: These are pretty close to my venerable K601 in sound, but with more upper bass. It isn't as refined as the K601 - bass is less tight (but not bloated or too sloppy), mids a bit more forward, and slightly more sparkle in the highs. Because of the bump in the upper bass area, I wouldn't consider them too neutral, but they aren't bad. The materials are different, feeling less substantial and cheaper (as one would expect). Still, this is a very nice everyday headphone that is suitable for long listening sessions. I am interested in replacing the stock earpads with either velour, or a nicer leather. Headphone hunters in this range should audition this and the Grado SR-60e. I've never heard anything as good as this M220 or the SR-60e in the $50-$75 price range. So far, so good!

Entry 2: OK. I've spent more time with these, and I still enjoy the sound. I've decided that a worthy upgrade would be to swap out the faux leather earpads for some velour earpads from AKG. As soon as it got over 70F at home, I noticed the pads getting a little warmer on my head than I like. It isn't bad, but spending ~US$30 for upgraded pads on a headphone I enjoy isn't crazy. It puts a dent in the value proposition, but US$79.99 spent for these things is too bad at all. My only fear is that switching to velour pads from faux leather may change the sound signature. I related in an earlier post how switching from velour pads to sheepskin on my DT-880 negatively changed how they sounded. I'll cross my fingers...

Entry 3: After doing a lot more listenting, the gap between the M220 and K601 becomes more obvious. Of course, the K601 is head and shoulders above the M220, but the M220 is still a decent headphone for the price. At higher volume levels the difference in bass is clear. The M220 starts to lose control and the bass gets a little muddier. The K601 handles things with ease. This happens up and down the spectrum - M220 just not as tight and refined as the K601 - why should it be? It is at least 1/4 the cost of the K601. Still a good buy, though. Won't cry if any of my kids pull the sponge covering the driver apart (like one did to my DT770/80 Pros).

Entry 4: I spent $79.99 on these things (headphones + new ear pads). These are nice, light headphones that have a neutral presentation. They aren't terribly resolving, the bass tends to get sloppy at higher volumes, and when pushed hard volume-wise, they sound less-full, less resolving, and slightly "plasticky" compared to higher-priced headphones - and even low-end Grados. Turn the volume up, and it sounds as though dynamic range is shrinking with each increase in dB. They aren't as fatiguing as Grados, so those who are treble-sensitive should take note.
I use these infrequently, and only when I'm someplace my headphones may be at environmental risk. They aren't that portable due to their size, so I won't be tossing them in a bag and bringing them to work - ever. TBH, I have them around in case one of my kids or my wife needs a full-sized, open-backed headphone. In other words, I have them in the event something with a 1:100,000 chance occurs. But hey, at least I'll never be put in a position where I have to loan out one of my nicer headphones, right?
i got the same impressions you did in your K601 comparison when comparing my MS220 and my K240 (these two sound the same) vs. my K702. yes 702 is more detailed, extended and refined, makes sense, but also a different sound signature esp between mid bass and low mids. after A//B ing a lot. lately ive been just listening to a single set of headphones for a whole day and just enjoying them. last time i put on the K240, i really enjoyed them. i would like to change my earpads on my K240 also since mine are very old (austrian).. i sold my M220 pair to a good musician friend because they sound the same as the K240 and i can always get another pair if i need , and i seem to be accumulating headphones. within the last month adding an early K702, a Senn HD430 ( early 80's, my favorite, most natural sounding ), IEMs, and Samson SR850 (still burning them in, they sound surprisingly very good, but sibilant at first, very cheap build and earpads ). the m220 didnt need any burn in.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #88 of 88
Hi, thanks for the post. I got mine a couple weeks ago. They are awesome. I also got my M 220s because the earpads on my k240 S were cracked but mine still work fine. My k240 S are older Austrian ones. I think they sounded almost identical. The 240s are slightly better but I realize that the ear pads are thinner because they are worn which brings the drivers closer to my ears And when I press down on the 220 pads they sound identical.

Nice! I'm noticing my new M220's are sounding better the more I use them. Similar to the "burn in" from the 240 Studios. I stress test headphones with King Crimson and Pink Floyd, with a dash of Kendrick. Crimson really seems to tear off in all directions, with smooth yet abrasive textures in their music. "Red" is really good. For Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here" (the album).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back