AKG K812 Pro
Sep 2, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #4,786 of 4,825
I love my Akg K501 so i think i would enjoy the K812 Pro.

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #4,788 of 4,825
Does anyone have a link to the balanced cable mod? Thank you
I wouldn't bother, personally. They sound excellent as is. Buy a better headphone amplifier/DAC unit instead. Currently using a Merging Anubis, but the Neumann MT48 would be very similar and easier to connect.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #4,789 of 4,825
Has anyone done the balanced cable mods themselves?

1. I've located a source for the lemon 4-pin connectors but I'm unsure on how to remove the female connector from the housing. I've seen a video but for 712pro which may apply? (Basically heating the connector until it separates from the plastic)

2. Also I've read the phones uses ribbon cables which I think looks like this? How easy is it to replace this ribbon cables with a twisted pair. Seems fairly easy?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926_010209_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_010209_Chrome.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #4,790 of 4,825
Sounds like not.a.good.idea (c) to me…
The K812 doesn’t need the additional power of a balanced amp. Touching the cup mounts will most probably destroy the cardan movement… for no gain. I’d just use it as is.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #4,791 of 4,825
Sounds like not.a.good.idea (c) to me…
The K812 doesn’t need the additional power of a balanced amp. Touching the cup mounts will most probably destroy the cardan movement… for no gain. I’d just use it as is.
I certainly wouldn't want to risk destroying the beauty and function of this headphone for trying to get it to play balanced. Maybe he should have a look and listen to the Austrian Audio Composer that is just about to be released. Balanced connections possible and same designers as the AKG K812

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #4,792 of 4,825
Sounds like not.a.good.idea (c) to me
to you. But I like DIY.

still looking for answers/ideas. Thanks

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #4,793 of 4,825
I certainly wouldn't want to risk destroying the beauty and function of this headphone for trying to get it to play balanced. Maybe he should have a look and listen to the Austrian Audio Composer that is just about to be released. Balanced connections possible and same designers as the AKG K812
not to be rude but you've already (more than a week ago) stated that DIYing these phones is not your thing. And that's ok.

I don't see a point of repeating it.

And stating a new phones designed by the same people who designed the K812 seems meaningless in this context. A design team normally designs many many models at different price point (car analogy). It does not mean the new model will be the same/similar as a previous model.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #4,794 of 4,825
to you. But I like DIY.

still looking for answers/ideas. Thanks
I don’t think the K812 lends itself well to DIY, but feel free… it’s yours after all.
I know manning the people involved with creating the K812 personally, and they had some good points against balanced mods from a pure hardware perspective. You’ll find out I guess. Good luck.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #4,795 of 4,825
does anyone know the pad dimensions (inner/outer diameter)? (I don't have the phones yet so I cannot check myself)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,796 of 4,825
not to be rude but you've already (more than a week ago) stated that DIYing these phones is not your thing. And that's ok.

I don't see a point of repeating it.

And stating a new phones designed by the same people who designed the K812 seems meaningless in this context. A design team normally designs many many models at different price point (car analogy). It does not mean the new model will be the same/similar as a previous model.
Cool man - go for it!

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #4,797 of 4,825
Also I've read the phones uses ribbon cables which I think looks like this? How easy is it to replace this ribbon cables with a twisted pair. Seems fairly easy?
As far as I know, it is impossible to replace the ribbon cable with a normal one without ruining the look of the headphones. That flat cable runs all the way inside the headband, including the inner side of that metal ring outside the cup. There is simply not enough space to put a normal cable. If you want to replace it, you'll have to run it outside the headband, which will look horrible. You can see some of the inner working in this video.

With regard to replacing the connector, as others have already said, it is quite difficult to do. There are a few companies and people who do that. Here is one post that can be useful to you - https://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_617.html You can probably write to that guy and ask his advice.
DeepL translation (not exactly correct, but still):
This model of headphones with factory soldered speakers - specially "mixed up" polarity - i.e. in fact, the membrane of the speaker works inward, not outward (you can check this with a test with an ordinary battery).

In this case, the phasing of the headphones remains correct, but the character of the sound changes - if the speakers were soldered correctly.

The wiring of the speakers themselves has a color indication - red wire is "plus", white - "minus", but when soldered they are soldered the other way around!

If you make Modification of headphones for Balance - then the cable itself can be soldered with the correct phasing or with an adapter to change the polarity of the speakers!

In the factory version without Mod - this can only be done by disassembling the headphones and directly soldering the polarity of the speakers as needed ...

The Modification itself under the Balance (quite difficult and jewelry work for this model of headphones, especially given the tape wiring of copper on the headband and replacement of the socket in the headphones):

Replacing the original Lemo 3 pin socket with a Lemo 4 pin socket with Balance (separate ground).

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #4,798 of 4,825
As far as I know, it is impossible to replace the ribbon cable with a normal one without ruining the look of the headphones. That flat cable runs all the way inside the headband, including the inner side of that metal ring outside the cup. There is simply not enough space to put a normal cable. If you want to replace it, you'll have to run it outside the headband, which will look horrible. You can see some of the inner working in this video.

With regard to replacing the connector, as others have already said, it is quite difficult to do. There are a few companies and people who do that. Here is one post that can be useful to you - https://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_617.html You can probably write to that guy and ask his advice.
DeepL translation (not exactly correct, but still):

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back