AKG K812 Pro
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #4,351 of 4,832
I have the K7xx, which is very similar to the K712.

Roberto

..i did many things with my k 712:

- changed the Foam from 702 to 712, too
- made biwireing
- changed earpads
- a lot of experiments with different foams

At the end: playing more in the foreground but at the end muddy!
I cant stand it to buy a product which includes to DIY...bad job AKG.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #4,353 of 4,832

..thx for reply.
I am really in hope!
Does the K 702 has more or less treble versus K 812? Hm, maybe they are not comparable?!

K812, K872 are another league over!
K702 (K701, Q701, K712) have lesser treble than K812 for me.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #4,354 of 4,832
Secondly, the ear pads are horrible, they make the bass bloated, while at the same time veiling the mids and highs too much. I have replaced them with Dekoni ear pads - the perforated lambskin type - that made the bass much tighter but also a bit lighter.
K712 - Make a test, use angled K701 pads and listen!

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,358 of 4,832
Dec 30, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,359 of 4,832
@K 240 DF

Well you know...
No matter how you make things, someone might come and say you've done it wrong.

For some reason Tyll is kind of blamed for the reputation of the AKG K812 but if you read his review you'll find many good things like these:

Source: Innerfidelity
Let's start with the good stuff: In a lot of ways I find the AKG K812 a fantastically balanced headphone with a great sense of space. The sound is a wide-open, coherent whole. I don't like to use the word "PRaT" (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing), but these cans have it. When I compare them directly to the HD 800, I feel the K812 more juicy and involving.

The AKG K812 is a marvelously musical headphone for small acoustic ensembles...

Audeze planar magnetic headphones do deliver tighter bass and more punch, but they sound closed in when compared to the extraordinarily open and spacious sound of the K812 or HD 800.

The open, spacious, musical presentation of the AKG K812 is truly world-class with music that has a simple, mellow treble.

Many will perceive them as simply highly detailed, and many will disagree with my take by putting more weight on the beautifully musical and spacious aspects of the K812.

Good reviews should always be taken in context of the reviewer's personal preferences.
Most of us know Tyll has a preference for warm and relatively soft sounding headphones, and the AKG K812 is pretty much in the opposite direction.

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4,361 of 4,832
...good point, good level :)

I respect others' opinions. I will do my own testing to confirm whether or not I will adopt said opinion into my brain's stable of opinions. Blind faith or rapid agreement is folly.

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4,362 of 4,832
@K 240 DF

Well you know...
No matter how you make things, someone might come and say you've done it wrong.

For some reason Tyll is kind of blamed for the reputation of the AKG K812 but if you read his review you'll find many good things like these:

Source: Innerfidelity

Good reviews should always be taken in context of the reviewer's personal preferences.
Most of us know Tyll has a preference for warm and relatively soft sounding headphones, and the AKG K812 is pretty much in the opposite direction.

Hi Me x3,

thx for that summary. Hm, when he is a Softer, so why does he not point out that fact? He makes the thing very unclear...and people like me are maximum confused.

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #4,363 of 4,832
Hi Me x3,

thx for that summary. Hm, when he is a Softer, so why does he not point out that fact? He makes the thing very unclear...and people like me are maximum confused.

Confusion is a way of life in this hobby. LOL

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,365 of 4,832
..ok, also LOL. We will see next week, when i put these nice cans on :)
I hope that Confusion will stop immediately for a long long time :))

I really like the AKG K812 on Questyle QP1R and Lotoo Paw Gold Diana. Great big soundstage with great detail and liveliness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back