AKG K812 Pro
Oct 23, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,736 of 4,825

Perhaps it has to do with the music files you're listening to, or some settings in your operating system?  As for gain, I'd let my ears be the judge, although the K812 has low impedance so I wouldn't expect it to need high gain.

Maybe? I'm not sure. Like I said I only listen to Google Play music and for the most part, it sounds pretty good (I hear way more details than I ever have before with headphones, like the artists saliva and tongue in their mouth between words!). If I listen hard I can hear some artifacting from either the .mp3 quality (320 kbps) or mastering issues. Just tiny bits of distortion on some of the higher frequencies from what it seems. I haven't tried it in a game yet which I'm sure has higher quality audio (Titanfall's audio was insanely dense). But for the $300 I paid, I'm not impressed and feel like maybe I should just stick with my soundcard. Maybe my ears just aren't that sensitive, maybe it's the tinnitus I have, or maybe the sound card is doing a great job despite everything working against it.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,737 of 4,825
Played a bit of Battlefield 4 swapping back and forth, and still no noticeable difference between the stack and my Essence STX. I actually prefer the STX because I have access to EQ and Dolby headphone if I choose. Could it be because my soundcard is still hooked up? I don't see why that would effect an entirely different output, and I really don't want to try to take it out unless I know for sure. On-board audio is disabled in BIOS.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #3,738 of 4,825
  Played a bit of Battlefield 4 swapping back and forth, and still no noticeable difference between the stack and my Essence STX. I actually prefer the STX because I have access to EQ and Dolby headphone if I choose. Could it be because my soundcard is still hooked up? I don't see why that would effect an entirely different output, and I really don't want to try to take it out unless I know for sure. On-board audio is disabled in BIOS.

Try disabling all "audio enhancements" in windows, you're running the uber stack from USB right?

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,739 of 4,825
  Try disabling all "audio enhancements" in windows, you're running the uber stack from USB right?

^ This, disable sound card features when listening to music and set Windows sound to stereo.  If you want EQ, try parametric equalization instead via a program like Equalizer APO.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #3,740 of 4,825

I didn't have disable all checked, but no enhancements were checked regardless. Will try and see if that makes a difference.

^ This, disable sound card features when listening to music and set Windows sound to stereo.  If you want EQ, try parametric equalization instead via a program like Equalizer APO.

No sound card features were enabled, and they shouldn't affect an entirely different output device. Sound has been set to stereo for both and 24/92 the entire time.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,741 of 4,825
  I didn't have disable all checked, but no enhancements were checked regardless. Will try and see if that makes a difference.

No sound card features were enabled, and they shouldn't affect an entirely different output device. Sound has been set to stereo for both and 24/92 the entire time.

Yeah the sound card will only affect the other advice if they're connected.  I didn't see if you were using USB or connecting the sound card to it.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #3,743 of 4,825
  I currently have a pair of Shure 1840's. I'm torn between the T-1, Hd 800, and K812. In all honesty would buying another headphone be worth it to upgrade ? I really enjoy the 1840. Leaning toward K812's.

It depends on how much you use headphones, and the kind of source gear/amplification you have.  As for the T1 vs HD 800 vs K812, you should read these if you haven't.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745213/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-part-deux-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-akg-k812

Although it's definitely worth pointing out that the reviewer was using an OTL tube amp for all of those headphones, which is not ideal for the low impedance K812.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #3,744 of 4,825
First 24 hours owner of K812 (used). If anyone was going nuts like I was over the K812 bass bloat, it's fixed. I did not read the whole thread so apologies if this was already commented upon.

How to resolve bass bloat:
1. Take off the pads. Rotate slightly to come off.
2. Identify the fat lip labelled "Sound Sealing".
3. Reinstall the pads back with the fat lip one or two positions upwards. Looking at the pad that's about 11am (L) or 1pm (R). There should be a slight gap between the pad and the frame. That's fine - this helps with reducing bloating. You can test this by trying to achieve a semi-seal with your unmodded K812. Interestingly this is similar to the Abyss - which achieve the best bass quality imo, with a semi-seal.
4. The bass bloat is gone. Yes - it is that simple.

Now you can enjoy closer to reference bass response which is more within the performance limitations of the driver and not a fake bloated bass. All imo. Enjoy!

Hopefully a few more tricks to come in the coming days. We need to do something with the treble, without compromising the excellent imaging and clarity, and I have a few ideas.

I'm loving the midrange, staging, imaging, resolution and transient response. These headphones are underrated.

Rig used:
Eddie Current 2A3MK4
MSB Signature V stack
Toxic Cables Black Widow K812 cables

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,746 of 4,825
I currently have a pair of Shure 1840's. I'm torn between the T-1, Hd 800, and K812. In all honesty would buying another headphone be worth it to upgrade ? I really enjoy the 1840. Leaning toward K812's.

I also own a Shure SRH 1840. The Sennheiser HD800 is clealy the king. The biggest difference is that the HD800 is distortion and grain free. A super clear and clean sound that I omly have heard from IEM's.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,747 of 4,825
First 24 hours owner of K812 (used). If anyone was going nuts like I was over the K812 bass bloat, it's fixed. I did not read the whole thread so apologies if this was already commented upon.

How to resolve bass bloat:
1. Take off the pads. Rotate slightly to come off.
2. Identify the fat lip labelled "Sound Sealing".
3. Reinstall the pads back with the fat lip one or two positions upwards. Looking at the pad that's about 11am (L) or 1pm (R). There should be a slight gap between the pad and the frame. That's fine - this helps with reducing bloating. You can test this by trying to achieve a semi-seal with your unmodded K812. Interestingly this is similar to the Abyss - which achieve the best bass quality imo, with a semi-seal.
4. The bass bloat is gone. Yes - it is that simple.

Now you can enjoy closer to reference bass response which is more within the performance limitations of the driver and not a fake bloated bass. All imo. Enjoy!

Hopefully a few more tricks to come in the coming days. We need to do something with the treble, without compromising the excellent imaging and clarity, and I have a few ideas.

I'm loving the midrange, staging, imaging, resolution and transient response. These headphones are underrated.

Rig used:
Eddie Current 2A3MK4
MSB Signature V stack
Toxic Cables Black Widow K812 cables

Heheh! The picture caught my eye: I was like doesn't that look familiar?! I love what the BW does to allow the 812 to really shine. :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,748 of 4,825
Back on the 812/BW off the Cavalli LAu and listening to Andrea Bocelli high res release of his pop albums. Absolutely lovely. After spending so much time with my Stax cans and the HE1000, I am reminded why I still have the 812. :)

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #3,749 of 4,825
Heheh! The picture caught my eye: I was like doesn't that look familiar?! I love what the BW does to allow the 812 to really shine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes - the stock cables sound/feel so poor in comparison. But what have we learnt from this. I wonder what a complete internal recabling including those wires in the cup leading to the drivers will do to these HPs. As it happens I have a selection of Toxic Cables wire bits at home. Just need to find the time.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,750 of 4,825
Yes - the stock cables sound/feel so poor in comparison. But what have we learnt from this. I wonder what a complete internal recabling including those wires in the cup leading to the drivers will do to these HPs. As it happens I have a selection of Toxic Cables wire bits at home. Just need to find the time.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the resulting handiwork. Imagine if you could rewire and mod it to be balanced... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back