AKG K812 Pro
Apr 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,556 of 4,832

Interesting. I'm very interested in AD2000X as well. How does that sound compared to AKG K812 and HD800? 
Someone has mentioned that AD2000 is better than Shure's SRH1840 and HD700.
Does it have wide sound stage?

Gimme a couple of hours to get back to you on this. I've put aside my K812 and am using the AD2000 (bear in mind I have the non 'X'), will be using it for the next hour or so to refresh my impression of it. That's the 'trouble' with having so many cans, one tends to forget what one sounds like after a while, but on the flip side, there's fun to be had in rediscovering the sound again.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #3,557 of 4,832
  Gimme a couple of hours to get back to you on this. I've put aside my K812 and am using the AD2000 (bear in mind I have the non 'X'), will be using it for the next hour or so to refresh my impression of it. That's the 'trouble' with having so many cans, one tends to forget what one sounds like after a while, but on the flip side, there's fun to be had in rediscovering the sound again.

Awesome! It seems like you have all of my dream headphones and using the same Geek Out as a DAC.

Let me know. Is it worth getting AD2000X after owning HD700, HD800, SRH1840, AKG 812?

I'd like to hear about Fidelio X1 headphone too.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,558 of 4,832
Now, bear in mind I'm in no way, shape or form, an audiophile, I simply appreciate good sound with what my less than optimum hearing is capable of. To me, the ATH-AD2000 is very detailed sounding, but a lot of it comes from its treble. The K812 is very detailed sounding as well, but its treble isn't quite near edgy as the AD2k (not that the latter is edgy per se, but it does possess pretty high treble energy, I guess some would call it sparkle). Mids is forward sounding to me, vocals is very good, I'd rate it even better that the HD800/K812 in that it sounds quite forward and there's a element of naturalness about it that the HD800/K812 can't quite seem to match.....especially female vocals. I'm listening to an upsampled Enya album in DSD128 and it sounds near orgasmic to me. Not everything about the AD2k is great though, bass is a tad thin, yes, when a song requires bass, it's there but somewhat lacking in body. I'm leery to say compare soundstage with the HD800/K812, suffice to say it's decently wide and very airy sounding due to the nature of its design.

Just saw you request about the X1, time to swap to the X1 and reacquaint myself with its sound again....

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #3,559 of 4,832
  Now, bear in mind I'm in no way, shape or form, an audiophile, I simply appreciate good sound with what my less than optimum hearing is capable of. To me, the ATH-AD2000 is very detailed sounding, but a lot of it comes from its treble. The K812 is very detailed sounding as well, but its treble isn't quite near edgy as the AD2k (not that the latter is edgy per se, but it does possess pretty high treble energy, I guess some would call it sparkle). Mids is forward sounding to me, vocals is very good, I'd rate it even better that the HD800/K812 in that it sounds quite forward and there's a element of naturalness about it that the HD800/K812 can't quite seem to match.....especially female vocals. I'm listening to an upsampled Enya album in DSD128 and it sounds near orgasmic to me. Not everything about the AD2k is great though, bass is a tad thin, yes, when a song requires bass, it's there but somewhat lacking in body. I'm leery to say compare soundstage with the HD800/K812, suffice to say it's decently wide and very airy sounding due to the nature of its design.

Just saw you request about the X1, time to swap to the X1 and reacquaint myself with its sound again....

Cool, it sounds like AD2k is really good. I'm definitely buying it.
I didn't know if AD2k is good enough to match HD800 / AK812!
I like its design a lot but I was kinda worried because Audio Technica makes headphones mainly for audiophiles and entertainment only not pro audio engineers.

X1 seems quite interesting as well.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3,560 of 4,832

Cool, it sounds like AD2k is really good. I'm definitely buying it.
I didn't know if AD2k is good enough to match HD800 / AK812!
I like its design a lot but I was kinda worried because Audio Technica makes headphones mainly for audiophiles and entertainment only not pro audio engineers.

X1 seems quite interesting as well.

Hey, wait a sec, this is just my opinion, and I ain't no audiophile. Please wait for regulars and experts here to chime in with their take on this. Honestly speaking, after listening to the K812,followed by the ATH-AD2k, the X1 sounds kinda veiled. Treble's kinda recessed, mid's also somewhat recessed but the bass is delicious. I'd not recommend this for serious listening as it's seen more as a fun can to have for a nice bass boost. Besides, it's not in the same price range and league as the ATH-AD2k, let alone the HD800/K812. Fyi, I did take a break before listening to the X1, hoping that my ears would 'forget' the sound of the AD2k (if you A/B two diversely different cans like the AD2k and X1, the X1 would sound bassy and treble would seems severely lacking or even quite veiled). I tried this, A/B'ing my Grado GS1kI and HE400i one after the other, due to the high treble energy of the former, the HE400i sounded kind of veiled and dark because my ears have yet to readjust from the HF sound of the GS1kI. Really messed up my appreciation of the HE400i, thought I'd gotten a faulty unit.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #3,561 of 4,832
  Hey, wait a sec, this is just my opinion, and I ain't no audiophile. Please wait for regulars and experts here to chime in with their take on this. Honestly speaking, after listening to the K812,followed by the ATH-AD2k, the X1 sounds kinda veiled. Treble's kinda recessed, mid's also somewhat recessed but the bass is delicious. I'd not recommend this for serious listening as it's seen more as a fun can to have for a nice bass boost. Besides, it's not in the same price range and league as the ATH-AD2k, let alone the HD800/K812. Fyi, I did take a break before listening to the X1, hoping that my ears would 'forget' the sound of the AD2k (if you A/B two diversely different cans like the AD2k and X1, the X1 would sound bassy and treble would seems severely lacking or even quite veiled). I tried this, A/B'ing my Grado GS1kI and HE400i one after the other, due to the high treble energy of the former, the HE400i sounded kind of veiled and dark because my ears have yet to readjust from the HF sound of the GS1kI. Really messed up my appreciation of the HE400i, thought I'd gotten a faulty unit.

Ok, that's Philip's very first audiophile headphone. I wasn't expecting too much anyways.

I'm glad to be able to confirm that AD2k isn't a joke. I'll buy it this week. Thanks again!

HD800 and AKG812 are on my list as well but it's hard to afford them.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #3,562 of 4,832
Could you describe what difference each of these cables made to the sound?

more generally: I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has experimented with different cables for the K812. Personally I've heard 3 custom cables on the K812, and the only one where I noticed an improvement was made by a hobbyist.

Yes, I can explain you. The most important difference between them and the stock cable is that the sound is more natural, soft, refined and precise. The best I try is the Endorphin, with this cable the K812 takes a really good performance and my gear now have the natural and audiophile sound that I like. The FWA Noir HPC is great too, but maybe the performance is better with the Endorphin, but the price is too different so I think FWA is worth it. Endorphin depends if you could pay for it.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,563 of 4,832
If any K812 owners want to take me up on my offer ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761550/temp-trade-audeze-lcd-xc-x-beyerdynamic-t1-fostex-th900-hifim-he-6-senn-hd800-for-akg-k812-or-grado-ps1000

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,564 of 4,832
  If any K812 owners want to take me up on my offer ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761550/temp-trade-audeze-lcd-xc-x-beyerdynamic-t1-fostex-th900-hifim-he-6-senn-hd800-for-akg-k812-or-grado-ps1000

You won't want to give them back :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,565 of 4,832

You won't want to give them back :)

Ain't that the truth!
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,567 of 4,832
Yes, if the normal T90 is enough to go by, these to me are much better sounding. Better imaging, bass, mids and less peaky treble among other things. Bigger cups and very comfortable - lighter fit than my T1.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,568 of 4,832
  Yes, if the normal T90 is enough to go by, these to me are much better sounding. Better imaging, bass, mids and less peaky treble among other things. Bigger cups and very comfortable - lighter fit than my T1.

Just saw the price of the K812 Pros ($1800 in OZ) 

Definitely not going to be dropping that much cash.

What are you thoughts on the K712 Pro against the T90's?

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3,569 of 4,832

Just saw the price of the K812 Pros ($1800 in OZ) 

Definitely not going to be dropping that much cash.

What are you thoughts on the K712 Pro against the T90's?

Unfortunately I've never heard the K712 Pro. Are you in Australia? Addicted to Audio has them for A$1297 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back