AKG K812 Pro
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,302 of 4,825
So AKG will keep the K812 as their flagship and not release an MKII version anytime soon? I still haven't heard any news about it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #3,303 of 4,825
So AKG will keep the K812 as their flagship and not release an MKII version anytime soon? I still haven't heard any news about it.

I sure hope not... Or there r gunna b some pissed of k812 owners...

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,304 of 4,825
I sure hope not... Or there r gunna b some pissed of k812 owners...

Why? I have the K812 and would buy an improved version. Releasing a new pair of heaphones doesn't make yours worse.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #3,305 of 4,825
Maybe the new AKG N90Q is the new flagship. I don't know.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #3,308 of 4,825
that cannot be

That's why I said "maybe"
wink.gif
but I assume the K812 will be their flagship in the next few years and the N90Q is a different story.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,309 of 4,825
Yes, I don't think the NQ90 will replace the K812 as their best offer.
The K812 may receive further iterations (well, actually I'm sure about that), but I don't think its happening anytime soon. Developing a whole new driver is one thing, but marketing a flagship product also takes time and money. They won't scratch all that too soon.

Plus the K812 *is* a fantastic headphone. Yes, it has its share of faults, like every other flagship product. I still like it and use it quite often, despite the Abyss lying on my desk.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,310 of 4,825
Are you saying that they are better than the Abyss?
Quote:
  Yes, I don't think the NQ90 will replace the K812 as their best offer.
The K812 may receive further iterations (well, actually I'm sure about that), but I don't think its happening anytime soon. Developing a whole new driver is one thing, but marketing a flagship product also takes time and money. They won't scratch all that too soon.

Plus the K812 *is* a fantastic headphone. Yes, it has its share of faults, like every other flagship product. I still like it and use it quite often, despite the Abyss lying on my desk.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,311 of 4,825
Are you saying that they are better than the Abyss?

No, better not necessarily. What I wanted to say was that even with the Abyss at hand I still like the K812s bass and overall musical qualities and use it quite often. The Abyss has fascinating qualities, among which its massive but not overblown bass presentation and its pinpoint stage presentation are the most impressive to me. After getting the Abyss I also started to see that the K812 does get a bit blurred in the treble sometimes.

Nevertheless the K812 has very good comfort, is much lighter than the Abyss and sounds just awesome with my DAC2. Currently this setup appeals very much to me, being compact, highly resolving (Except for the slight treble blur mentioned above) and with good impact that I simply enjoy listening enough to sometimes leave the Abyss at the side.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #3,312 of 4,825
No, better not necessarily. What I wanted to say was that even with the Abyss at hand I still like the K812s bass and overall musical qualities and use it quite often. The Abyss has fascinating qualities, among which its massive but not overblown bass presentation and its pinpoint stage presentation are the most impressive to me. After getting the Abyss I also started to see that the K812 does get a bit blurred in the treble sometimes.

Nevertheless the K812 has very good comfort, is much lighter than the Abyss and sounds just awesome with my DAC2. Currently this setup appeals very much to me, being compact, highly resolving (Except for the slight treble blur mentioned above) and with good impact that I simply enjoy listening enough to sometimes leave the Abyss at the side.

hey plakat, if you do willing to replace the cable with improved materials, either aftermarket or custom made, the k812 treble will be further improved, but you once explained you do not like to change factory settings...

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #3,313 of 4,825
hey plakat, if you do willing to replace the cable with improved materials, either aftermarket or custom made, the k812 treble will be further improved, but you once explained you do not like to change factory settings...

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes, I prefer to keep it stock due to various reasons. And its not that I'm unhappy with the K812 as is, I just wanted to put the Abyss vs. K812 in perspective.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #3,314 of 4,825

Nevertheless the K812 has very good comfort, is much lighter than the Abyss and sounds just awesome with my DAC2. Currently this setup appeals very much to me, being compact, highly resolving (Except for the slight treble blur mentioned above) and with good impact that I simply enjoy listening enough to sometimes leave the Abyss at the side.! you use the Benchmark DAC2 as the amplifier in this case. Or the signal still goes to the amplifier (one of those amps that you have now)?

Hi! you use the Benchmark DAC2 as the amplifier in this case. Or the signal still goes to the amplifier (one of those amps that you have now)??

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,315 of 4,825
  Hi! you use the Benchmark DAC2 as the amplifier in this case. Or the signal still goes to the amplifier (one of those amps that you have now)??

I often use the builtin headphone amp of the DAC2 with the K812 or K7XX, yes. For the Abyss I normally use the V281 as an amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back