AKG K812 Pro
Nov 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,076 of 4,825
Bought k812 for a month and still using sony uda1 to drive it. Planning to accquire violectric hpa v281 to upgrade as it also has balanced output for other headphones.

Do you plan to mod the k812 somehow so that it can be driven balanced?

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,077 of 4,825
No until I heard of some vendor who can safely mod the k812 balanced. 

And seems till now it is not common for k812 mod, I think it is just too difficult for k812 design. I am using a labkable mundorf 99% silver 1% gold cable for k812 and I found the treble and dynamic is much improved while retaining the bass signature, it is quite balanced and I am already quite satisfied with it at the moment.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,078 of 4,825
By the way I send email to lake-people to ask if the seems powerful v281 can pair with low impedance k812. I got replied from Fried Reim that it can pair well and the suggesting gain setting for k812 is at -6 or 0 db.

And he also told me he thinks k701 is the better one with balanced mod (oh??) Anyone agree?

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #3,079 of 4,825
  By the way I send email to lake-people to ask if the seems powerful v281 can pair with low impedance k812. I got replied from Fried Reim that it can pair well and the suggesting gain setting for k812 is at -6 or 0 db.

And he also told me he thinks k701 is the better one with balanced mod (oh??) Anyone agree?

The V281 drives the K812 very well, even with default gain (0dB). Actually its the combination I use most at the moment.

@Cotnijoe Modifying the K812 for balanced is not worth it I think... just look at those flat cables going to the earcups... one would have to do a lot of modifications.

As far as I know the K701 uses a cable with 4 leads, so its rather easy to reterminate with XL4.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,082 of 4,825
Dec 6, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,083 of 4,825
  Just in case anyone is interested - I just finished a comparison between the T1 and AKG K812
http://www.head-fi.org/t/745213/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-part-deux-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-akg-k812

Nicely put together.  Great effort,  great read.  
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #3,084 of 4,825
x2. relate to your description of the k812. felt the same way when i compared it to the hd800. difference being that the hd800's soundstage was just as impressive.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,085 of 4,825
Hello guys. I have a 5 days my K812 but in my opinion they sounds little too flat and too high. They don't have a power of sound. My source is a Asus Xonar STX and amp
AT-HA5000. You think that they will must burn much more longer and they change sound? Or maybe i must change the lane? I wonder of this: ​
http://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-hp-a4.html. Any suggestions? I don't have much money so it must be a budget.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #3,086 of 4,825
@saintkrusher  Don't count on burn-in effects... If you don't like the sound and your source is fine (i.e. music is of good recording quality, DAC+Amp are OK) the headphone might just not suit your taste... It won't change night and day (if at all).

In general the K812 does fine even with sources like an iPhone/iPad, so the A4 should be fine. But if you're looking for more bass slam other headphones like the Ultrasone Signature DJ or the Fostex TH600 might fit you better overall (e.g. if your musical taste is more directed towards electronics). 

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #3,088 of 4,825
This is certainly your source and amp. From my own experience, AT amp sounds best with their own headphones, such as W5000, these are made / tuned for each other, check online, if you like.

Try some other amp first, something budget with tubes, or, solid state that sounds bit warmish, but I wouldn’t keep such headphones if my system couldn’t match for 100%.

Good luck.

Quote:
  Hello guys. I have a 5 days my K812 but in my opinion they sounds little too flat and too high. They don't have a power of sound. My source is a Asus Xonar STX and amp
AT-HA5000. You think that they will must burn much more longer and they change sound? Or maybe i must change the lane? I wonder of this: ​
http://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-hp-a4.html. Any suggestions? I don't have much money so it must be a budget.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,090 of 4,825
Dont know really, I had them and tried with my own amp Sonic Pearl and SPL Phonitor MK1, also on my Cary CAD 300B and found them sound best through Sonic Pearl, where SPL left me with willing more and Cary was nice, but couldnt push them to their full potentials.  You can find my review up here on head fi, if you like, and see if you can find anything interesting there.

With budget amps I was thinking of Little Dot or something like that. Seems that their amps works very well with Grado's, but not so sure about AKG, but before all that, the source have to be good quality, thats where all starts, so, if you have any access to local shops, where you can try differ DAC's and amps, do that first, before you move further. I dont believe in mediocre sources with such studio, high end headpones. Yes, it will make sound from iPhone or iPad or what ever, but even with good technics they use today, these still mediocre sources and thats what you will get from them, nothing more, nothing less.

Thing is, these headphones are pretty new, compared to other high end competitors, so, and not so many people own or try them, this make things bit complicated to make your decision on other man opinion, while there are few only, you see, so, like I already said, just start from simple visit to audio shop where they may sell several DAC's within your budget. This is the best thing you can do anyway.
And, burn in will work, but they need around 300 hours, I pushed my up to 270, maybe little more, and it felt like they settled nicely.

Quote:
  Ok, so what amp are you reccomend? ****t Lyr 2 you think will be ok? But this amp in my country isn't pricy :frowning2:. Something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back