AKG K812 Pro
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2,686 of 4,825
Enjoying Neil Diamond, Heartlight/Columbia, Track #3: "I'm Guilty".
Everything is beautifully laid out with the K812.
Did I read in a review somewhere a criticism that the K812 have a "L-R" spatial layout, without a clear centralising aspect to their imaging?  My experience with the AKGs completely contradicts that misnomer.  Elements are solidly anchored in 3-D space, with a well-defined central focus. 
Having been "wandering about" among the orthodynamics on the market for the past several years, the AKG K812 offer me a refreshing return to "non-planar" dynamic sound.
The K812 are truly fine, and deserving of TOTL status, in my book [ymmv].

Having went down the planar road myself with the much lauded LCD3, I completely agree with you. To my ears the dynamic driver approach presents music in a more lifelike manner than the planners.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,687 of 4,825
Hmm...MacBob, I guess you would call me the latter: I just out on whichever amp I feel like at the moment. What I'll say, however, is the 812 with the WA2 is very seductive and lulling. I do like that combo very much. :)

Too bad you live half a world away, I'd love to hear your Woo Amp with the 812. I've always liked tubed equipment, having previously owned a Conrad Johnson tubed amp and some marvelous Carver tubed gear, but I'm all solid state at the moment.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,688 of 4,825
Too bad you live half a world away, I'd love to hear your Woo Amp with the 812. I've always liked tubed equipment, having previously owned a Conrad Johnson tubed amp and some marvelous Carver tubed gear, but I'm all solid state at the moment.

Verily so, my friend! You should try it with a tube amp one day. The tonal richness is something else to behold! :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #2,689 of 4,825
Having went down the planar road myself with the much lauded LCD3, I completely agree with you. To my ears the dynamic driver approach presents music in a more lifelike manner than the planners.

+2.

I heartily agree with you that well implemented conventional dynamic drivers offer a degree of musical realism that the orthodynamics simply cannot.

After living with and enjoying the HE-6 for a year or so, I welcomed--and in some respects actually preferred(!)--the conventional dynamic of the lowly Mikros 90 closed portables.  [duck]

Among the current planars I have tried, the Oppo PM-1 seem to come the closest to conveying a "cone-driven" dynamic, which is a major reason [i.e. their "conical tendency"] why I enjoy them.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,690 of 4,825
No doubt about it. The K812 outshines the 712 in every musical parameter I can think of. No going back to earlier K models after having the pleasure of hearing the K812.
Glad you like your new rig, you started pretty high, so settle back and just enjoy your tunes. Don't get get caught up in the upgrade fever mode until you really know what you have now. If you go higher , proceed with caution. Try to find a dealer with a good money back guarantee, and try attending some headfi meets when they come to your area. Most of all, have some fun.
what about k1000? :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #2,691 of 4,825
Finally got my k812 back from the repair shop. Remember the one that had the loose small screw on the right ear driver? Well, instead of akg repairing it, they gave me a brand new k812, very nice of them!

Man I've missed this sound signature. I've been listening to the hd800 the last 3 weeks and this...THIS makes me really missed the k812. Really happy to have then back

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,693 of 4,825
Are we talking DAP, or portable DAC/amp? It sounds quite good out of a DX90, but I've gotten the best results out of a HUGO

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,696 of 4,825
So you're planning to use the DAP as a transport for files then? I don't know that you can bypass the DAC section in the DX90. Why not just use an iPod with a camera connection kit then?

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,698 of 4,825
Just an iPod touch works very well. I prefer this method since I love how quick and fluent the user interface on a iPod touch/iPhone feels. Other players such as the DX90 just feel sluggish to me in that respect. Plugging the K812 straight into an iPod is not bad, but it sounds best when properly amplified for sure

And it depends on the DAC you are connecting to I suppose. The DX90 is very crisp, spacious and punchy. I think M-13 likened it to a Concero DAC.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,699 of 4,825
I read that this only works with a small number of USB DACs, but that probably pertained to DACs that can plug straight into an iPod without using the camera connection kit?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/678765/ipods-and-external-dacs#post_9744661

My Wavelength Proton USB DAC works with the standard USB audio driver on Linux.

Does the iPod's volume control still work with a USB DAC attached?  I don't like the sound of my DAC's hardware mixer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back