AKG K702
Dec 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 17
Not really, imo. They are quite large (and do not fold, or twist or anything). And being open cans, do not isolate very well - letting in a lot of ambient noise. 

They are fantastic cans - but probably not for portable use. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 17
I second the "not really"  They are huge and do not fold up.

I would recommend some V Moda M80 or V80 ( same sound signature but different design choices ).
They are extremely portable, sound amazing, are built like tanks, and come with an awesome case.
$200

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 17
+1

Or the Sennheiser 25-1 ii (for about the same price). 

Both would be great for your stated music choices as well.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 17
Impedance just means how many Ohm's resistance they present to the portable player or amplifier. A higher number of Ohms requires more voltage from the amplifier - to power properly - but due to the nature of electricity - means you can have many more pairs of headphones connected to the same system (helpful in a production/studio environement). 

The differing impedance versions can also have different sound signatures - due to the nature of headphone voice coils. 

Usually for portable headphones, unless you intend to have a separate portable amplifier, you want to use a headphone with a relatively low (80 Ohm or less - 32 ohm is common) impedance. That will ensure good listening volume from a portable device.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Denon D2000 might be a good option to consider - if you find a set on sale (J&R had them for a good price, I think) or used. A bit bulky, but nothing compared with the AKG 702... 

The Shure SRH-940 are also quite good.

Is sound isolation important to you (either blocking ambient noise like on the bus/train, or not having others hear your music)?

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 17
OK - then the ones I provided (or the V-moda's you solicited feedback on) all isolate well. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Denon D2000 might be a good option to consider - if you find a set on sale (J&R had them for a good price, I think) or used. A bit bulky, but nothing compared with the AKG 702... 

The Shure SRH-940 are also quite good.

Is sound isolation important to you (either blocking ambient noise like on the bus/train, or not having others hear your music)?

The D2000 cable would be a pain to transport. I get really annoyed with it just moving it around in my house, it's more like a snake than a cable. You could always recable I guess, but the isolation is hardly top notch so I'm not sure why you would use it as a portable.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 17
I felt they isolated pretty well. But I do not usually bother with closed cans anyway - so I do not have a strong point of reference. If I absolutely need isolation, I have some IEMs. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 17
K702 don't isolate at all and leak a lot and require good amping so are probably among the worst for portable use. D2000 while technically being closed still leak a fair bit and don't isolate all that well.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 17
No isolation, leak sound like crazy, huge, and need an amp to sound really good, so no.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 17
For your musical tastes, I'd like to suggest the AIAIAI TMA-1. Great portable headphone, best build-quality I've ever seen and great for on the road.
Furthermore, the Shure SRH-840 is perhaps a can that is more suited for your musical tastes (in comparison to the Shure SRH-940 mentioned earlier, certainly for portable use).

Regards,

ric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back