AKG K702 (The Classic) vs. K612 Pro (The Upstart) – Review and Comparison
Oct 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 232
Well yeah, graphs don't paint everything in a headphone's sound, case in point, the D7000's graphs. The D7000 sounds like how the TH900's graphs look like to me. The graph on the D7000 on Headroom graph shows a steep roll off in sub bass. To me, the D7000 is sub bass first, everything else second.

It's a good point of reference though.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 232
Well yeah, graphs don't paint everything in a headphone's sound, case in point, the D7000's graphs. The D7000 sounds like how the TH900's graphs look like to me. The graph on the D7000 on Headroom graph shows a steep roll off in sub bass. To me, the D7000 is sub bass first, everything else second.

It's a good point of reference though.

Here's another one for the K601:

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&page=5&document_srl=8449

Yuck!

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 232
That graph makes the K601 look a lot less appealing...

I like their MA900 graph. I usually see quite a difference in their stock graph vs their EQ-ed graph. The MA900 has almost no differences. That's how well balanced it is to them (which I agree on).

http://en.goldenears.net/14492

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 232
@ Acix - thanks, and appreciate the insight on the K702 (with different dacs/amps).  If I ever get to a Head-Fi Meet in the US, then that's something I'd like to try if I get the chance.

@veldt - just my very subjective opinion.  I still say the HD600 IMO is the closest to 'real life' I've heard - particularly in timbre and tone.  But for someone who can't afford an HD600 - the K612 is a really nice substitute on a budget.

@viralcow - thanks.  I'll check the pics again when I get home tonight.  I may well have them transposed.

@Armaegis - makes interesting viewing.  I just wish there was an actual K612 graph in the wild!

@Tdock - wish I could hear the K601 at some stage.  The K612 to my ears definitely is less peaky than both K702 (and from memory - the Q701 I owned as well).  I'm one of 'that camp' that couldn't tell a lot of difference between the K701/K702 and Q701 - except for Q701 having a smidge more bass.

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 232
Thanks for the write up.

I've just ordered a pair along with an AUNE X1 mk2 as an affordable set-up to use while my normal home office amp/dac/speakers are packed away to make the house "tidy & minimal" while we attempt to sell it. Currently own an old pair of Grado SR-60 and some Audio Technica ATH-ES55 I use at work with an iPod Classic so really looking forward to getting these.

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 232
@Lumos, @xkonfuzed, @ Twinster, 
Thanks - it turned into quite a bit of time writing it up - but I enjoyed it.

@matt03,
Please post back once you spend some time with them.  Always interesting to hear other's impressions of them. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #26 of 232
Oct 15, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #27 of 232
Brooko,

Thanks for the excellently written review and comparison.  I own neither of the headphones in question but it made for very interesting reading and sparked my curiosity about the AKG's.  I'm aware it's out of your target price range but based on your sound signature preferences and if you have the chance:  try auditioning the HifiMan HE-500 if you haven't yet done so, I think you'll enjoy it.  I currently own the HD-800, HE-6 and since one week I've been auditioning the HE-500.  The HD-800 are very transparent and beyond any doubt the kings of soundstage but to my ears (evaluation ongoing) they can be too much of a good thing with certain types of music.  Excellent with large cassical ensembles but for more intimate chamber music or jazz I find them a bit too expansive and if the recording is not of pristine quality their transparency and amazing resolving capability becomes more of a drawback than an asset.  I really like the HE-6, find them to surpass the HD-800 in most areas (personal preference) but they require serious amplification in order to sound good and don't come cheap.  

The HE-500 I've been auditioning though ticks almost all my boxes:  it's a bit on the warmer side and projects a more intimate soundstage but paired with my DAC/AMP (Violectric V800/V200)  I find them absolutely perfect for some types of music such as smaller ensembles and also -though  I don't listen to the genre very often, jazz- better, imho than both the HD-800 and the HD-6 in this particular niche and to my ears.  I hasten to add that I'm not an expert at all but if you have the chance, give the HE-500 a short audition.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #28 of 232
@Xenophon - thanks for the advice.  I'll eventually get to a meet in the US if I can time one of my business trips correctly.  Then I'll get a chance to hear a lot of the higher end gear I've been missing.

I just managed to buy a pair of RS1's (Classic B) - main reason I had to sell the AKGs - and am currently using them for a variety of genres (including jazz).  Very, very enjoyable.

As you already have a lot of higher end gear, I probably can't see the 612 or 702 being of much interest to you - but for someone on an entry to mid-fi budget, the 612 really is a good alternative.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #29 of 232
Nice review, very easy to read and lot's of pictures! :D I think I shall steal much of your formating for my own [lenghty and utterly boring] reviews ^^ 

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #30 of 232
Well everything turned up today much to my surprise, I'll use them for a week before posting any views. 

Only bad thing so far is as I suspected my old SR-60s have developed a rattle so I'll have to take a look at the driver for anything stuck in there :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back