AKG K702 (The Classic) vs. K612 Pro (The Upstart) – Review and Comparison
Sep 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #122 of 232
Hi guys,

New to this forums and my first posting.

I am contemplating whether to get the AKG K612 Pro or the K712 Pro.

Considering the K712 is slightly more than double the price of the K612 (at least in my country), is choosing the K712 over the K612 a no-brainer?

These headphones will mainly be used for gaming as well as for listening to classical jazz & blues tunes.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you!

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #123 of 232
  Hi guys,

New to this forums and my first posting.

I am contemplating whether to get the AKG K612 Pro or the K712 Pro.

Considering the K712 is slightly more than double the price of the K612 (at least in my country), is choosing the K712 over the K612 a no-brainer?

These headphones will mainly be used for gaming as well as for listening to classical jazz & blues tunes.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you!

Actually the K712 is only slightly better than the K612 overall, enough for me to favor them but not worth double the price. The K612 does do somethings better such as it's more transparent and has a more balanced and neutral sound. It's more forward in the mids than the K712. I think the K612 would be better for you considering your genres and the K712 is only slightly better for gaming than the K612. The K712 isn't really worth the extra cost. So I would suggest the K612 to you personally.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #127 of 232
I'm deciding between these two right now.  I have the K712 and I miss the "airy" quality of my old, Austrian made K701s... which I did NOT think lacked in bass.  Which is the better choice, for the money?  Does the K612 have "memory foam" ear pads?  AKG cites the same replacement for the K612, K712, and the K702 Annie but I'm not sure which one it (the K612) actually ships with?

Thanks in advance!

PS  I see the newest Chinese K702 seem to all come with a flat headband (no bumps!)  Is there a part number or something, some easy way of making sure I buy the flat headband and not the bumpy version, if I go K702 over K612???

...or...  do I wait for the next Massdrop on the K7XX?

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #128 of 232
  I'm deciding between these two right now.  I have the K712 and I miss the "airy" quality of my old, Austrian made K701s... which I did NOT think lacked in bass.  Which is the better choice, for the money?  Does the K612 have "memory foam" ear pads?  AKG cites the same replacement for the K612, K712, and the K702 Annie but I'm not sure which one it (the K612) actually ships with?

Thanks in advance!

PS  I see the newest Chinese K702 seem to all come with a flat headband (no bumps!)  Is there a part number or something, some easy way of making sure I buy the flat headband and not the bumpy version, if I go K702 over K612???

Interesting a friend of mine commented about just what you said was the difference between the old Austrian made k 701s and his new k712s which are still not completely broken in. I listened to them just yesterday and they are not completely broken in compared to my old k 701s. But they do sound a lot alike in a lot of ways. But they are hungry and need a robust amp to ring the best from them. I am using a monster vintage concept 16.5 to drive my headphones. The old vintage amp which has been recapped and seems to drive the akgs and just about any headphone with an ability that none of the headphone amps that I have heard including the cavaliis. The concept is way more powerful and plays with an authority that I just do not hear in todays headphone amps .
   I have upgraded the fuses in my concept to isoclean fuses and that has really made a difference in the way the concept receiver sounds.
I use the concept exclusively for headphone use.  I doubt I could get one of the better headphone amps for anywhere near the cost. For that matter these old vintage beasts will probably beat the pants off just about any headphone amp at least that I have heard including the cavallis.
   But I still after almost six years am surprised by the sound of k701s , They have stood the test of time and in someways they even best my lcd2 v2s.At least on the top end. The audezes are amazing at the bottom octaves but lack the air that the k 701s possess at the top. The lcd2 v2s do not have the the soundstaging abilities of the k701s either.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #129 of 232

Interesting a friend of mine commented about just what you said was the difference between the old Austrian made k 701s and his new k712s which are still not completely broken in. I listened to them just yesterday and they are not completely broken in compared to my old k 701s. But they do sound a lot alike in a lot of ways. But they are hungry and need a robust amp to ring the best from them. I am using a monster vintage concept 16.5 to drive my headphones. The old vintage amp which has been recapped and seems to drive the akgs and just about any headphone with an ability that none of the headphone amps that I have heard including the cavaliis. The concept is way more powerful and plays with an authority that I just do not hear in todays headphone amps .
   I have upgraded the fuses in my concept to isoclean fuses and that has really made a difference in the way the concept receiver sounds.
I use the concept exclusively for headphone use.  I doubt I could get one of the better headphone amps for anywhere near the cost. For that matter these old vintage beasts will probably beat the pants off just about any headphone amp at least that I have heard including the cavallis.
   But I still after almost six years am surprised by the sound of k701s , They have stood the test of time and in someways they even best my lcd2 v2s.At least on the top end. The audezes are amazing at the bottom octaves but lack the air that the k 701s possess at the top. The lcd2 v2s do not have the the soundstaging abilities of the k701s either.

I had a chance to to buy an original Concept 16.5 a couple of years ago.  It's one purchase I regret never making.  I'm actually a speaker guy... NO!  A *vintage* speaker (and amplifier) guy.  I've owned everything from a Pioneer SX-1980 (I never should have sold) to vintage stuff from McIntosh, NAD, Onkyo (the M-508 I had was gorgeous!), Yamaha, Adcom, Parasound, etc. and speakers from the Teledyne AR years, Dalquist, Snell, Vandersteen, Infinity, Polk, and too many more to mention.  I love old iron and old cones and real wood! 

That said I really use my headphones mostly at my computer and need a desktop amp (currently running a lightly modded Creek OBH-11) and some AKG cans that bring back my fond memories of the K701... without those damn bumps!  
angry_face.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #130 of 232
  I had a chance to to buy an original Concept 16.5 a couple of years ago.  It's one purchase I regret never making.  I'm actually a speaker guy... NO!  A *vintage* speaker (and amplifier) guy.  I've owned everything from a Pioneer SX-1980 (I never should have sold) to vintage stuff from McIntosh, NAD, Onkyo (the M-508 I had was gorgeous!), Yamaha, Adcom, Parasound, etc. and speakers from the Teledyne AR years, Dalquist, Snell, Vandersteen, Infinity, Polk, and too many more to mention.  I love old iron and old cones and real wood! 

That said I really use my headphones mostly at my computer and need a desktop amp (currently running a lightly modded Creek OBH-11) and some AKG cans that bring back my fond memories of the K701... without those damn bumps!  
angry_face.gif

I really do not mind the bumps at least me. The k712s headband is bumpless but at the same time it s not as wide. I did not like that about the new 712s. But you may be right about the added openness on the top with the older akg 701. My friend did make some comments about that when he returned my k 701. Obviously he liked them because he purchased the k712 .
   If you ever get a chance for another concept 16.5 jump on it you will not regret it. The 16.5 awakens the k701 like no dedicated headphone amp that I have heard.
   If I lived in California I might have tried having pacific stereo (the repair shop not the long defunct stereo chain) rework the concept from what I read on the net his reworks are something special. My receiver was reworked according to the store I bought it from. It certainly is sounding very good now that I have some time on it and the fuse upgrade has definitely made a very noticeable improvement.
  I would really like to find a good service shop in my area and maybe have my concept reworked with some cerafine caps along with possibly some film caps as well. It would probably cost me but it would bring what is already an excellent headphone amp to another level of excellence .

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #131 of 232
I don't mind the bumps, either, and one can literally count the hairs on top of my head. I had my wife try the cans for comfort - she, thankfully, has a lot of hair - and she didn't even realize they were there until I showed them to her. Can't figure it out, since it's safe to assume that most of the younger folks have hair. Even with an almost bare scalp, I completely forget about the bumps within minutes of wearing the cans. And that usually happens right after I change from HPs with a completely different design.
:confused:

Edit: Just tested this out to make sure I wasn't exaggerating. I was using DT880/600 for the last few hours, and just switched to K702. Can't really feel the bumps, unless I solely concentrate on feeling them.

BTW, if some have been contemplating the bass mod for their K702, I can't recommend it enough. Zero drawbacks and bass you can feel. These are my favorite headphones.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #132 of 232
I don't mind the bumps, either, and one can literally count the hairs on top of my head. I had my wife try the cans for comfort - she, thankfully, has a lot of hair - and she didn't even realize they were there until I showed them to her. Can't figure it out, since it's safe to assume that most of the younger folks have hair. Even with an almost bare scalp, I completely forget about the bumps within minutes of wearing the cans. And that usually happens right after I change from HPs with a completely different design.

confused.gif

It's not like mine were dipped in fire ants or battery acid or anything.  I thought they were fine too, at first.  I could wear them for an hour, maybe two, without any discomfort.  But if I went for an all day binge, listening to music, attempting to make music, and maybe some gaming too, sooner or later it was the bumps that got to me.  Perhaps it has to do with the size of my head?  I have a relatively large head and hats that fit other people must be adjusted larger for me.

I dunno...  I do know that I find the K712 far more comfortable and as I've had some time off from work for the holidays I've already worn them for several hours.  Sometimes I end up adjusting the headband a bit but really I don't have to fuss with them much.  They DO feel a bit loose, even to me.  My well worn M50 feel like a vice crushing my head now, by comparison!

So does anyone own the K612 that could verify whether or not that model comes with memory foam earpads too?

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #135 of 232
[...]  What's the longest you usually wear them for, at a single go? Usually, anywhere from 2-4 hours, Longest I've gone is ~14 hours (all day).  What's your typical long session like, time wise? I play music all day long; one of the befits of working from home. During the day I mostly use my main system, but when my family gets home I switch to headphones. I'm estimating anywhere from 4-8 hours of daily headphone listening.

Reply in bold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back