AKG K702 Sound Crap?
Aug 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

pasi123567

Head-Fier
I bought them 3 days ago and used them all day long because I thought its finally time to upgrade form my 60$ Turtle Beach headset.
But now after listening, everytime I switch to my turtle beach I find them better. They sound more clear in highs and vocals. Vocals also seem to be more present and on the K702 sometimes the "S" sound hurts me.
The only improvement I see is the bass. Its stronger and more clear.
I mostly listen to electronic music.
What am I doing wrong? I feel like I wasted alot of money.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 57
I had the 702 and really liked them. Are they brand new? What amp are you using?

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 57
Ok, give them a little time. Maybe run them for a while and try the O2. The k702 need a good amp. The right amp will make a big difference. The o2 is probably a step up from what you are using.

The S sound that you are referring to is sibilance and I don't remember mine being that way when I sold them.

Also, you are going from a headphone that is radically different to the 702 so give your ears a little time to get used to it.

The 702 wouldn't be my first choice for electronic. What made you decide on those?

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 57
The 702 wouldn't be my first choice for electronic. What made you decide on those?

I wanted an headphone with less than average bass because I'm more of a vocals and highs guy. But it seems like they dont do that for me.

If the amp doesnt change anything I will send them back. Do you know a better headphone for my taste and same price?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 57
Ah ok. You should be ok. Wait to get the new amp and see what happens.

If you decide to return them look at the Massdrop K7XX. My father in law has it and I really like the sound. It's slightly warmer. Chances are it is also cheaper than the K702.

I personally really like Planar Magnetic headphones. My most used headphone is the Audeze EL-8c. The bass is pretty neutral and the highs are great. Also Massdrop has a HiFiman HE4XX on sale right now. I personally haven't heard it but it seems to be what you are looking for based on your preference.

What is your budget?

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 57
When do you get the o2? The HD598 sound really good too especially for the price. That would be another option.

Maybe someone else has thoughts.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 57
I'm not personally a fan of the "AKG sound". I think for the sound you're looking for, try to find a pair of DT880's. Any ohm variation would work - I personally like the 250 version because it's versatile and sounds good through most sources.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 57
I'm not personally a fan of the "AKG sound". I think for the sound you're looking for, try to find a pair of DT880's. Any ohm variation would work - I personally like the 250 version because it's versatile and sounds good through most sources.
I didn't think of that... If you like mid/highs that's a good idea. They are definitely worth a listen.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 57
Yeah. The DT880 is one of my all time favorite headphones. I give it the same regard as the HD600 and HD650. In a lot of ways, I prefer the DT880. It's one of my "if I could only have one headphone" headphones lol

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 57
Thanks, I already thought of buying them if the amp will not change anything in sound. Though im no 100% sure if I should get DT880 or DT990
I think the 990 has more bass so maybe the 880 based on what you told us before. Maybe @Hondadude85 can help with that. I've only had a limited time with them at meets.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 57
I've had both the DT990 and DT880. The DT880 is much more neutral with accurate but very deep bass, beautiful mids and an accentuated, detailed yet nice and smooth treble. The DT990 has much stronger bass and stronger treble which make those beautiful mids the 880 has, sound quite recessed. It's a fun pair of headphones but I personally prefer the DT880. Based on your preferences, I would say the 880 for you as well.

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 57
I wanted an headphone with less than average bass because I'm more of a vocals and highs guy. But it seems like they dont do that for me.

If the amp doesnt change anything I will send them back. Do you know a better headphone for my taste and same price?

You sound like an "old AKG sound" guy :wink: I think the DT880 will be a delight. Steer away from the DT990 they are very "V" shaped (lot's of bass, lot's of highs; no really lot's!), though electronic music almost yells for a pair of DT770s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back