AKG K702 Sound Crap?
Aug 23, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #32 of 57
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #34 of 57
I just replaced them with the DT880 hopefully a good decision

Which DT 880? I like AKGs but honestly they haven't sounded quite the same since they switched to Chinese from Austria manufacturing and the K712(only K7 still made in Europe I believe) is the best sounding of the K7 series to my ears and I liked the K612 as well but sadly the Chinese manufacturing shift hurt build quality and sound quality in my experience. Right now on the mid-tier headphones I think it's really best to start with the DT 880, DT 150(for closed), and the HD 600/650. All of these headphones are well balanced and scale nicely with gear.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #35 of 57
Which DT 880?
250ohm should be okay with my O2 amp

CLCFsCP.png

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #37 of 57
Okay so I used the DT880 for about a day and in comparison I definitely like the K702 more.
It seems to have a lot more detail and sounds in general. the DT880 just sounds empty to me.
The bass on the K702 is better in my opinion too. While on the DT880 it just seems to be this Pump sound, on the K702 it was longer.(or what you call it)
I dont think the bass is lacking anymore but I do want a bit more highs now. Everytime I switch to my Turtle Beach I want to have those highs on my K702, they are just so good.
Sibilance has went away or I got used to it. DT880 has less sibilance in general.
I'm sticking with the K702. Maybe EQ can help me get good highs

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #38 of 57
It takes a lot of time to get the 702 sound
: After at least
400/500 hours of music...

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #39 of 57
It takes a lot of time to get the 702 sound
: After at least
400/500 hours of music...
+1 on this. I had mine for years before I really appreciated them.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #40 of 57
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #41 of 57
Lol im so depressed right now.
After comparing for much longer and listening for much longer I can conclude this:
The turtle beach definitely sounds worse now but I had another gaming headset. The Logitech G430
I switched back and forth all the time probably now +10 hours.
The logitech just sounds better. It has even more volume in the sound than the K702.
I wasted so much money.... I want my money back so damn hard now.
"Gaming headsets all sound crap" Yeah *** the people who are saying that.
"Soundstage" Whats that? I dont notice that in ANY way.
Studio headphones are useless
I'm mad

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #45 of 57
The logitech just sounds better. It has even more volume in the sound than the K702.
The thing about sounding crap was just before I got the amp. With the amp they sound good. But I like the sound of the G430 gaming headset more.
Not for gaming but for music. I rarely game in the last months

G403 and other gaming headsets have very high sensitivity (efficiency) since they're designed to work with even just a limited current/voltage USB soundcard that usually comes with them.

Anything that can go louder easily can tend to sound "better" to most people the same way recording companies are waging a Loudness War in quashing dynamic range. Louder easily sounds better because you hear everything, never mind even if the recordings have quashed dynamic range in the case of modern mastering standards.

A lot of other factors come in here as well. For a start, helping out efficiency is isolation. The G430 is closed back, on top of which its response below 50hz is better. Louder sounds better already and then it sounds fuller because you have less interference - in terms of distortion and ambient noise - vs the bass. The K702 has lower sensitivity and open back earcups. Just the cooling system on a gaming rig will get in the way of that, which is why I don't even use my HD600 on my gaming rig nor use that as a source for listening to music. Even at idle I have two 16dB intake fans and a 12dB fan that's blowing against a waffle grill on the exhaust (ie the max dB rating on the fan means nothing for exhaust port or radiator use).

On top of that the AKGs have a self adjusting headband that tends to fit too loose on some heads, further affecting lower frequencies as it can't use the earpads to create a seal. Even if you're driving the K702 with a Burson Conductor that won't get around that problem.

Most likely the music you listen to doesn't even have any soundstage to be imaged to begin with. On other recordings you're supposed to hear the vocals clearly ahead of the other instruments dead center, which is easy enough to do. What the K702 does is image it like this will be at your forehead if not outside your head. And then where in other headphones the percussion will be clearly behind that the K702 images the drums far behind that, with drums moved to the center (unlike how people love the aggressive in your face splash of cymbals on Grados, which if you shrink a band down to scale to teh size of your head, puts the cymbals at the ears - that's like having action figures playing the music but Mr. Fantastic is showing off his stretchy hands for the cymbals).

This adds another problem for why people who like anything as different from the K702 as possible: imaging everything else farther out from the listener, particularly the percussion including the bass drum, as well as the bass guitar, makes it sound relatively weak. It's even farther from a chest thumping bass drum like with ACDC and Def Lepard than any other headphone, and headphones unlike speakers have to make that compromise. On proper speakers in a properly dampened room the bass drum will sound like it's coming from waaaaay behind the vocals, but you don't give up the chest thump senstation since the speakers fill the room with soundwaves regardless of how they image. So as long as they have a strong enough low end you'll get that. With headphones it's a compromise between head-thumping bass whether it's Grado's upper bass or total bass boost on bass headphones, or a deep soundstage.

Again though if none of that make sense to you the K702 is definitely not the headphones for you. It's for people who need to use a headphone but really would much rather use speakers, except they can't (shared walls, sleeping babies, etc).

Lol im so depressed right now.
---
I wasted so much money.... I want my money back so damn hard now.
"Gaming headsets all sound crap" Yeah *** the people who are saying that.
I'm mad

This is why if I don't get the vibe that somebody has some background in speaker audio I try to sway them away from AKGs and just go with Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back