AKG k702....Possible regret?
Jul 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #31 of 99

Quote:
It must be my lucky day because my friend just sold me me his extra pair of HD-600's for $150. Listening to them now...and they sound pretty fantastic! Oh no, I guess I have that bug you guys were talking about.
darthsmile.gif

The headphones were already broken in (so I was told). But wow, my jaw is on the floor. Now I can't wait to get more into this. I don't even have a proper amp yet, and I'm hearing music like I've never have before. Mind you this is just first impressions. Now I'm pretty excited to try out the K702's to do a comparison. Altho it might be unfair, as the 702's will be brand new.

I really need to get an amp.

Despite the difference in sound signature, I bet you the HD600's will sound better to you than the 'new' 702's.  They will be at a disadvantage lol.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #32 of 99

Quote:
It must be my lucky day because my friend just sold me me his extra pair of HD-600's for $150. Listening to them now...and they sound pretty fantastic! Oh no, I guess I have that bug you guys were talking about.
darthsmile.gif

The headphones were already broken in (so I was told). But wow, my jaw is on the floor. Now I can't wait to get more into this. I don't even have a proper amp yet, and I'm hearing music like I've never have before. Mind you this is just first impressions. Now I'm pretty excited to try out the K702's to do a comparison. Altho it might be unfair, as the 702's will be brand new.

I really need to get an amp.

Careful that you don't get addicted to buying gear, and that you don't overspend. It's so easy to just want more and more gear, and overshoot your budget. Thats a mistake I have made lately with hi-fi. In the last couple of months I have bought a Buffalo DAC, new speakers and now the K702's. Should not have spent so much, but for some reason I felt like I "needed" these things. Silly really.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 99
Good advice. I'll limit myself to just two headphones for now. Either I'll keep the K702s or I'll get a refund and get a pair of Grados. Either way I won't go beyond that for now.

Still need and amp, but I'll make sure to research and buy just one. I'm pretty frugal usually,  but when my friend found out I was expanding this hobby, he had an extra pair he wanted to sell to me. And the price was very good. So I didn't want to pass up.
L3000.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #34 of 99

Quote:

they lack bass and are tinny sounding .... is balanced b22 decent enough ?

"Lush" is not a word I would use to describe them.

I did like them (but yes they can sound thin at times and I did need to EQ the bass up), but with prog. rock and jazz (cheers to the Rush fan
beerchug.gif
) they are quite commendable IMO.

For rock/metal, the SR225i's would be the way to go. Actually both would be very complimentary cans to have in a collection.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 99

Quote:
Don't worry, 95% of us dislike the Beats.
And we're pretty laid back in the end despite some overwhelming debates 
duggehsmile.png

Glad you're enjoying it. Half the fun of Head-fi is in the journey, just don't let it anywhere near your wallet.

I would venture to say: 99.99% is more accurate.
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 99
Again, it's up to you whether you feel the K702's have enough bass or sound right. It could be "thin" for some, but good enough for others. I like jazz, classical, pop, and rock(not the heavy stuff) and the bass is pretty good. hmmm.. I'd like just a little more bass on some tracks, but the K702's are definitely not thin to me.
Having said that, the one thing that bugs me is the headband - it can get uncomfortable with the headphones resting on my head for more than 2 hrs.  You may or may not find that an issue. As far as the music goes, though, there's a lot to like about it.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #40 of 99
Both the 600 and 702 are pretty good cans for the price. A used 702 goes for under 2. Both will perform better with a good amp. Both need a good amp to stand above comparable priced cans. I lived with the 580 modded with the 701 for a month. In the end, I liked the highs a little better on the 701s. Either would be worth building a system around.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #43 of 99

Quote:
MacedonianHero said:

Cool...where?

I'm seeing them here in their hometown (Toronto) this summer as well (for 6th time).

I'm catching them in Irvine, Ca. I know I'm only 22, but I share your guys excitement in finally getting to see the Camera Eye live. Can't wait to see Moving Pictures in its entirety.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #44 of 99
The K701 is really, really boring without an amp. Where's the instrument separation? Where's the soundstage? For unamped listening I could think of quite a few better models - the Audio Technicas, probably even the new T50p does better with no powerful amp around. 

(edited - without an amp, not with boring with an amp).

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #45 of 99

Quote:
Both the 600 and 702 are pretty good cans for the price. A used 702 goes for under 2. Both will perform better with a good amp. Both need a good amp to stand above comparable priced cans. I lived with the 580 modded with the 701 for a month. In the end, I liked the highs a little better on the 701s. Either would be worth building a system around.

Thanks for this. Does anyone have a good recommendation for an amp for both HD 600 and k702s? Ideally I would like to keep it under $400...but if need be, I'll wait till I have the money the spend.

I'm going to be looking in the FS forum and online for some. I keep hearing good things about the MKIII's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back