AKG K702 or Q701 vs Sennheiser HD600 or 650 vs Fidelio X1
May 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Wildgift

Head-Fier
Looking for a nice open ear unit with nice high end. I'll be using with a Pono come the autumn, my MacBook Pro and my Topping vx1 amp. I also have a fiio E11 to use if need be. I listen to stuff from The Clash to Neil Young. Pounding bass not a priority; I'm more interested in a nice soundstage and crisp highs. I tried and returned some Fidelio L1s. I found them not comfortable. Should I also think about Beyerdynamics? I'd like to keep it under $250.

Thanks very much for any guidance!

May 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 37
I can't find any into on a Topping VSX amplifier?

The Philips Fidelio X1 headphones are only 30-Ohms and should easy work plugged directly into your Macbook Pro.

May 14, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 37
How do they sound? They look great. Comfortable?

I'm not really sure i can describe the Fidelio X1's sound, in comparison to other headphones.
But the Fidelio's bass seems well liked.

I'm going to guess the K702 & Q701s would work better with an amp like the VX1, over a low Ohm headphone like the Fidelio.
The FiiO E11 would be a good match for the Fidelios.
Also the AKG 7XX series seem to have great things said about the soundstage/surround sound.

May 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 37
I had the Q701 and HD650, have the HD600. I've never heard the X1 nor the K702 (which must be pretty similar to the Q701). The AKG has a lack of bass. It's not even neutral, it's really bass light. The voices sound a bit shouty and so I found them fatiguing. The soundstage is very wide but doesn't image as good as the HD650. The highs are very present and well defined and if that's what you want, you can forget the HD650. They really are veiled. It's like listening to good speakers with a blanket covering them.

So I opted for the HD600 and can't regret. Good highs, neutral bass and voices that sound very lifelike and they aren't the least bit fatiguing.

May 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 37
If you want a big soundstage and crisp highs, that's precisely how I describe K70x.

May 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 37
I'm more interested in a nice soundstage and crisp highs.

Claritas (above) has it.  I've owned all of the above with the exception of the X1 and HD650 - but demoed the HD650 extensively before deciding on the HD600.

If you include the DT880 into the above mix as well - then ranking per what you suggested above (without the X1 which I haven't heard) would be:

K702/Q701 > DT880 > HD600 > HD650

Any of the first trio K702 / DT880 / HD600 you'll find pretty good though.  To me - they remain the 3 kings of mid-fi.

May 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 37
I can't attest to much in the way of a comparison between those you've listed, but I have owned the X1's for about 4 months now. The clarity of the HD650's, from what I've heard, is very good; but they will require decent amplification (300ohms). I can tell you from my experience with the Tesla T1's that high impedance will be a potential source of frustration and overall not letting them reach their potential.  The E11 can provide slightly more power, but will not effectively drive the 650's.  As purpleangel said, the X1's are much more efficient (30ohm). The AKG's are about half as efficient (62ohm), but still much lower in impedance than the 650's. You shouldn't have any issue powering those two.

Now as far as the X1's are concerned, I can attest to their comfort more than any other part of them (you mentioned being uncomfortable with the others). They feel like I'm not wearing anything and experienced little to no fatigue after hours of constant use. The sound on the X1's is noticeably less tight than the T1's (they better be for the price gap) and are less bright I would say, but that's not a fair testament to the X1's, as the T1's are known for their treble response to a fault (occasionally shrill and fatiguing).  The treble is occasionally bright on the X1's, however, which surprised me.  The bass response is full for sure, and the mids aren't extremely forward. I would describe their frequency response as being fairly V-shaped. Decent separation, but nothing spectacular. The redeeming quality in the X1's that I've found is their comfort, and that's why I still own them. 

Overall, you won't be able to power the 650's effectively, but they may be more to your taste if you can provide them enough power.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! 

May 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 37
  The AKG's are about half as efficient (62ohm), but still much lower in impedance than the 650's. You shouldn't have any issue powering those two.

<snip>
Overall, you won't be able to power the 650's effectively, but they may be more to your taste if you can provide them enough power.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! 

Actually - the AKG's are effectively harder to power than the HD650.  You'll probably find this really interesting:

http://lsirui.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/k701-vs-hd650-electrical-measurement/ 

Basically because of the AKG's extremely low sensitivity - in order to get the full dynamic range out of them, you will need around twice the voltage for the same volume (compared to HD650) - but more importantly, significantly more current to really get the bass response.  You can get enough volume out of even a lower powered device - but to really hear their potential you'll need a decent solid state amp.

May 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 37
Actually - the AKG's are effectively harder to power than the HD650.  You'll probably find this really interesting:

http://lsirui.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/k701-vs-hd650-electrical-measurement/ 

Basically because of the AKG's extremely low sensitivity - in order to get the full dynamic range out of them, you will need around twice the voltage for the same volume (compared to HD650) - but more importantly, significantly more current to really get the bass response.  You can get enough volume out of even a lower powered device - but to really hear their potential you'll need a decent solid state amp.

That is a pretty interesting article you've got there, I will say. It defies my natural inclination based on impedance, but if true then certainly something to consider. Thanks for that.

May 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 37
Wow... Well, for the k702's I might buy, what amp should I get if I want bass to be sustained into the lower regions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back